Talk:Fan (machine)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Talk:Mechanical fan)
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Technology  
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Technology, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of technology on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's quality scale.
WikiProject Home Living  
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Home Living, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of home related articles on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the importance scale.
WikiProject Architecture  
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Architecture, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Architecture on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's importance scale.

Questions on ventilation[edit]

This will be post #1. I'm not sure if this is a forum where I can ask questions, but I hope so. So here goes:

I'm a product designer currently working on a project that will blow bubbles through fluid. One possible air propulsion method would be to use a centrifugal fan. The dimensions and characteristics work nicely with the product. However, the air flow/motor direction would work best reversed. I wonder what effect on the efficiency/effectiveness of a centifugal fan would be. It would be drawing air in and pushing it out the center port. Also, if it matters, we could probably lose most of the outer housing as the input can be all the way around the circumference. Thanks for any help! -kevin Salukikev 00:34, 14 November 2007 (UTC)

No, it's not a forum where you can ask questions, unless they're directly related to the article. I'm sure you could find that kind of technical information elsewhere. Try Googling it. SteveRamone 00:39, 14 November 2007 (UTC)

There should be a lot more here[edit]

I'm surprised there is not much about the mechanical fan on Wikipedia.. My fatehr said that during WWII there was no commercially available fans, and that some men in the navy were selling fans to consumers as a side project. He says he believes that the Vornado fan might have come out of that project. But I was hoping to find information about that here. And it seems that this is one area where Wikipedia is failing miserably at covering. (talk) 16:29, 22 June 2010 (UTC)

Cross flow fan[edit]

I've tried googling "cross flow fan", to learn more about its principle of operation. It seems it's not entirely similar to the cetrfugal fan, but Google did not really turn up anything useful. Maybe someone knowledgeable could expand the section in this article? An illustration similar to the centrifugal fan would be great! Thanks! europrobe (talk) 08:40, 7 June 2008 (UTC)

There is an Unmanned Aerial Vehice called FanWing that uses a cross flow fan. There are videos of this aircraft on YouTube and the companies website which are helful in getting to grips with what a cross flow fan is. Also there is a journal/paper called 'An Experimental Study of Cross Flow Fan' by S Murata. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 13:23, 20 February 2009 (UTC)
The Cross Flow fan (blower) is pretty rare. The most common applications for these fans in consumer products was a popular style of hair dryer that I haven't seen in years, and sometimes in air cleaners and over the range microwave vent fans. In my experience, a centrifugal blower (with backward inclined blading) is called a centrifugal blower. A squirrel cage blower (forward inclined blading) is what is used in almost every HVAC unit. These two subsections of this article are inaccurate. MicahWes (talk) 03:30, 17 February 2013 (UTC)
Cross flow is mainly used where the airflow needs to span across a wide, flat area, such as a circuit board inside a printer or copier, or for cooling the wide hot fuser rollers in a printer. The squirrel cage speed spanning the width can be relatively slow and only has two bearing points and one motor, as opposed to an array of many small fans that each have their own bearings, motors, and wires. -- DMahalko (talk) 21:18, 21 February 2013 (UTC)

Solar powered fan section: delete?[edit]

Is the section on solar powered fans needed? It seems like a special use case that doesn't require a different type of fan (except for low-power DC, which is mentioned elsewhere). Dan Griscom (talk) 04:28, 8 July 2008 (UTC)

Turbine fan for organ[edit]

A type of fan that is related to the cross flow principle that I have not seen here is the turbine type fan utilized in blowing wind into the air supply of pipe organs. The most common of these is the Spencer "Orgablow"T.M. kinectic blower. It utilizes jet turbines powered by a centrifigal/direct-drive split phaze motor having from five to fifty horsepower (or more) depending on the size of the pipe organ and number of pmeumatic components it contains as well as providing wind to blow through the pipes and rezonators. Ancient instruments were hand or foot 'Pumped' by paid 'bellows blowers' who had to manually supply the pipe organs wind. After the invention of electricity, the blower, both squirel cage type, and kinectic were used as the wind supply and are to this day. The kinectic blower can also have another identical blower attached directly to its feed out to increase the maximum available wind pressure for the organ. A large reservoire bellows, weighted with lead or brick weights regulates the wind pressure in the organ. If the organist suddenly brings on the full organ in a loud passage, the drop in wind pressure causes the reservoire bellows to expand instantly allowing the full kinectic and instantanious wind pressure to the pipes, causing them all to speak accordingly, and when the note is released, the bellows falls under the weight of the counter weights. The kinectic blower's invention has made possible the huge organs notably in the United States from the twentieth century to the present. The largest organ in the world is said to be the Midmer-Losh pipe organ in the Atlantic City Auditorium in New Jersey. This organ has over forty-thousand speaking pipes, the larges being sixty-four feet, and the smallest, smaller than a long cigarette. The keyboard console has seven manuals (keyboards) that control the instrument. Several kinectic blowers are necessary to blow this organ! Thus, the cross blown principle is made use here in the kinectic blower, causing, as has been illustrated above, a displacement of the actual size of the impeller or turbine, and that of the occupied space of a utilized burst of wind, whether steady or transient, displacing the entire space of the pipes, the air ducts, and the pmneumatic motors. (talk) 22:36, 26 January 2009 (UTC)

Bladeless fan?[edit]

The bladeless fan section should be removed, or edited to reflect that the so-called bladeless fan isn't really a different type of fan, but an application of a fan in which air from the fan in the unit's base is blown over the airfoil in the top of the unit to induce airflow through the duct. The arrangement is similar to a blown flap on an aircraft. Tesla4D (talk) 23:22, 5 October 2010 (UTC)

To add to this; a bladeless fan is still a fan, but the outdated definition in the article would suggest that a bladeless fan is not a fan. I think we should just define a fan as "a machine which blows gas" or something along those lines. Owen214 (talk) 13:35, 14 November 2010 (UTC)

Bladeless Fan 2[edit]

I agree that the blade-less fan section should be removed, as the manner in which air flow/pressure is produced appears to be conventional and fall under an existing category. The use to which that airflow is put would seem to be out of scope, except perhaps within a 'Fan-Applications' section. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Bathat (talkcontribs) 01:53, 8 December 2010 (UTC)

Bladeless Fan 3[edit]

Agreed. Indeed the new Dyson's desk fan is an ordinary radial-type fan (as seen on professional hair dryer) with a new kind of dissipator / difuser. Maybe really would be good a seccion about air blow applications. Lgugue (talk) 16:29, 14 December 2010 (UTC)

I have tried to edit the section to be more general and less like an infomercial. The term "bladeless" is marketroid language because what is an impeller? Oh, it's a type of bladed fan, but hidden inside the base. DMahalko (talk) 00:31, 16 April 2011 (UTC)

Thank you for clearing this up. I was under the impression, Dyson's bladeless fan was some kind of modified ion thruster. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 02:42, 1 April 2012 (UTC)

Another fan design ?[edit]

I made an image of another fan, but I'm not sure whether it allready exist allready. Image is

—Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 09:40, 20 April 2011 (UTC)

It's a creation of KVDP (talk · contribs) and (of course) it won't work. It's a redrawn derivative of two other images: one is itself incorrect. The other is of a water pump and won't work for Reynolds number of air at atmospheric pressure. Andy Dingley (talk) 13:01, 5 May 2011 (UTC)

in need of advice and help![edit]

Under what conditions and the following statement be removed from centrifugal compressor? "Cleanup|date=June 2008" centrifugal compressor is currently in a semi-complete state. It has not been proofread and has not been verified to standard that I would like to apply. I would like to ask for everyone's help to please review the article and make comments on the discussion page. I really will attempt to incorporate all of your improvements in a rigorous and consistent fashion. it is important that you are happy the way your issues are addressed. It is currently missing a section on "design methodology" that I would like to research and discuss before I complete. There are significantly different points of view that I would like to try to unify. the section on design methodology is not original work and will be properly referenced. All turbomachinery is unified by fundamental physics in the applied mathematics use in their design and analysis. That is why the term turbomachinery can be used as an umbrella topic. Dozens of academic textbooks attest to the above statement. Other than one other turbomachinery entry I have not been happy with the technical and scientific accuracy of any other encyclopedic entries. Most of these entries have been negatively impact by end-user and application colloquialisms. I will slowly, starting with centrifugal pumps and centrifugal fans try to correct various errors in statements. Unless I am asked I will not make any significant changes to the outlines of these encyclopedic articles. thank you for everyone's help martin koronowski, Mkoronowski (talk) 22:24, 30 April 2011 (UTC)

Unusual fan in article, can you identify it?[edit]

Luefter pd1270153b-2f.jpg

This is an unusual fan type I have heard about, but I do not recall the brand name of it.

Basically there is no drive motor in the center, and it is instead driven by a cylinder of magnets around the outside edge of the blades. Fixed electromagnets in the corners of the housing drive the hub to spin.

It is sufficiently odd as to be classified by itself but I just don't remember what this type of fan is called. I believe the goal is to be more efficient by moving the fan motor out of the center hub and providing more blade surface for air to flow.

The provided Commons image does not identify the fan model, and the side label is unreadable even at high magnification.

DMahalko (talk) 03:03, 19 July 2011 (UTC)

Sorry for late response, just seen this today. Manufacturer was Yen Sun Technology Corporation, Model number (pd1270153b-2f) is provided in the file name :-). This fan construction was intended to deliver better air flow in the center, where conventional fans have low flow (dead spot), especially for use on heat sinks. I found a photo of the inner construction here. -- Smial (talk) 14:15, 25 December 2011 (UTC)

axial fan... how it works?[edit]

In theory.

Axial flow fans work by "cutting" into the stationary air mass in front of the blade tips. Once air enters the blades, it begins to rotate with the blades, and continues to rotate even after it has been expelled. There is a point where very deep blades don't pump any more air because once the air enters and reaches the same rotational speed as the blades, the blades have no additional flow-enhancing effect. Also, the air on the intake side begins to spin due to air drag from the rotating intake blades, further reducing the fan efficiency.
Turbines, a more complex type of axial fan, counteract this rotational stalling effect by having alternate layers of stationary and rotating blades. The rotating blades cut into the stationary air mass held between the stationary blades, and the stationary blades cut into the rotating air mass held between rotating blades. In this manner the stationary blade stack enhances and multiplies the velocity of air passing through the rotating blade stack.

Though, need to find references to verify this. DMahalko (talk) 00:08, 29 February 2012 (UTC)

Reverse effect[edit]

Where can I find an explanation about why when you start a fan it seems to momentarily switch or reverse its spinning direction? — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 10:01, 11 July 2012 (UTC)

Possibly a stroboscopic effect from artificial lighting. Reify-tech (talk) 19:44, 4 February 2016 (UTC)

Pankha, not pankah[edit]

Pankha is an Indian word, originating from the wings of a Bird (Pankh) which generates a draft when flapped, and not derived from the Mesopotamean civilisation, which uses words with 'Kah'. Hence, the word has been replaced by 'Pankha'. Bkpsusmitaa (talk) 12:34, 13 April 2013 (UTC)

External links modified[edit]

Hello fellow Wikipedians,

I have just added archive links to one external link on Mechanical fan. Please take a moment to review my edit. If necessary, add {{cbignore}} after the link to keep me from modifying it. Alternatively, you can add {{nobots|deny=InternetArchiveBot}} to keep me off the page altogether. I made the following changes:

When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true to let others know.

You may set the |checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting |needhelp= to your help request.

  • If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
  • If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.

If you are unable to use these tools, you may set |needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.

Cheers.—cyberbot IITalk to my owner:Online 15:28, 21 January 2016 (UTC)

Requested move 31 January 2016[edit]

The following is a closed discussion of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. Editors desiring to contest the closing decision should consider a move review. No further edits should be made to this section.

The result of the move request was: not moved (non-admin closure). sst(conjugate) 06:56, 8 February 2016 (UTC)

Mechanical fanFan – The term "mechanical fan" is never used, and the dictionary source just lists "fan." This may be the most common use of fan. A quick Google Image search for "fan" proves it. Ticklewickleukulele (talk) 07:45, 31 January 2016 (UTC)

  • Oppose Fan is a dab page, if anything the move would have to be to Fan (electric). (Fan (wooden) should be a redirect to Hand fan). The fact that vanilla Google image search throws up lots of shopping websites is neither here nor there is it? In ictu oculi (talk) 09:46, 31 January 2016 (UTC)
  • Opoose. When I do a Google search of "fan", the Wikipedia article Fan (person) is listed first, and then a mixture of sites pertaining to both subjects, not overwhelming results towards the mechanical fan -- thus not enough evidence IMO to have a primary topic. And as In ictu oculi alluded to, results are inflated/spammed by lots of commercial shopping sites, most likely as a result of search engine marketing and search engine optimization. Zzyzx11 (talk) 22:14, 31 January 2016 (UTC)
  • Comment Ticklewickleukulele moved the page to Fan (machine) in the midst of this discussion, which isn't cool. While I appreciate being WP:BOLD, there is no need to stray the discussion, so I reverted it back without prejudice. It might well be the optimal title.
    That being said, I offer cautious support for the original proposal (that Fan is the primary topic), and I also prefer Fan (machine) to the current title. Pinging User:In ictu oculi and User:Zzyzx11, if they wish to reconsider. No such user (talk) 15:47, 1 February 2016 (UTC)
  • Oppose.
    Less important?
    I don't agree that a Google Image search is a good way to demonstrate what is and is not a primary topic. Even setting aside the definition of "fan" meaning a person, I wouldn't say that this type of fan is necessarily primary for "fan as cooling device". Egsan Bacon (talk) 21:31, 1 February 2016 (UTC)
  • Oppose clearly not, since fans are people who like things, like soccer fans, Miley Cyrus fans, etc -- (talk) 06:13, 4 February 2016 (UTC)
    • Comment I also oppose the implicit proposal of the nominator to make a giant hatnote out of the dab page at fan onto this article. (implicit proposal sinec the dab page at the destination is not mentioned, therefore is an implicit deletion, thus making a giant hatnote necessary) -- (talk) 06:15, 4 February 2016 (UTC)
    • Comment this article only covers rotating mechanical fans, not fans that are fanned such as fan-folding handheld ones ; or giant feather palm frond things you see in movies about Cleopatra -- (talk) 06:21, 4 February 2016 (UTC)
  • Oppose Fan should remain a dab page, since there are too many alternative uses of the word. However, as suggested here, I would support something like Fan (machine). Reify-tech (talk) 19:41, 4 February 2016 (UTC)

The above discussion is preserved as an archive of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page or in a move review. No further edits should be made to this section.

Is a "Fan" really ever used to move anything other than air?[edit]

The article begins by stating that a Fan is "typically" used to create a flow within a gas, such as air, implying that fans can be employed to create a flow within a liquid, and gases other than air.

I cannot think of any examples of a "Fan" that move anything other than air. Are there any? In particular, nobody would ever refer to a device for creating a flow in a liquid as a "Fan" - that device would be a "Pump". (talk) 23:14, 25 October 2017 (UTC)

They move solids, as dusts and powders, quite a bit too. I have several in my workshop, for the lasers and the woodworking machines moving stuff from laser cutting smoke (glue and dust in a mist) to large chips from the thicknesser. I'd agree about liquids though. Andy Dingley (talk) 23:28, 25 October 2017 (UTC)

Dead link to[edit]

There is a dead link at the following:

NotYourFathersOldsmobile (talk) 02:21, 8 December 2017 (UTC)