Talk:Net asset value
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Less vs Minus
Does less mean the same as minus here?
Liberty Media example needs to be dated
It's fine to use an individual company as an example, but a date should be provided to indicate that this statement was true at a certain point in time. It's not always going to be true. I added a cn.
Total Market Value being Confused with NAV?
I think of NAV as (Assets-Liabilities)/Shares. Why does the wiki definition not mention aportioning?
- I would call that "NAV per share". I have never heard the term "Total Market Value", but it sounds like a different concept in any case, as it looks more like market capitalisation. Funds which trade on markets generally have a market capitalisation different from (usually lower than) their NAV. Westmorlandia (talk) 10:23, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
The article needs a clear and precise definition of Net Asset Value
I looked up the term because I wanted a precise crisp definition of it. I found none. I am not going to edit the article since I am not a specialist in the field but something like this is needed (though this definition is NAV / share) "Net Asset Value per share is defined as the reserve value, discounting cash flows at 10%, less net debt plus the cash proceeds from the exercise of options, incentive shares and deferred shares divided by the fully diluted shares outstanding."
(This is from a blog called "Canadian Value Investing" The reason I looked up the term was to see if this was the accepted meaning of NAV or just his own variation. I was disappointed by the article which was very imprecise just discussing the use of NAV without giving its definition) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Dansynek (talk • contribs) 05:12, 11 April 2011 (UTC)
- For anyone wondering about this, NAV has a completely different meaning for oil & gas companies, which is what the above comment references. That's not what this article is about. NAV in the oil & gas exploration and production (E&P) sector is not an accounting measure, but rather a subjective discounted cash flow (DCF)-based valuation of the income expected from its proved reserves and unproven resource in place. Because 10% is the consensus discount rate, it's often referred to as "PV-10"... at the risk of further confusing the issue, there is a related accounting measure also commonly called "PV-10" (or "SEC PV-10") which is defined as the standardized measure of cash flows, discounted at 10%, expected to come from a company's proven reserves. No value is given for unproven reserves. NAVs may be shown on a pre-or post-tax basis, SEC PV-10 must be shown post-tax (most companies will also provided a pre-tax figure alongside it). Unlike NAV, this is fully recognized by the SEC and included in the annual (but not quarterly) financial statements of every company with significant E&P assets; neither measure is covered by US GAAP.
- The Canadian investing website likely focuses on E&P NAV because the sector is the most important industry in Canada. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 18:59, 8 May 2014
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Net asset value. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120320162239/http://www.propertymall.com/press/article/24597 to http://www.propertymall.com/press/article/24597
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.