|WikiProject Connecticut||(Rated C-class, High-importance)|
|WikiProject Indigenous peoples of North America||(Rated C-class)|
At Wikipedia:WikiProject Ethnic Groups/Pequot, I've tried to use this material as a sample to test out our work in progress on a more uniform framework to discuss ethnic groups. Please, if you are tracking this article, have a look, tell me what you think. I'd like to supersede the current article with something more like that (though probably moving the TBDs to this talk page). -- Jmabel 01:16, 7 Feb 2004 (UTC)
- Lacking comment, I've gone live with that. -- Jmabel 23:38, 16 Feb 2004 (UTC)
2 cut sentences
The following was recently anonymously added, with no sources cited. I've cut it, pending citation:
- "There is much debate over the validity of the tribe and its members. It is also interesting to note that 100 of the 350 tribal members have criminal records."
- There may be debate over the validity of the tribe, but how can there be debate over the validity of its members? An what use is it to refer to "debate over the validity of the tribe" with no clarification of the nature of that debate?
- "It is also interesting to note that..." Pure POV, cut even if the rest of this can be cited
- The number 350 suggests that the statement is being made about the western Pequot, although the placement of this sentence suggested otherwise.
- "100 of the 350 tribal members have criminal records" A statement like this clearly needs citation to a reliable source.
06:16, Dec 9, 2004 (UTC)
Yeah seems like a good idea. looks fishy. Alex Wilhelm
I would suggest a change in tense in the first paragraphs since the Pequot clearly still exist. Also, the English they were at war with were Puritan. It seems to me this should be part of the article since "English" over "Puritan" implies a purely racial conflict. In truth the war was borne of cultural, religious, and ethnic differences.
Added links to the Pequot tribal casino, Foxwoods including a link to the historical section of that site. Wjbean 15:21, 15 April 2006 (UTC)
"The Pequot War and Mystic massacre reduced the Pequot's sociopolitical influence in southern New England."
"The Holocaust reduced the Jews' sociopolitical influence in Eastern Europe."
The comment(s) below were originally left at several discussions in past years, these subpages are now deprecated. The comments may be irrelevant or outdated; if so, please feel free to remove this section., and are posted here for posterity. Following
|Those comments deleted have been asserted by this book:
Without Reservation : How a Controversial Indian Tribe Rose to Power and Built the World's Largest Casino by Jeff BenedictThere are numerous sources in his book index.
Last edited at 23:37, 17 July 2012 (UTC). Substituted at 02:37, 30 April 2016 (UTC)
Recent edits/additions to article
Dilidor, I do think my changes were an improvement, so let's discuss what you don't like on the Talk page. I believe I added more context and clarification as to some of the issues related to this people and their history. Perhaps we can reach a compromise to benefit the article.Parkwells (talk) 15:42, 14 April 2017 (UTC)
- There are positives - and negatives - to both versions. The new version is somewhat more expansive, but it also introduced some wonky sentence structure. More work on it should be welcomed.--Cúchullain t/c 13:37, 18 April 2017 (UTC)
Sorry, I had not noticed this talk posting previously or I would have responded. The recent additions are definitely improvements to the intro. I am merely trying to keep grammar accurate and syntax compact. My latest edits are only addressing those concerns; I have not meddled with the content. Hope that clarifies. —Dilidor (talk) 10:10, 19 April 2017 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Pequot. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20081217141058/http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~massasoit/bermuda.htm to http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~massasoit/bermuda.htm
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20060418043400/http://www.foxwoods.com/TheMashantucketPequots/Home/ to http://www.foxwoods.com/TheMashantucketPequots/Home/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.