Talk:North Hollywood, Los Angeles
|WikiProject California / Los Angeles / Southern California||(Rated C-class)|
- 1 Valley Village as part of North Hollywood
- 2 Polarizing Comments
- 3 Don't combine
- 4 I agree.
- 5 No combo
- 6 No merge
- 7 Different Entities, Different Articles
- 8 borders?
- 9 Fixed vandalism
- 10 Subway Stations seem wrong
- 11 "Attractions"
- 12 Move discussion in progress
- 13 Map Location
- 14 Assessment comment
Valley Village as part of North Hollywood
Valley Village is a small section that seceded from North Hollywood in the 1990s. Technically speaking, Valley Village is part of North Hollywood (as are all places with ZIP code 916*), but they have a separate community identity. Valley Village was the southwest corner of North Hollywood, north of Studio City, northeast of Studio City, and southeast and east of Valley Glen. D. Lieberman, Valley Glen, CA
I'm appalled at some of the comments that was in this article, referring to North Hollywood as a "lower class" neighborhood. I also didn't see the need to try and associate the arts district with Valley village, mentioning that it was located near it. Valley village is no longer apart of North Hollywood and hasn't been for years. They decided to decisively break away to "rid themselves" from the rest of the community. NoHo wish not to be associated with Valley Village and lets keep it that way for we do not share the same interest. From public transit (which we almost didn't have the bus way because of them and also thanks to them, we have a bus way instead of a light rail), to condos, to building heights, to diversity, to billboards, to affordable housing; we do not see eye to eye. Bye the way, the wildly popular Orange line (which they mentioned that only the poor working class would ride, being part of their reasoning for opposition) has about reached its capacity and a Rail line will be needed in the coming years to accommodate. Now that North Hollywood is on a fast rebound, doesn't give them the right to be associated with the community and reap the benefits of our fruit when people in NoHo worked so hard to improve it, working our hearts out for something we believed in. When you make your bed, you should lay in it
I don't see any need to combine these articles; in any case, if the consensus is to merge them, then North Hollywood should survive as the larger and more historic location. PKM 22:29, 15 October 2005 (UTC)
I agree, in the article on Valley Village, of it is listed to be west of North Hollywood, not northwest. User Racheck says the part of North Hollywood, north of Valley Village is Valley Village.
Do not merge, Valley Village will enjoy its 70th anniversary in 2006. It has a distinct identity quite separate from North Hollywood which is much larger anyway. Having lived in this area since 1994 I would say they are obviously two quite distinct areas.
Each area deserves its own article. Valley Village is a relatively new creation.
Different identities, different places.
Different Entities, Different Articles
As Valley Village is a different section of Los Angeles, and is recognized as such not only by people living in the area, but by formal bodies as well, it does not makes sense that these to articles should be combined.
Incidentally, I don't think that all 916** ZIP Codes are Valley Village--I believe that at least two are Studio City codes. Regardless, Postal ZIP Codes are not necessarily assigned to municipally designated place names.Kaibab 05:16, 4 March 2006 (UTC)
- 91604 is entirely Studio City. 91602 cover corners of Studio City, North Hollywood, Toluca Lake and <gack> West Toluca Lake. The post office officially counts 91602 as NH. (I live in the Studio City part of 91602) - PKM 18:47, 4 March 2006 (UTC)
- 91601 is the NoHo Arts District; 91602 is Toluca Lake; 91604 is Studio City; 91605 is North Hollywood; 91606 is North Hollywood and Valley Glen (though the Post Office does not recognise Valley Glen); 91607 is Valley Village; 91608 is Universal City. Other 916* ZIP codes are PO Boxes or unique-designation ZIP codes. All of these places are either North Hollywood or places that have seceded from North Hollywood. For example, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power addresses all 916* customers as North Hollywood and all 914* customers, even those in Sherman Oaks, as Van Nuys. I agree, however, that Valley Village, Valley Glen, Toluca Lake, Studio City, Universal City and the NoHo Arts District should remain as separate articles. Dasubergeek 00:04, 2 August 2006 (UTC)
the article doesn't state where north hollywood begins and ends. for example, on the east side, where does north hollywood end and where does burbank begin? etc. it would be nice to say what specific streets encapsulate the area.
- I have attempted to do just this, though I am not 100% certain that I have gotten the streets right. I live here in Los Angeles, but not in NoHo and have not yet run my text by a native resident. Still, I am certain that I am at least very close. And I have added an actual map of its location within LA. Crazy that this article did not have this before. KDS4444Talk 07:32, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
I fixed some vandalism linking to a porn site. 184.108.40.206 05:42, 2 August 2007 (UTC)
Subway Stations seem wrong
>>> The two tunnels between the North Hollywood and Universal City stations were a total of 10,541 feet. The cost of building the two tunnels was $65.4 million and involved 250 workers. Experts estimate the costs of the same work in 2007 would be well over double if not triple given the increased costs of construction materials and labor. <<<
It seems that this paragraph actually discusses the tunnels between Universal City and Hollywood/Highland stations. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Edgreenberg (talk • contribs) 05:45, 31 July 2008 (UTC)
Move discussion in progress
There is a move discussion in progress on Talk:Miracle Mile, Los Angeles, California which affects this page. Please participate on that page and not in this talk page section. Thank you. —RM bot 19:30, 24 April 2010 (UTC)
Could someone please change the map coordinates in the box to 34°10'26.35"N118°22'44.49"W? I don’t know how to do it.
- Not sure why, that's basically a stone's throw from the ones that were there, but they needed a decimal place shaved off anyway, so... done. --Junkyardsparkle (talk) 01:10, 10 October 2015 (UTC)
The comment(s) below were originally left at several discussions in past years, these subpages are now deprecated. The comments may be irrelevant or outdated; if so, please feel free to remove this section., and are posted here for posterity. Following
|Andrea Lambert this may be the head of a match? you put it in/out...
rustle(again) skitter(again) thanx for turning me on. The Pogues. i got off the kerouac trip. from the outside/in. yeah, J O B. responsibilities. My own place. nausea=m=ad.arABBIT>yES.21473. find me if you will...gramma scrawl. seizure sprawl cold clutching pencil=911 youmade the call. if we weren't so fucked ida married youse.220.127.116.11 (talk) 05:21, 4 July 2008 (UTC)
Last edited at 23:38, 4 May 2010 (UTC). Substituted at 01:30, 30 April 2016 (UTC)