Talk:Oblique type

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Typography (Rated Stub-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Typography, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of articles related to Typography on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Stub-Class article Stub  This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the importance scale.


Oh dear. It's a bit crap to have to POV a typography page, but Oblique type is a mere distortion? The article seems to be about what Oblique type is not, not what it is. Needs someone who has a clue to rewrite it. --00:35, 8 November 2005 (UTC)

All right, I think I've fixed it. Could still use some expansion, and someone could probably make an example image. --Bryan Nguyen | Talk 01:18, 10 November 2005 (UTC)
I still don't get it. Oblique means distorted roman letters, but how are italics not just that? What does "different glyph shapes" mean? Roman vs italics seem to use just as different glyphs as roman vs oblique. I'd really like some further explanation. (talk) 08:15, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
There's two answers, the historical and the current. The historical: italics have a completely different history, "normal" type coming from book faces. For more information, you might want to study calligraphy a bit, where the difference between book and italic faces are quite clear; but the main idea is that italics are a completely different face than the Roman or "normal" equivalent. The current: If you look carefully at a true italic font, you'll notice that although the letter shapes are similar to their Roman counterparts, they are not identical. The best letter to compare is the lower-case 'a': in a book face, the letter has a bowl and a stroke that comes out the top and angles or curves left; whereas in an italic face, the letter is basically a circle or oval with a tail on the right side. On the other hand, Roman vs oblique for a font are essentially the same letters: they would have the same 'a' shape. Lower-case 'f' and 'g' are other good letters to compare: in Roman vs. Oblique, they will look essentially the same; the italic equivalent will usually have a shape more associated with the historic italic hands. Hmm... maybe I should put this in the article itself ... if I can find some references, I will. Fool4jesus (talk) 18:34, 21 May 2009 (UTC)

Angle of distortion[edit]

I would appreciate some information about what angle is usually used for slanting. -- (talk) 13:43, 16 May 2009 (UTC)

Usually between 8 and 12 degrees. The "File:Oblique type example.svg" example used in with this article has a 10 degree slant. --Marc Kupper|talk 04:37, 23 August 2010 (UTC)

Example Boxes are empty... WTF?[edit]

"As can be seen in the diagrams,..."

Well no, it can't be seen in the diagrams. Nothing in the boxes -- just a blank black box with a green border. Someone forget to put the illustrations in?

It seems to be fine on Safari, Chrome and Firefox. Can you tell me what browser you're using? Are you sure your connection is reliable? Blythwood (talk) 12:41, 7 January 2015 (UTC)