Talk:Online help

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Software / Computing  (Rated Stub-class, High-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Software, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of software on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Stub-Class article Stub  This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the project's quality scale.
 High  This article has been rated as High-importance on the project's importance scale.
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by WikiProject Computing.
Note icon
This article has been marked as needing immediate attention.


I moved the image in from the main Help page (which didn't actually have any mention of computers, other than in the caption to the image). sheridan 23:25, 2005 Jan 3 (UTC)

Why "Online"?[edit]

Would someone describe if WHY those systems are called "ONLINE" help? In fact, _online_ help should be hosted in Internet, but if the documentation is located on user's PC, isn't it more correct to name it _OFFLINE_ help?

Aaleksanyants (talk) 12:37, 7 February 2009 (UTC)

I've wondered this myself. The usage is in other places as well ("Online Editor" is sometimes seen as a credit at the end of TV programs) and I never could figure out where the "online" part came from.-- (talk) 02:57, 1 May 2009 (UTC)

This distinction/question/pet peeve becomes more and more relevant as there is more and more help for proprietary applications delivered over the internet. I can get many of my answers about Microsoft Word by searching from Google. There are also many industry-specific software apps that also have help and solutions available on the wider internet. In the vast majority of cases, this doesn't mean that the companies making the software have stopped providing help that is delivered as context-sensitive parts of their applications, but it does mean that we need to distinguish between "application help" (which is what I would choose to call it, unless someone has a better idea) and "online help." The way this page uses the term is patently incorrect in my opinion. And to evolve and stay correct, we need to change that label. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Shoeibbob (talkcontribs) 21:06, 28 March 2012 (UTC)

I think historically, the term "online" referred to the documentation being on your computer, in electronic format, rather than in a printed manual. Yes, computer software used to come with printed manuals! :-) I agree that this really should be corrected/consolidated, along with the Web help page. ScottAllenOnline (talk) 21:12, 27 October 2014 (UTC)