Talk:Old Fashioned glass

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
WikiProject Food and drink / Bartending (Rated Stub-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Food and drink, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of food and drink related articles on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Stub-Class article Stub  This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.

Requested move[edit]

The following discussion is an archived discussion of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

Page moved to Old Fashioned glass. I was going to close as no consensus, but on close reading it seems that there was a weak consensus to move to the new name. Weak, mainly since everyone did not comment on using it. Also this name aolready had some incoming links so it was being used in some articles. In any case, if this is not acceptable the move discussion can be restarted. Vegaswikian (talk) 22:50, 1 December 2010 (UTC)

Old fashioned glassOld Fashioned (cocktail glass) — To specify that it is a cocktail glass. Also, to make the capitalization in the name of the glass the same as the capitalization in the name of the cocktail (Old Fashioned). Wahrmund (talk) 20:06, 21 November 2010 (UTC)

  • Do people normally call this glass an "Old Fashioned"? If not, the title "Old Fashioned glass" is a better option. I appreciate the idea to change the capitalization, since it is "a glass for an Old Fashioned", rather than "a glass that is old fashioned". ComputScientist (talk) 22:13, 21 November 2010 (UTC)

It's called either an Old Fashioned glass or a rocks glass, which is a redirect to this page. Wahrmund (talk) 02:26, 22 November 2010 (UTC)

I see. But it is not merely called "an Old Fashioned" (without saying glass), is it? I mean, if this article would never be called "Old Fashioned" (as opposed to "Old Fashioned glass"), then it should not be called "Old Fashioned (cocktail glass)". ComputScientist (talk) 13:39, 22 November 2010 (UTC)
Exactly. --Born2cycle (talk) 22:02, 29 November 2010 (UTC)

Of course, in everyday usage it is called an "Old Fashioned glass." But an encyclopedia ought to be more precise in its language. Wahrmund (talk) 16:06, 22 November 2010 (UTC)

  • Oppose. First, I would support this move if the subject was commonly referred to as just "Old Fashioned". However, there is no evidence of that, and no one is even claiming it. There is no denial that "Old fashioned glass" is the most common name. Second, as to the claim that "an encyclopedia ought to be more precise", Wikipedia naming policy is very clear about this: "be precise, but no more precise than is necessary". The precision that adding "cocktail" to the title in any form brings here is simply not necessary. That is, "Old fashioned glass" already conveys the name of the subject and is not ambiguous. --Born2cycle (talk) 18:59, 22 November 2010 (UTC)
That is not true at all. "Old Fashioned glass" is inherently ambiguous because it conveys the idea of a former style of glassware that is no longer popular or current. "Old Fashioned (cocktail glass)" eliminates this ambiguity and is therefore more precise Wahrmund (talk) 22:02, 22 November 2010 (UTC)
Old Fashioned (cocktail glass) would incorrectly indicate that the name of this subject is "Old Fashioned". I would support moving this article to Old Fashioned glass. --Born2cycle (talk) 21:59, 29 November 2010 (UTC)
  • Oppose Per Born2cycle, be precise but no more precise than is necessary. All of the articles under the glassware theme appear to employ the exact same format, XXXX glass, so I don't see a qualifier as being necessary here. Particularly given this glass type is used for straight scotch or other whiskey, which are not a cocktail.--Labattblueboy (talk) 19:34, 23 November 2010 (UTC)
  • Support this is different from handmade glass panes for windows (talk) 05:35, 24 November 2010 (UTC)
  • Oppose, just because I think the parentheses are wrong. I support the change in capitalization. "Old Fashioned glass" would be best; "Old Fashioned cocktail glass" also OK if a bit too specific (if one person in a million comes here for advice about windows, it's not a big problem!). But with the parentheses "Old Fashioned (cocktail glass)" is like moving Red Square to Red (square). ComputScientist (talk) 09:07, 24 November 2010 (UTC)
The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

"Rocks glass" redirects here.[edit]

I'm not sure, but doesn't "rocks glass" usually refer to a smaller glass, 4-6 oz, with a more banked shape and a thick base, so that the shot itself is exaggerated and the glass appears full once ice is added? I can't find a decent reference, but this is what I mean. Twin Bird (talk) 22:20, 10 December 2011 (UTC)

  • The short answer is no — it does not refer to that. Rocks glasses come in sizes 5.5–12 ounces, Wahrmund (talk) 01:30, 11 December 2011 (UTC)