Talk:Mont Blanc massif
Mont Blanc massif
- ... that to hike round the Mont Blanc massif in the Alps is a 170km (110 mile), eleven day trip, but top athletes run round the Tour du Mont Blanc circuit in just 20 hours?
- ALT1:...that the world's most expensive cable car cost 110 million euros and takes tourists up to the Mont Blanc massif from Italy?
- ALT2:...that the Mont Blanc massif in the European Alps is home to the world's most expensive cable car, costing over 110 million euros?
- Reviewed: : Template:Did you know nominations/Foxymorons
- Comment: Worked on expansion within userspace User:Parkywiki/sandbox/MBM (Prose element increased from 2,000 to 21,000)
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Article in need of enhancement
Rather than being just a list of peaks, passes and glaciers, this page is in desperate need of being enhanced into a proper introductory article on the whole massif. I think it should serve as an introductory overview to the entire area, and include a geographic description which much better defines it, and includes brief mention of aspects like geography/geology, tourism, conservation which are currently either overlooked or lost within articles on individual mountains, or fall outside the remit of the various Wikipedia Projects which look rather narrowly at themes such as rivers, glaciers, mountains, etc.
I have already deleted a quite a few secondary sources and 'facts' from the Mont Blanc page which relate to other peaks - especially those referring to mountain accidents and achievements which clearly took place elsewhere within the massif. Any good editor should have spotted these, although the media don't help when they so loosely refer to Mont Blanc in nearly every story about any of these mountains.
I will work through the list of lower peaks in this article, a few of which should not have been included as they are well outside the MB massif. (Aiguilles Rouges for example). I have started drafting some text enhancements and other content, which I will start insert in the weeks ahead.
I am also a little uncomfortable about references to the Graian Alps which I do not see as having ever been clearly or properly defined and referenced, either within Wikipedia and elsewhere. Many sources suggest this range ends well south of the Mont Blanc massif, and I would suggest that the over-emphasis on this alpine name adds confusion, rather than aiding clarity - consider the contradictory statements currently in the first two paragraphs. I appreciate there has been a discussion on the extent of the Graian Alps elsewhere, but because so few few reliable texts on these mountains use the term (unless perhaps they've gleaned it from Wikipedia in the first place), I suggest reducing emphasis on it somewhat.
Either way, only once we have this article structured properly can attention then be paid to the Mont Blanc page itself, which is really quite poor considering its significance, and deserves to be brought up to GA or Featured article status (with everyone's help, I hope!). Parkywiki (talk) 23:48, 12 January 2016 (UTC)