|↓||Skip to table of contents||↓|
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Nelly Furtado article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|Archives: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|This talk page is automatically archived by MiszaBot I. Any threads with no replies in 1 month may be automatically moved. Sections without timestamps are not archived.|
|Nelly Furtado was one of the Music good articles, but it has been removed from the list. There are suggestions below for improving the article to meet the good article criteria. Once these issues have been addressed, the article can be renominated. Editors may also seek a reassessment of the decision if they believe there was a mistake.|
|Current status: Delisted good article|
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to . If you are connected to one of the subjects of this article and need help, please see this page.|
|This article is of interest to multiple WikiProjects. Click [show] for further details.|
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Nelly Furtado. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.allaccess.com/top40-rhythmic/future-releases
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.
Behind Your Back
Should there be a mention of her non-album single 'Behind Your Back' in her career biography. Furtado has described the track as an "appetizer" for her upcoming album? — Preceding unsigned comment added by SpaceBoots12 (talk • contribs) 09:24, 18 July 2016 (UTC)
Infobox genres -- picking two to four of them
At Template:Infobox_musical_artist#genre the instructions tell us to list two to four genres in the infobox, and to aim for generality. Let's stop trying to put seven genres into the infobox!
Genres for song articles are sourced from reviewers who describe the song. Genres for albums are sourced from reviewers who describe the whole album, the overall genre of the album. Album genres are not supposed to be collection of genres taken from the songs found on the album.
Similarly, genres for musical artists are sourced from reviewers talking about the artist herself, not from songs or album genres. For instance, the album Classical Barbra is in the genre of classical music, but Barbra Streisand is not listed as having a classical music genre herself. So to get the infobox genres for Furtado, we should find reviewers talking about Furtado being a pop artist or whatever they say. Not reviewers talking about an album or a song.
Furtado has put out music with lots of genres. As an artist, she has been described as shifting from her early genres to become an R&B songstress later in her career, in the manner of Janet Jackson etc. Let's gather some sources to see what they say. Binksternet (talk) 23:13, 26 July 2016 (UTC)
- Pinging Formation1234. You need to discuss this stuff or you'll be blocked. Binksternet (talk) 16:40, 27 July 2016 (UTC)
Not shure whats the point of arguing with a 55 year old man who clearly knows nothing about Nelly Furtado or her music, or is educated in her biography. Maybe you should get educated on her before starting revert wars on an opinion you know nothing about. The fact that you said "nobody calls her a Latin singer, or a Worldbeat singer." just shows you have no idea what your talking about.
Why reverting and removing genres while keeping some in her main page? Seems to me its more about your PERSONAL opinion, than whats the generally correct.
Your argument on how an album needs have ONE genre only makes no sense at all. Albums that have different sounds are also displayed with genres the sources say. It doesnt matter if it has one genre of five.
- Wikipedia gets genres from sources. An editor who is deaf can read the sources and tell the reader a summary of what the sources say. It doesn't matter that I'm 55, and also doesn't matter that I bought my daughter a copy of the first Nelly Furtado album because I was amazed at the sound of her first single. We don't need to listen to the music to write down the genres for the reader.
- You misunderstand my point about overall album genre. An album can have several overall genres – it depends on what the sources say. But the sources should be talking about the album, not about a particular song.
- If the source says the artist was influenced by certain genres it is not the same as saying the artist produces music in those genres. Simple English. Binksternet (talk) 19:07, 27 July 2016 (UTC)