Talk:List of undrafted NHL players with 100 games played
|WikiProject Ice Hockey||(Rated List-class)|
lots of undrafted players
How far are you planning on going with this article? what are the guildlines? What i mean is that there are literally thousands of players who have played in the NHL who have not been drafted. Every player before 1963 was not drafted and thousands after 1963 weren't drafted. Also, are you planning on completing this list or leaving it as a stub? Masterhatch 15:28, 23 May 2006 (UTC)
- I didn't know where to find a complete list of undrafted players but I do want to include this information (somehow) in Wikipedia. Yes, it could be a very lenghy list, but, not as big as the complete list of all NHL players. NorthernThunder 04:00, 24 May 2006 (UTC)
- For the most part, this list is going to be very reduntant unless some strict criteria is set and met with some reliable sources. For example, exclude all players who started playing before 1963. Otherwise, I don't see the usefulness of this article. Masterhatch 23:13, 24 May 2006 (UTC)
- When i made the List of NHL one gamers, I set strict criterea. For example, all players who only played one game after the 1999-00 NHL season were not to be included (because that, at the time, was only five years and there was still a chance of a player playing a second game). Masterhatch 23:15, 24 May 2006 (UTC)
Gretzky on the list?
Should Wayne Gretzky be on this list, given how he ended up with the Edmonton Oilers in the NHL? Keep in mind that when the Oilers entered the NHL for the 1979-1980 season, the four WHA teams entering the NHL (Quebec, New England, Winnipeg, and Edmonton), they could protect 2 skaters and 2 goalies from being picked by other NHL teams, and Gretzky was protected by the Oilers, who already had him under contract from a free-agent WHA contract (signed with the Racers). --AEMoreira042281 (talk) 19:46, 2 May 2010 (UTC)
- He was never available to be selected by any NHL team so he probably shouldn't be considered undrafted. --126.96.36.199 (talk) 16:31, 5 December 2010 (UTC)
Unger, Marcotte. Fairbairn
All three of the above were NHL-sponsored juniors before the sponsorship program ended. They should not be on the list because they were never eligible for the draft.Fanofpucks (talk) 20:11, 16 October 2010 (UTC)
There doesn't seem to be a source that provides a complete or at least lengthy list of undrafted players. The only lists of undrafted players I could locate are of the top 10 variety and are not very useful. With that being the case, shouldn't this article be deleted? --Izzygood (talk) 04:15, 15 March 2011 (UTC)
Limited to notable players
- The minimum amount of games played I used was 500 for skaters and 250 for goalies. Any player who didn't meet that number had to have something in the Awards and honours column (I listed Antti Niemi since he is likely to reach 250 games played in the next month or two).
- I used the Category: Undrafted National Hockey League players as a base to go through when working on the table. It doesn't list every undrafted NHL player and a few notable players weren't on the list (Charlie Huddy and Brian Skrudland). There are probably others.
- The article's title will need to be changed. I don't care for "not drafted" over "undrafted" since Gretzky falls under the "not drafted" label - it is factually correct to say Wayne Gretzky was not drafted (as is true of Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Bobby Orr, etc.), but it does not say whether he was eligible to be drafted. I think "undrafted" as it is commonly used implies the player was eligible for the draft and every team passed on selecting him. --Parkfly3 (talk) 04:02, 5 December 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on List of undrafted NHL players with 100 games played. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20160303172237/http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/stlouma01.html to http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/stlouma01.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.
How to find new players to add after each season
Go to hockey-reference's Debuts pages (http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2017_debut.html), sort it by games played and check anyone with 100 to 181 games played who has the most recent year played in the To column. Skip over anyone you know was drafted. Players who were not drafted will not have draft information listed in their profiles (compare drafted Claude Giroux to undrafted Tim Kerr). Go back through the last 10 or so years of those Debuts pages. It doesn't take as long as it sounds. --Parkfly20 (talk) 07:12, 21 June 2017 (UTC)