Talk:List of river name etymologies
- That Don river is not the Don River you're thinking of, but the River Don, Aberdeenshire, in Scotland. In ancient times, it was known as Devona, a Celtic name. In any case, the Celtic languages are a branch of Indo-European, so that river name is also from an Indo-European root, but a different one.
- On the other hand, the name of the Don River in Russia is most probably derived from the same Iranian (Scythian or Sarmatian) word dānu- 'river' as the Danube, except that no one has chosen to add that etymology yet.
- If I were you, I wouldn't place too much trust in what this article says. It's kind of a free-for-all. No sources are cited, and several etymologies listed are dubious. It's simply not very scientific. In fact, just to be sure, I've added the standard warnings for this type of work. Pasquale 01:39, 9 November 2007 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on List of river name etymologies. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20100610064227/http://www.rivers.gov/wsr-snake.html to http://www.rivers.gov/wsr-snake.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080412051012/http://www.iguassu-misted-falls-vacation.com/places-to-visit-in-paraguay.html to http://www.iguassu-misted-falls-vacation.com/places-to-visit-in-paraguay.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.