From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Writing systems (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article falls within the scope of WikiProject Writing systems, a WikiProject interested in improving the encyclopaedic coverage and content of articles relating to writing systems on Wikipedia. If you would like to help out, you are welcome to drop by the project page and/or leave a query at the project’s talk page.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.

I wonder, there is no meaning of "O" (like in other letters)? Samohyl Jan 15:34, 27 Jan 2005 (UTC)

O(1) time?[edit]

There isn't anything mentioned on the page about what "O" means with regards to time - for example, saying that something takes O(1) time, or O(n) time, or so on. I'm not sure what this construct is actually called, and even less about what it really means (hence my wanting to look it up in the first place). It would be nice to at least mention this use of O on the page, with a link to the more detailed wiki page on it, whatever it is. :D --Ciaran H 10:47, 15 June 2006 (UTC)

After a bit of research, it seems that this is called Big O notation or Landau notation. I'm going to put a link to the first in the article, but it could probably be expanded. --Ciaran H 10:52, 15 June 2006 (UTC)
My apologies, it's already there. It would be nice to have it clarified though, maybe with an example of O(1) or something in the text to mean constant. --Ciaran H 10:54, 15 June 2006 (UTC)


If there is anyone out there who knows what half these IPA letters actually mean, post a few examples please. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 00:08, 9 June 2008 (UTC)

O in old typeface with a dot or diamond in the middle[edit]

I often see text that is using an typeface, GothicaBastarda for example, pretending to be old, medieval gothic or satanic, and the O and other characters with round space in them has a dot or diamond in the center. Why is this and what is the dot called? Is this similar to the strike though 0 often used in computing? —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 12:04, 28 November 2008 (UTC)


I know it's not used much these days (or at least rarely distinguished from oh) but there ought to be some mention of O (always capitalized) as a marker for the vocative case. --Trovatore (talk) 22:55, 6 May 2009 (UTC)


Does "associated" mean "related"? The word "associated" appears in the "Use in other orthographies" section. Speling12345 (talk) 2:38, 13 December 2013 (UTC)