|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Outdoor education article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|WikiProject Alternative education||(Rated Start-class, High-importance)|
|WikiProject Education||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
- 1 Talk archiving
- 2 Outdoor education wikibook
- 3 Outdoor education wikiversity
- 4 References
- 5 Education outside the Classroom
- 6 Tidy up, and a place for external links
- 7 wrong lang link
- 8 Schools that offer a degree in Outdoor Education
- 9 They see me rolling, but hating
- 10 External links modified
Past talk about this article has been archived. Many relevant and unresolved issues still remain with this article, however, and many past comments are still relevant:
The archive covers the period 2006-7. I see nothing in it from 2008. How many more years will this much criticised article remain in place, unchanged, as the description of 'outdoor education' that Wikipedia readers will see? This article should be clearly marked 'work in progress' or 'under construction'. Don't make this scare you away if you wish to make improvements or deletions, little or large. RGreenaway (talk) 19:59, 5 November 2008 (UTC)
Outdoor education wikibook
A sister project has been started to develop a free, online outdoor education textbook, see wikibooks:Outdoor Education. Editors of this article are encouraged to consider also contributing to the book. -- Jtneill - Talk 01:28, 21 March 2008 (UTC)
Outdoor education wikiversity
In a similar vein, a wikiversity project has been created for outdoor education, to gather and develop outdoor education teaching materials. See v:Outdoor education -- Jtneill - Talk 01:32, 21 March 2008 (UTC)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Education outside the Classroom
I know this article is carefully protected by a number of people, and I agree with that. I'd like to suggest a new section within it: Education outside the Classroom. This would argue that there is benefit in teaching children curriculum topics by taking them out of their school building, and that an unfounded risk aversion amongst teachers is preventing it. See the British House of Commons' Education and Skills Committee's report HC120: Education Outside the Classroom, Tim Gill's book No Fear, the DfES's leaflet on Learning Outside the Classroom, and much more.
- OK, I've done that. Should add more on the benefits and curriculum content of typical activities, although if that gets detailed, it should be a new page. I'm sure some mention is helpful because the rest of Outdoor education is generally physical. --- Rixs (talk) 12:49, 30 December 2009 (UTC)
Lots of people want to add external links to this page, and the See also section is pretty mixed already. I think we make several changes here:
- Create a new page, e.g. List of outdoor education providers where individual groups can be listed, and remove them from here.
- Change the various Topics, and references to people and newspaper articles into narrative in the main text.
- Encourage more paragraphs about the nature and benefits outdoor education itself, allowing the various categories such as Scouting and Summer camp to be explored, without them taking over this article.
- Reduce the use of long lists without explanation, e.g. people influencing the roots of modern outdoor education.
Schools that offer a degree in Outdoor Education
Schools that offer a degree in Outdoor Education
They see me rolling, but hating
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 8 external links on Outdoor education. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20080701175419/http://eyfs.keymedia.info/resources/downloads/3.3b_ep.pdf to http://eyfs.keymedia.info/resources/downloads/3.3b_ep.pdf
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20110516101939/http://www.waldkiga.com:80/04_info/docs/WKG-erstesSchuljahr.pdf to http://www.waldkiga.com/04_info/docs/WKG-erstesSchuljahr.pdf
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20071110062628/http://www.outwardbound.net:80/about/history/ob-birth.html to http://www.outwardbound.net/about/history/ob-birth.html
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20120823114839/http://www.sacredpassage.com:80/guides/wonTeacher.php to http://www.sacredpassage.com/guides/wonTeacher.php
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20100528121744/http://www.worldwisdom.com:80/public/authors/Charles-Eastman.aspx to http://www.worldwisdom.com/public/authors/Charles-Eastman.aspx
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20120621135719/http://www.oeg.net.au:80/content.php?region=3 to http://www.oeg.net.au/content.php?region=3
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20120206172252/http://www.aore.org/about-aore/default.aspx to http://www.aore.org/about-aore/default.aspx
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20051102031018/http://www.ofsted.gov.uk:80/publications/index.cfm?fuseaction=pubs.summary&id=3719 to http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/publications/index.cfm?fuseaction=pubs.summary&id=3719
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.