|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
As most of her books are authored as 'Marjorie Bowen' wouldn't that be a better title for this article? Her birth name was Gabrielle Margaret V[ere] Campbell by the way. Which name she used to write the autobiography of Marjorie Bowen...Mrs Long was her married name...which didn't use for any of her books... Colin4C 20:43, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
- I don't know. Are there any similar examples we can look to for precedent? Dannyno 21:19, 2 December 2007 (UTC)
- Well there is Bob Dylan. His 'real' name is Robert Allen Zimmerman, but he is listed on the wikipedia as Bob Dylan. I'm sure there must be other examples as well. In the Penguin Encyclopedia of Horror and the Supernatural 'Marjorie Bowen' is the name given for our author. Colin4C 10:49, 3 December 2007 (UTC)
Discussion of birth year?
Just noting that the Library of Congress lists 1888 as Marjorie Bowen's birth year: http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?Search_Arg=Bowen%20Marjorie&SL=None&Search_Code=GKEY^*&CNT=25
I see that there is a discussion of this discrepancy in the linked biographical article.
"Still in her teens, while at Slade Art School in London, Margaret began her first novel, completed in Paris a year or two later. This tale of sinister swashbuckling adventure was the emotive historical fantasia The Viper of Milan. It was not quickly published, being rejected by eleven publishers because, as Margaret was informed, it was the sort of thing girls should never write. Some of these rejections included assurances that she showed promise, & advocated domestic love stories or children's books as more appropriate to her sex. When her Viper obtained publication in 1906, the publisher intended to pay her nothing while promoting the book (effectively it turned out) as a work of a singular precocity. This is perhaps why, even at so young an age as twenty or twenty-one, she embraced the often reprinted lie that she was born in 1888 rather than 1885, a small fudging of the truth since she was a teenager when the book was written, & her publisher would have her remain so a while longer."
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Marjorie Bowen. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20081204234335/http://www.violetbooks.com/bowen.html to http://www.violetbooks.com/bowen.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.