Talk:List of universities in the United Kingdom

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Inclusion on this page[edit]

This page has, besides universities, a random selection of other institutions such as HE colleges and FE colleges. The list of universities also includes equally random selection of institutes inside universities. I suggest rationalising this as follows:

  • Universities
    • Colleges of the University of London
  • University Colleges
  • Other educational institutions with degree awarding powers, possibly with foundation degree only institutions as a separate section or subsection, as on the Recognised Bodies list.[1]

This gives an easily verifiable list with clear categories and criteria. Foreign universities in the UK and universities in British territories could also be retained, but should be placed below the UK institutions.

What are people's opinions? Robminchin (talk) 01:52, 7 September 2016 (UTC)

Agreed, there needs to be a better structure. Or even split the FE/HE colleges to a separate page. They are not typical "universities" Aloneinthewild (talk) 11:21, 24 September 2016 (UTC)
Seemed like a good idea, so I've gone ahead and done it. I've kept colleges with degree awarding powers, as under some definitions these could be considered universities, but colleges that simply offered HE courses didn't belong here so have been split into a separate page.Robminchin (talk) 17:15, 24 September 2016 (UTC)
Agree that those with university powers could be called "university (colleges". I'm swayed towards removing anything that is a redlink in that newly split list. What do you think? Aloneinthewild (talk) 19:58, 24 September 2016 (UTC)
That sounds reasonable. The list is incomplete (as a list of "listed bodies"), and expanding it to include all listed bodies would make it a long list full of redlinks, so pruning it to only those institutions that have been shown to be notable by having an article makes sense. Robminchin (talk) 21:14, 24 September 2016 (UTC)

External links modified[edit]

Hello fellow Wikipedians,

I have just modified one external link on List of universities in the United Kingdom. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:

When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.

You may set the |checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting |needhelp= to your help request.

  • If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
  • If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.

If you are unable to use these tools, you may set |needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.

Cheers.—InternetArchiveBot (Report bug) 23:45, 23 May 2017 (UTC)