Talk:Mer (software distribution)
|WikiProject Software / Computing||(Rated Start-class)|
|WikiProject Linux||(Rated Start-class)|
Is met an operating system?
- “An operating system (OS) is a collection of software that manages computer hardware resources”.
- Mer does not package a kernel. Without a kernel, it can't ‘manage computer hardware resources’, therefore I’d say no, it’s not an OS. However Richard Stallman claims that GNU is also an OS but GNU has no kernel either and utilizes either Hurd or Linux. Currently I'm too lazy to look up credible references to get clarification. However until then I think the blunt statement in the Sailfish OS article may be original research and I'd change the wording to match the introduction in this article. --KAMiKAZOW (talk) 23:11, 20 May 2013 (UTC)
- Sailfish OS article from the beginning say about "MER core distribution" and from time to time it is corrected to Mer (operating system) [what is WRONG!] as such is the name of mer article in the wikipedia. Mer (software distribution) also can be misleading because this is set of tools which are in MER or developed with MER, however rest reflects proper sense IMHO. After some months of fighting with MER OS vs MER core distro I am coming to conclusion that Mer (core distribution) article is needed perhaps. What is more: I suppose that as MER is very alive project it will be changing. Sailfish OS article must use background of MER as MER core is backbone of Sailfish, hence I tried to explain it as clear as possible. MER (software distribution) is a valid term but I think it reflects something different then MER (core distribution) used in Sailfish OS, software distribution have more components then core distribution. We will have to deal with this somehow in good faih ;) 19:16, 28 July 2013 (UTC) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Ocexyz (talk • contribs)
Dear User:Semsi Paco Virchow. The argument for Infobox OS is not that you are just 2 months active, the argument is that aside from the kernel issue, Mer has all characteristics of a regular Linux distribution with its own package manager, etc. and Infobox OS has fields for package manager and so on and Infobox Software does not. You OTOH made absolutely no argument why my editorial judgment about this issue is wrong. Instead you are shouting for an admin, as if that would make any impression on someone who's active on WP for over 10 years now. I added the part of your time short time here, hoping that would make it clear to you that as an inexperienced WP editor, you may want to consider not forcing your opinion on everybody. Instead you wrongfully accused me that I claimed that Mer was in fact an OS, even though my earlier comment on this Talk Page should make my stance clear. If you want to call an admin, do it via the proper channels and not by shouting for one in the summary line. --KAMiKAZOW (talk) 16:09, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
Wikipedia needs to be coherent. Android (operating system) already had a similar discussion at Talk:Android (operating system)/Archive 4#Proposed Move - Feedback Needed. If you do not consider Mer an operating system, please, also rename Android (operating system) to be coherent. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 07:26, 24 September 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Mer (software distribution). Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/meego-dev/2011-October/484215.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.