Talk:List of airports
|This page was nominated for deletion on 2005-06-03. The result of the discussion was keep (nomination withdrawn).|
|WikiProject Aviation / Airports||(Rated List-class)|
I think this list would be better displayed by country. Mintguy
- I agree. There's already List of French airports. I wonder if it would be worth adding the huge list of US airports available here: http://www.airnav.com/airports/us. --Minesweeper 22:55 Feb 23, 2003 (UTC)
- I too agree. List of airports should be an index page. matt 02:38 Feb 24, 2003 (UTC)
I'm inclined to break this article up like Wikipedia:Multiple-place names, and also put any links like the French list above on the main index page. I'll leave this comment here for a few days to allow objections, then rip into it. - Gaz 12:49 Apr 3, 2003 (UTC)
I'm going to try to list as many airports as I can in this article. It will be long, and ardous, but eventually, this will have MANY more airports than it did before I saw this article. - GUEST --- How about we break up the article into these sections:
- Commercial Airports in the US & Canada
- Commercial Airports in the rest of the world
- Non-Commercial Airports in the US & Canada
- Non-Commercial Airports in the rest of the world
- Military bases
- Rail Stations
The article has finally been cut into sections. WhisperToMe 01:23, 13 Sep 2003 (UTC)
IATA v ICAO
Why are we using IATA codes everywhere on the Wiki? Why not ICAO codes? ICAO codes are what pilots and air traffic control agencies use to file flight plans, because they are unique. I'm curious how this decision was made and if it's still open for discussion.
IATA codes are used more often by travellers and airline timetables. However, you can start a list of airlines by ICAO code, if you want to. WhisperToMe 00:29, 30 Aug 2004 (UTC)
- Perhaps it should be made clear that only airports with IATA codes are on this list. (I know it says it sorts airports by IATA code, but not that it is excluding airports without one) Dunro 17:54, 2005 Mar 22 (UTC)
- I try and list both. The infobox, which will eventually be rolled out, also lists spaces for both. Burgundavia 06:57, Mar 23, 2005 (UTC)
Delete this page?
I started a discussion on the List of airports in Canada page, but I think that it more properly belongs here. This page and the national pages it points to duplicate Category:Airports and its subcategories. There are tens of thousands of airports in the world, and I do not believe that it makes sense to try to maintain these lists by hand, even divided into national articles (there are over 1,000 registered airports in Canada alone, and probably ten times as many in the U.S.). The categories maintain themselves automatically, so they are always more complete and up to date.
Note that I am not proposing deleting specialty lists like List of airports in the New York City area, since those have groupings that are not found anywhere else. I am proposing deleting this page, and eventually, all of the national pages. I'm going to wait a while before doing a vfd, however, so that there's time for informal discussion. David 17:32, 2005 May 24 (UTC)
- OK, no discussion, so I've vfd'd it. David 18:19, 2005 Jun 3 (UTC)
- A little late, but I agree. Maintaining this by hand would definitely be a pain. And I can't see what anyone would ever want this information for that they couldn't get from the category page. Danorris 30 June 2005 14:52 (UTC)
LON, NYC, etc are listed as something like "NYC – All Airports – New York City, New York, United States" because the represent all the airports in an area. I think HOU should also be listed like this as it is a metro code for both HOU-Hobby and IAH-Bush Intercontinental.
The new listing would look like this:
- HOU (KHOU) – William P. Hobby Airport – Houston, Texas, United States
- HOU - All Airports – Houston, Texas, United States
Hello Everyone, Recently, I have posted my Airport Search Website in the External links of this page but my link has been removed. An editor (Ahunt) explain me why it was removed. The link I have posted violates the Wikipedia External link policy because it's a Link mainly intended to promote a website and because the website belongs to me, I'm in a conflict of interest in posting it.
I'm sorry about that everyone, I'm new to wikipedia and I didn't know about this policy.
I'm proud of my website and my goal was only to offer this services to the community. If you think that my website should be useful for people and is appropriate to be included in this page, I will really appreciate it. If not, it's ok I will understand. Or if you have any comments about my website, to improve it or whatever, simply give me a comment, I will be happy to receive your message. Thank you and sorry for my english (it's not my primary language). Lindbergh2002 (talk) 15:20, 22 January 2008 (UTC)
- It is a good database! I've added it to the list of information resources at Wikipedia:WikiProject Airports. Canglesea (talk) 04:29, 19 March 2008 (UTC)
Need help from someone who knows how to make both the navboxes be in the uncollapsed state. If anyone knows how to override the default parameters, please help!--Funandtrvl (talk) 21:53, 8 November 2008 (UTC)
I miss any reference to LYD, the old airport code of TLV. What about a section "historic airport codes" and or a date in the article on Ben Gurion Airport when the code was changed? 184.108.40.206 (talk) 12:32, 5 December 2014 (UTC)