Talk:List of J-pop artists
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to this noticeboard. If you are connected to one of the subjects of this article and need help, please see this page.|
|WikiProject Biography / Musicians||(Rated List-class)|
|WikiProject Japan / Biography / Music||(Rated List-class, Mid-importance)|
Number of artists and groups
How to sort bands by "family name"
A lot of the entries are band names, not artist names. In which case it is difficult to sort by surname. --188.8.131.52 02:25, 18 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Want to help?
If anyone's interested in turning some of these red links blue, you can get at least some basic information on many artists from this JPop wiki. Just be sure to credit them. Also, if you know some Japanese, you can search on the Japanese Wikipedia for information on some of these artists and translate it into English. Kamezuki 00:30, September 7, 2005 (UTC)
Ok, I went through the list and did several things:
- Removed the red links; these can still be found on the subpages for each letter, and in my userspace, here. Add them in if you create anything.
- Name conformity; its fine to list them in order by last name, however they need to conform with the WP:MOS-JA standards for names. They all do so now.
- Some other general clean-up; some names were in the wrong section, added subpage links to some sections, etc.
- It does look nicer, but with the red links removed, the list isn’t so comprehensive. I removed a couple of artists in the “A” section for the following reasons:
- Second, are Japanese names (except maybe Utada Hikaru) supposed to be listed here in Western order? I noticed they are in the correct section, but often listed last name first. As such, I corrected a couple of names, but I didn’t delete anything else.
- And third, should this list also include Japanese composers (of anime and video game soundtracks)? I see Yuki Kajiura and Yoko Kanno listed here, but others (Taku Iwasaki, Yasunori Mitsuda, Shiro Sagisu, Toshihiko Sahashi, Yoko Shimomura, Nobuo Uematsu, etc.) are not. ～Michelle 16:25, 13 December 2006 (UTC)
- I went through these pretty late at night so I expected there to be some mistakes that I missed. As for Japanese names being in Western order, if you look at this section of the Manual of Style for Japanese related articles, modern Japanese names are supposed to be in Western order. Personally, I'm not sure if it should include composers. Thanks for the help. --Limetom 19:00, 13 December 2006 (UTC)
I think we need to make this one list from this and the following List of J-Pop artists:A - List of J-Pop artists:B - List of J-Pop artists:C - List of J-Pop artists:D - List of J-Pop artists:E - List of J-Pop artists:F - List of J-Pop artists:G - List of J-Pop artists:H - List of J-Pop artists:I - List of J-Pop artists:J - List of J-Pop artists:K - List of J-Pop artists:L - List of J-Pop artists:M - List of J-Pop artists:N - List of J-Pop artists:O - List of J-Pop artists:P - List of J-Pop artists:R - List of J-Pop artists:S - List of J-Pop artists:T - List of J-Pop artists:U - List of J-Pop artists:V - List of J-Pop artists:W - List of J-Pop artists:Y - List of J-Pop artists:Z. It seems all these sub lists are unmanageable.--BirgitteSB 20:56, 30 November 2007 (UTC)
- Strong support. Too diffuse otherwise. Axem Titanium 16:23, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
- Strong support. Obvious case of content forking. Perhaps well intentioned, but clearly redundant. Hult041956 (talk) 23:13, 4 December 2007 (UTC)
- Support. Note that there appeared to be at least some consensus to do that in the deletion discussion from a year ago. Maybe they need to go to a (2nd) AFD. Also, if we are going to keep the list(s), is "J-pop artist" best for an article title? Jason McHuff (talk) 11:31, 19 December 2007 (UTC)
Finished the merger per consensus here. Tomorrow I will go thru the list again and check to see if the links are to the correct article and that they are in fact a J-pop band. — Save_Us_229 09:09, 8 January 2008 (UTC)
Done Finished merger completely and checked to remove duplicate entires, links going to different articles, non-notable entires and entires that were non- J-pop artists. — Save_Us_229 10:45, 11 January 2008 (UTC)
Given that one of the complaints in the second AfD is that this list doesn't offer any more information than a category (which is specious, per WP:LIST, but it's a complaint offered elsewhere as well), I'm wondering whether it would be more useful to reorganize the list to something loosely chronological, by year of formation or something similar. The complementary category is perforce alphabetical, but this need not be. —Quasirandom (talk) 14:59, 6 August 2008 (UTC)
- Given that the AfD was complete POV and unanimously voted down, I don't see why the list has to change just because of it. I've started going though and pruning the entries, correcting redirects to disambigs, etc. Someone probably needs to make sure that all the artists listed in the category of J-pop artists are listed here as well. That's really the only work that needs to be done to this list. Unless additional information about each artist can be added to give a digest of each article to the readers. --AeronPrometheus (talk) 01:31, 7 August 2008 (UTC)
Not all artists are J-"Pop" artists.
Uhh, this is kinda minor/major depending on how you look at it. Some of the artists listed here probably shouldn't be on the list, given the definition that "pop" refers to popular music in Japan (I am correct on this, right? it doesn't refer to the genre of pop?).
Main point: check over the artists/facts before adding them on (I like what Revth said about using .) Just letting people know because there's are lots of artists to go through and I may be shearing off some of them.
Also, another point about listed artists not being J-pop artists. I've noticed a lot of visual-kei bands being added on here, and I don't want to lump them all together, but generally speaking, visual-kei artists are not popular in Japan and their songs don't hit the charts and aren't well-known.
I know it's an extremely popular genre of Japanese music outside of Japan but as for actually being classified as J-pop, I'm not so sure. I don't want to start any wars, but uhh, if there are any differing opinions, do talk here.
File:Akfg group 2.jpg Nominated for speedy Deletion
|An image used in this article, File:Akfg group 2.jpg, has been nominated for speedy deletion at Wikimedia Commons for the following reason: Copyright violations
Don't panic; deletions can take a little longer at Commons than they do on Wikipedia. This gives you an opportunity to contest the deletion (although please review Commons guidelines before doing so). The best way to contest this form of deletion is by posting on the image talk page.