Talk:Music of New Zealand
|WikiProject New Zealand / Music||(Rated Start-class, High-importance)|
This page may be too long to read and navigate comfortably. (June 2009)
This article may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may only interest a specific audience. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|This article is part of the "World music" set of articles nominated for Version 0.7. Discuss this nomination, or see the set nominations page for more details.|
|WikiProject Regional and national music||(Rated Start-class, High-importance)|
|Music of New Zealand was a good article, but it was removed from the list as it no longer met the good article criteria at the time. There are suggestions below for improving the article. If you can improve it, please do; it may then be renominated.
Review: March 25, 2007.
- 1 Citations
- 2 Pioneer NZ photo
- 3 New pages
- 4 Good article review
- 5 GA Re-Review and In-line citations
- 6 Image copyright problem with Image:ChrisKnox-NotGivenLightly-shot.jpg
- 7 Article Requests
Pioneer NZ photo
Done. Images below: Lupo 18:53, 25 Jan 2004 (UTC)
My resized version apparently got lost... use the new image markup to size it appropriately! Lupo 15:17, 19 Feb 2004 (UTC)
In the absence of any documentation or provenance, I would seriously question whether the photograph above can be described as a photo "of performers". only 3 of the 16 men have musical instruments, some are indicating their trades (barber, baker?). There must be better historical photos of actual musical troupes. dramatic 2 July 2005 21:18 (UTC)
- Seems genuine, there's a stuffed kiwi in the foreground and a guy reading the "Truth" newspaper. Probably more appropriate for the History of New Zealand or Culture of New Zealand. Could it be a sly grog bar in the bush? ~~ Ropata (talk) 23:50, 30 June 2009 (UTC)
I was thinking that maybe we'd be better off seperating a lot of the info in this page. For example, starting a "Popular Music in New Zealand" page which would leave this page with all the more traditional stuff. Or even starting "New Zealand Hip Hop" and "New Zealand Rock" pages. There's a lot of history already and it'll make things easier for the future.Kansaikiwi 02:09, 6 May 2006 (UTC)
- I believe we already have New Zealand hip hop and Kiwi rock. There should be New Zealand popular music, New Zealand classical music and New Zealand folk music articles as well. This article needs to encompass an introduction to all of New Zealand music, however, in Wikipedia:Summary style. Tuf-Kat 05:05, 6 May 2006 (UTC)
- Until those subtopics have decent articles of their own, there is no reason to slim down this page. Also, it's often better to create one good encyclopedic article than have lots of little pages. That way people can find good info without having to click through links. Papeschr 04:08, 26 September 2006 (UTC)
Good article review
GA Re-Review and In-line citations
Members of the Wikipedia:WikiProject Good articles are in the process of doing a re-review of current Good Article listings to ensure compliance with the standards of the Good Article Criteria. (Discussion of the changes and re-review can be found here). A significant change to the GA criteria is the mandatory use of some sort of in-line citation (In accordance to WP:CITE) to be used in order for an article to pass the verification and reference criteria. Currently this article does not include in-line citations. It is recommended that the article's editors take a look at the inclusion of in-line citations as well as how the article stacks up against the rest of the Good Article criteria. GA reviewers will give you at least a week's time from the date of this notice to work on the in-line citations before doing a full re-review and deciding if the article still merits being considered a Good Article or would need to be de-listed. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us on the Good Article project talk page or you may contact me personally. On behalf of the Good Articles Project, I want to thank you for all the time and effort that you have put into working on this article and improving the overall quality of the Wikipedia project. Agne 03:38, 26 September 2006 (UTC)
- I agree this article needs some serious TLC; here are my critiques
- Too many links -- the article might as well be a List of NZ Musicians
- Seriously needs a copyedit and re-org of the sub headings
- Too many editors with agendas for their beloved group/artist/style to get noticed
- The earlier point about Wikipedia:Summary Style is now quite relevant, the article probably does need slimming down.
- ~~ Papeschr 07:54, 12 July 2007 (UTC)
Image copyright problem with Image:ChrisKnox-NotGivenLightly-shot.jpg
The image Image:ChrisKnox-NotGivenLightly-shot.jpg is used in this article under a claim of fair use, but it does not have an adequate explanation for why it meets the requirements for such images when used here. In particular, for each page the image is used on, it must have an explanation linking to that page which explains why it needs to be used on that page. Please check
- That there is a non-free use rationale on the image's description page for the use in this article.
- That this article is linked to from the image description page.
The following images also have this problem:
NOTE: Readers are welcome to edit this article themselves! WP:SOFIXIT
See we've had a mention of them for a while. Anyone up to creating an entry? Also Pluto was mentioned and they dropped off. Don't they deserve a wikipedia article too? 184.108.40.206 01:09, 15 December 2006 (UTC)
Can someone with more knowledge than me please mention Kog Transmissions somewhere? I'm guessing it deserves it's own page too. Kansaikiwi 11:30, 4 April 2006 (UTC)
The fact that there's even a Classical Music section with no mention of her is quite mystifying.
- Not really. Since her farewell concert about 1970, she's only performed here a few times. She's made one CD of Maori music - in London. Her impact on New Zealand music is virtually zero. --Hugh7 23:16, 27 January 2007 (UTC)
- Not true - her final opera concert was 2004 and she is still doing other public singing. She had considerable impact on NZ music as an inspiration to others and she also gained international exposure for traditional and contemporary Maori songs via recordings of songs like ‘Pokarekare Ana’. See http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/node/4547 .Jamie Mackay 23:55, 4 May 2007 (UTC)
This section is really inadequate. There are subdivisions of traditional music. The view of explorers that the Maori did not sing is simply mistaken. I doubt the connection with imeni tuki. A kapa haka is a performing group, not a kind of peromance. In view of the work of Hirini Melbouren and Richrd Nunns, there needs to be a whole section on Maori instrumental music. --Hugh7 23:21, 27 January 2007 (UTC)
Fly my Pretties
Can they be added somewhere? Kansaikiwi 15:10, 9 June 2007 (UTC)
Metal added as this music has recently been emerging in large numbers of bands, and should be recognised. See: 8 Foot Sativa, Sinate, Dawn of Azazel, Cripple Mr Onion etc. Wikiphreak 21:32, 24 October 2007 (UTC)
recent edits to alternative
who wrote that rubbish. someone seems to have re written this section to re write history to their own perspective. failsafe records was around in the 80's their first release was in 1984, It has been re written to say many indie label "were a response to flying nuns commercialism in the 90's",
????? who says this is true at all. where are you getting your information from????
revival of emo?? its the first time round for most of that stuff.
wbc and managers as punk bands????. they're ska, thankfully someone else fixed that mistake.
This page has been ruined in an effort to write your personal favorite bands into history and move the focus from the actual version. good night nurse are not alternative or indie, they're mainstream punk lite. Kitsch, Cobra Khan, City Newton Bombers representative of the nz punk scene??? come on!!!
The article states that How Bizarre became three1/2 times platinum and has not been matched. I'm pretty sure Ben Lummis' 'They can't take that away' was four times platinum. Denoting sales of 40000. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 09:36, 13 January 2009 (UTC)
There is a list of popular songs in the infobox that we identify with as New Zealanders, but they aren't necessarily patriotic or nationalistic. What makes a song patriotic or nationalistic? Atiru (talk) 13:34, 25 May 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 5 external links on Music of New Zealand. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110309210911/http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/Education/OnlineResources/Matariki/Matarikimusic/Pages/overview.aspx to http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/Education/OnlineResources/Matariki/MatarikiMusic/Pages/overview.aspx
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20111221160800/http://www.rianz.org.nz/rianz/rianz_about.asp to http://www.rianz.org.nz/rianz/rianz_about.asp
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120303182430/http://rianz.org.nz/awards2008/history.asp to http://rianz.org.nz/awards2008/history.asp
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070929111251/http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1.asp?storyID=81528 to http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1.asp?storyID=81528
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-news/entertainment/2436113/Give-it-up-for-Savage
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.