I want to include this map in the article. If you editors are watching, what do you think about that?Arman ad60 (talk) 18:18, 3 April 2016 (UTC)
- Sorry but the current map is far better. Your map mixes old names and modern frontiers without a clear indication of what is what. For article maps, simplicity is the key. UCaetano (talk) 08:53, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
- Well, my map is graphically very improved and more detailed than the previous one. Well "Quality" is also an important thing here isn't it. You have said about the borders of the modern countries. There are maps likes that of other empires, For example: Saffarid empire, Samanid empire, Ghaznavid empire. So, can't my map be accepted for this article?Arman ad60 (talk) 10:36, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
- No, it isn't an improvement. Just because better maps don't exist for those other articles, doesn't mean we should use a lower quality for this one. UCaetano (talk) 11:03, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
Sorry, I think this map is better than the previous one, because it is graphically better and more detailed. I want to know what the other editors think about that. Arman ad60 (talk) 11:45, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
- If a majority of other editors support reverting to the map you're proposing, I'd have no issue in doing it. Until then, there's no new consensus, and the current map stays. UCaetano (talk) 12:13, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
It doesn't have to be one or the other. The proposed map has some advantages:
- Showing the neighbouring entities
- Showing the relation to modern day countries
- Showing important cities
the disadvantages are:
- Mixing the above in one map
- Would be better as an SVG rather than png
- AD and BC should be caps - or better still left off the map, the caption can carry this info
- I would not use the inset box, the geography of the region is pretty well known.
Conversely the Infobox map is very simple, which is good for its role there.
I would like, ideally, to see a series of maps that show the empire at different stages and dates, with appropriate contemporary features, cities, neighbours, battle sites, commerce routes, depending on the historical narrative, and a separate map showing just the empire as it relates to the modern world. The map in the infobox, should I think, remain, though I would have no objection to unifying the colouring and layout.
All the best: Rich Farmbrough, 13:25, 4 April 2016 (UTC).
- Also note that File:Parther reich.jpg is in German, which would be a good item to fix. All the best: Rich Farmbrough, 13:30, 4 April 2016 (UTC).
- If someone also would expand the eastern part of the this map File:Parther reich.jpg so it resembles the eastern border of the current map on the article, that would be perfection. --HistoryofIran (talk) 13:37, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
- there are problems, but also advantages, with this map. The caption is wrong - it clearly doesn't show the empire over its full period. It needs to be explained that the modern borders are also shown, but this is very useful. I'm bewildered by RF's claim that "the geography of the region is pretty well known" - to most non-locals it remains very obscure. We need not remove another map, and is not right for the infobox. Johnbod (talk) 17:02, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
- Not my intent to bewilder. I mean that people know that this area is at the juncture of Europe, Asia and Africa, that the bodies of water are the Med, the Persian Gulf, and the Red Sea, even if they cannot name the Caspian and Black Seas.
- Certainly if a historical map is overlaid with Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Syria etc. to provide context, it is reasonable to assume that the context itself does not require context.
- All the best: Rich Farmbrough, 19:55, 4 April 2016 (UTC).
My map may have many problems. But first let me know one thing. What about the "quality" of the maps. I think my map is graphically a significant improvement. The previous one looks like a "childish hand-made map". In terms of quality, which one do you think is better? Arman ad60 (talk) 17:58, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
- I like the current one more more, since 'your' map has too many errors which has already been mentioned. --HistoryofIran (talk) 20:22, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
OK, I have presented two more maps here. What do you think about them:
- Not only the current map is still better, but none of the 3 maps you presented agree with each other on the boundaries. UCaetano (talk) 09:37, 5 April 2016 (UTC)