Talk:Phone connector (audio)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Stagecraft (Rated C-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is part of Wikipedia's Stagecraft coverage, and has come to the attention of WikiProject Stagecraft, an attempt to create a comprehensive and detailed resource on the art of stagecraft on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate in the project, you can choose to edit the article attached to this page (just like any other article!), or visit WikiProject Stagecraft, where you can join the project and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.
WikiProject Professional sound production (Rated C-class, High-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Professional sound production, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of sound recording and reproduction on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 High  This article has been rated as High-importance on the project's importance scale.

Any source of info on equipment safety?[edit]

I'd like to know if there are conditions under which equipment could be damaged while plugging this type of jack from one piece of gear to another. One already known case is when live speakers are in one end of the chain and there's sound going in - amplified enough it can damage speakers. But I am more interested if there are any conditions in which the electronics could get damaged. The reason is because in computers the "hot plug" connectors insert ground first but I don't think this is a standard practice when it comes to audio cables. Sound card line-in could be used as audio frequency oscilloscope and in oscilloscopes there are conditions that could damage the front end. Are such conditions possible with audio? Eg. perhaps if you put a line-out into phono-preamp in while blasting at full line level volume/voltage? Could line-in be damaged in such situation as well? In some equipment some noises heard through amplified outputs when connecting these cables to inputs in same equipment so this makes one concerned when working with hard to replace gear. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 09:26, 14 December 2015 (UTC)

Terminology and caption[edit]

Tip/ring/sleeve terminology says that the ring is used for the "non-inverting" signal. The caption on the accompanying picture indicates that the tip is used for the "positive phase". Based on Binksternet (talk · contribs)'s confidence in a recent revert, I have updated the caption to match the text. --Kvng (talk) 22:14, 25 March 2011 (UTC)

Twisted pair in Telco is Ring Hot, but in pro audio it is most often Tip Hot. Binksternet (talk) 00:37, 26 March 2011 (UTC)
That's not clear from the article text. If you can supply a reference, I can edit to clarify this. --Kvng (talk) 22:39, 28 March 2011 (UTC)

Article title still incorrect[edit]

After all this discussion this article is still incorrectly titled. I don't understand where the confusion is coming from? TRS is a type of "Phone Plug". Phone plugs come in different sizes (mentioned in the article) and may be TS TRS or TRRS. It is not possible for a plug to be both TS and TRS and thus TS plugs should not be listed under the title "TRS connectors". A term being widely used by common people doesn't justify its consideration as the title for a technical article. I've never seen a technical audio/sound text book that refers to a phone plug as a "Jack plug"? A jack is a socket and a plug is a plug. Technical facts. Reference 5 (one of the few actual references) will tell you this. Can I also point out that this article is within the scope of "WikiProject Professional sound production". People confusing a "Phone Plug" audio connector with something to plug in a modern day telephone line is not relevant and does not need to be a consideration. It is quite normal for two different things to share the same name. People cope with it. The title of the article needs to be technically correct based on audio texts and historical evidence (they were originally used on telephone patchboards!) Can I propose correcting the title of the article and listing both TS and TRS as separate headings. (LinusWebb (talk) 12:58, 10 June 2011 (UTC)).

I agree that the "TRS connector" title is not the best. Perhaps someone could review some of the references and see what term is most commonly used in the generic sense? From my personal experience I'd lean toward "Phone plugs and jacks", with a "see also" for telephone connectors (RJ11, etc.) and redirects from "TRS connector", "TS connector", etc. (Yes, I know, RJ11 is a wiring scheme, not a connector type!) Jeh (talk) 23:28, 2 October 2012 (UTC)
I quote from Newnes Telecommunications Pocket Book (2001): "The standard telecommunications jack plug is 0.250 inches in diameter..." For older readers, there's this Popular Science project from 1938: "Handy Condenser Key Made from Jack Plug". I'd be happy with 'jack plug'. In the beginning there were telephone jacks and telephone jack plugs, but now they are used for more than telephones and come in different diameters, so we call them jacks and jack plugs. A jack plug is a plug that fits into a jack. I can't think of another term that's inclusive enough. --Heron (talk) 07:47, 9 October 2012 (UTC)
Glen Ballou's encyclopedic Handbook for Sound Engineers (my copy from 1987) calls the connector "phone plug". He writes on page 1047 about the connector, "The term 'phone' comes from the telephone company who used a type of phone plug in their early nonautomated switchboards. Recording studio and other patch bays are close relatives of these telephone switchboards and often use some type of phone plug. The most common type of phone plug used in pro audio has a ¼-in. [one quarter inch] diameter shank and comes in two-wire (known as tip/sleeve or T/S) or three-wire (known as tip/ring/sleeve or T/R/S) versions." On the following page there are diagrams of various connectors, and the TS and TRS connectors are labeled "two-conductor phone plug" and "three-conductor phone plug". Elsewhere in the text Ballou varies his terminology. On page 1049 he writes about Hi-Z unbalanced microphones usually using a "¼-in. phone plug connector", but he also says that line level devices might use "three-conductor, ¼-in. tip/ring/sleeve (T/R/S) connectors." Hence the present name: TRS connector.
Throughout the book Ballou uses "phone plug" the most but he also uses "quarter-inch" connector, "tip/ring/sleeve" connector and "T/R/S" connector.
In the 1980s and '90s when I was getting deep into audio technology, I heard the term "quarter phone" applied to the connector quite a lot. It is probably a hybridization of the quarter-inch size and the "phone plug" name. The "quarter phone" term is not so commonly found in the literature, but there are a few guides using it: Television 101" by Greg Burden for some Alabama schools, and "The products of Pro Co Sound, Inc." a large 14.1 MB catalog of parts.
The major problem we have with "phone plug" is that the same term was commonly used for RJ11 plugs used for household telephone connectors. In fact, from 2007 to 2010, the phone plug term redirected to "phone jack" for a disambiguation page determining whether the reader wanted audio or telephone usage. I think that is why something other than "phone plug" or "phone jack" was decided upon for this article's name.
"Quarter-inch" is a poor name because there are other sizes that go by the same general name. Minijack is typically one-eighth of an inch while sub-mini is smaller. Bell & Howell 16mm film projectors used a .210-inch connector for the loudspeaker jack, the same size as firefighter's phone jacks. Tiny telephone patch cables use 4.4 mm connectors. All of these go by the same basic name: phone plug, jack plug or phone jack. Binksternet (talk) 00:01, 9 October 2012 (UTC)
I would be terribly unhappy with "jack plug".
"Jack plug" is ambiguous as there are several types of connectors called "jacks". I am not talking about just differences in diameter. In addition to the phone plugs and phone jacks described here, there are phono ("RCA") plugs and jacks, and banana plugs and jacks. Even XLR connectors are sometimes called "XLR plugs" and "XLR jacks".
I checked manuals that came from a few pro audio manufacturers: Mackie, Rane, Behringer, Allen and Heath. The first two never seem to mention "jack plug". The latter do. Both of the latter are based outside of the US.
I checked the major electronics distributors in the US (Newark, Digikey, Mouser, Allied). I could not find "jack plugs" listed. At each site, once having selected a connector type (RCA or phone or banana) I was then offered a choice between "plugs" and "jacks". Same at the infamous retailer Radio Shack. I did check Maplin in the UK; they have a few plugs listed as "jack plugs" but for the most part they follow the "plug" and "jack" terminology too.
Re. Newnes and telecom (i.e. the telephone industry), I have to believe that that passage has not been updated for a long time. Not regarding the term "jack plug", but because I cannot imagine how anyone who is reasonably current would describe these things as "the standard telecommunications" anything! Phone plugs and jacks, of any diameter, are hardly ever used in telecom and have not been for decades. They were of course once common on switchboards, but switchboards are no more. The most recently surviving "common" use was probably for headsets that plugged into an operator's console, but no new designs use cylindrical connectors for those either. They've all gone to modular plugs and jacks. (And no, the males of those are not called "jack plugs" either. Even though they fit into jacks.) Jeh (talk) 16:35, 9 October 2012 (UTC)
This looks like a US/UK/international problem. RS (Radio Spares) in the UK, while not a definitive source, is likely to be used as an example by most British engineers, and it has two sections for what WP calls TRS connectors: 'bantam connectors' and 'jack connectors'. The 'bantam connectors' are 4.4 mm (0.173") diameter, and the 'jack connectors' section contains the 1/4-in, 2.5 mm and 3.5 mm jack plugs and sockets. RS's main supplier seems to be Switchcraft Inc. (apparently American), who in their data sheets refer to 'jack plug' and 'jack socket'. Farnell/CPC, the UK's other major catalogue supplier, calls them 'Jack Plugs & Sockets' (including 2.5mm, 3.5mm, 1/4-in and bantam). In the US, DigiKey uses the term 'barrel connectors' for phone and RCA types combined. Unfortunately this contradicts WP, which uses 'barrel' for the DC power connectors. Within that class, DigiKey uses 'phone plug' and 'phone jack' for all sizes of TRS connector. Neutrik (European) use the generic term 'plugs and jacks', then more specifically '1/4 in plugs and jacks' and '3.5 mm plugs and jacks', and also refer to TS/TRS in their more detailed documentation. So I think the pattern is this:
US: phone plug, phone jack
UK: jack plug, jack socket
Europe: jack plug, jack
I think we should decide arbitrarily on either 'phone plug and jacks' or 'jack plugs and sockets', and then define TS/TRS/TRRS as sub-types. TS/TRS/TRRS were never intended as the top-level terms. Personally, as a Brit, I don't mind if we use the American terms, as they apparently invented the phone jack in the first place. We will just have to explain in the intro that the word 'phone' is historical. --Heron (talk) 09:58, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
Good arguments, folks. I think "Phone plug" is the best solution. Binksternet (talk) 13:06, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
Just to throw in a point here, there seems no reason to use "plug and jacks" when "connectors" is sufficient. Why complicate things with an unnecessarily long title?
Also, I agree with Heron that this seems to be a regional English issue as much as anything. In principle, I have no objection to using the US form (I'm British btw), but would personally choose "jack connector" or similar due to the ambiguous nature of "phone connector", i.e. the easy confusion with RJ11 connectors, BS 6312 connectors etc.
Alphathon /'æɫ.fə.θɒn/ (talk) 21:08, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
I just discovered another long discussion on this at Talk:Jack_plug#Move_concerns. Let's make sure we don't get stuck in Groundhog Day. --Heron (talk) 09:27, 11 October 2012 (UTC)
"Jack connector" is also easily confused with phono jacks, banana jacks, etc. And "jack" and "connector" are redundant, because a jack IS a connector. Regarding the confusion with connectors used with telephones, we have to accept the fact that said confusion is baked into the commonly used term "phone plug". If distributors' and manufacturers' catalogs can tolerate it, so can we. A see also or similar note can lead people to RJ11 connectors, etc. Personally I like "Phone plugs and jacks". The article is about both, after all. Jeh (talk) 11:38, 11 October 2012 (UTC)
Fair enough I suppose (although jack and connector aren't redundant outside of North America; a jack is what we'd call a socket). Regardless though, I still see no reason to use "plugs and jacks" when we have a term the encompass both ("connector"), especially when "jack" is region-specific as a term for the receptacle. There seems to be no good reason for doing so. Alphathon /'æɫ.fə.θɒn/ (talk) 08:58, 12 October 2012 (UTC)

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── Ok, then are there any strong objections to "Phone connector"?? It seems to me that all of the people who live in "jack plug" countries have said they wouldn't insist on "jack plug." That leaves us with "Phone something". Of course we would have redirects from "Phone plug", etc. Jeh (talk) 10:43, 12 October 2012 (UTC)

Plenty of books and articles use the term "phone connector", so that would be okay with me. Binksternet (talk) 16:31, 12 October 2012 (UTC)
There is no obviously good solution now or before. I don't see any of other proposed titles as being an improvement. I propose we put our editorial energies elsewhere. ---—Kvng 02:51, 16 October 2012 (UTC)
Looks to me as if there is good consensus for some sort of "Phone" related name, more so than for keeping TRS. I think it would be constructive for us to decide between "Phone connector", "Phone jack", "Phone plug", "Phone plug connector" and "Phone plugs and jacks". Binksternet (talk) 03:02, 16 October 2012 (UTC)
To Kvng: I don't see how you can support the current title. I see NO support here, except yours, for keeping "TRS connector". A TRS connector is a sub-type of phone connector, and the term is not familiar to the general public; this title is like having an article on the entire Kennedy family titled "Patrick Kennedy". The "principle of least astonishment" applies; I think most nontechnical people are pretty surprised when they search for "phone plug" or "jack plug" takes them to "TRS connector".
I cannot defend TRS connector. Whatever gets this finished I support. Due to regional variations and other issues, I don't think there's an universally optimal solution here. A rename to one of the current suggestions may make a small improvement. There are a lot of redirects, disambigs and interactions with other articles; A rename is not going to be simple. -—Kvng 14:57, 20 October 2012 (UTC)
Any of the "Phone xxx" in Binksternet's list just above would be an improvement. The principle of using the more general term rather than specific subtype eliminates "Phone jack", "Phone plug", and "Phone plug connector". That leaves us with "Phone connector" or "Phone plugs and jacks". I think we have a definite, though not the strongest possible, consensus that "Phone connector" is the right choice. Jeh (talk) 18:58, 16 October 2012 (UTC)
Another possibility is to use a parenthetical term to disambiguate, something like Phone jack (audio), or Phone connector (audio). Binksternet (talk) 20:01, 16 October 2012 (UTC)
Looks good. There is ample precedent. I'd prefer "Phone connector {audio)" as both "plug" or "jack" would be specifying a subtype. Not as narrow as "TRS connector", but still. Granted that the things are sometimes used for non-audio work (like power connectors, and TRRS even carry video too) but that is purely an "edge" case; they are far and away most closely associated with audio. Jeh (talk) 09:59, 17 October 2012 (UTC)

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────Article has been moved to Phone connector (audio). I am now cleaning up the many redirects and links. Binksternet (talk) 02:56, 21 October 2012 (UTC)

Yay. You know, you don't necessarily have to clean up links. If a redirect works, that's fine, and per WP:RDR, double redirects are usually cleaned up by a bot. Jeh (talk) 07:18, 21 October 2012 (UTC)
I'm going to slowly make my way through the links anyway because this is a good chance to update the terminology used in those article. Binksternet (talk) 16:02, 21 October 2012 (UTC)
Good point. I'll work on them too, maybe starting from the end. Jeh (talk) 19:02, 21 October 2012 (UTC)

Jacks and plugs: vernacular versus pedants[edit]

Many people refer to the plug as a jack. Microsoft Windows has a balloon pop-up for some hardware which detects a plug being inserted. The popup says "a jack has been plugged in". Furthermore, sci-fi writer William Gibson penned the phrase "jacking in" denoting the establishment of a connection between the brain and an electronic network. Note the "in". Which part goes in? The plug! Gibson's "jacking in" is clearly, unmistakably a synonym for "plugging in", which tends to make "jack" and "plug" equivalent. The plug is what people manipulate; they don't concern themselves with the receptacle it goes into (so long as it's the right one), or what its name is; and when they do need to invoke its name, they can usually come up with the word "socket" or "hole". Plugs more frequently need replacement. If you are involved in pro audio, or just play guitar, you will likely solder far more plugs in your lifetime than jacks, to make your own patch cables or repair broken ones. Next argument: why would a female receptacle be called Jack? A plug is a kind of penis-like object (which is why we call it male), so obviously it must be the part given the name Jack. How about a jack for lifting a vehicle? A hydraulic jack is a phallic structure resembling a plug more than a socket. It's something active which pushes, exerting a force, and not a passive receptacle. How about "jacking off?" That refers to male masturbation; manipulation of the plug, so to speak. And you wonder why people instinctively call the plug "jack"? (talk) 22:52, 17 June 2011 (UTC)

Not surprisingly, this nearly-complete load of specious, facetious rubbish is unsigned....

Making the distinction between a "plug" and a "jack" has nothing whatever to do with pedantry - it has everything to do with reducing confusion, by taking advantage of every available opportunity to correct INVALID USAGE of technical terms by lay people. That's part of what Wikipedia technical articles are all about, wise-acre!

The sad fact that, "Many people refer to the plug as a jack.", is not relevant, and is to be combated, not encouraged.

The sad fact that Micro-squish Windows uses BLATANTLY-WRONG language for many of its pop-up idiocies is also not relevant, and hardly surprising.

When Science Fiction (...or "SF", but NEVER "sci-fi", thank you very much!) "...writer William Gibson penned the phrase "jacking in"...", he was referring to PLUGGING connections into the "wet-wired" JACKS that had been installed in his protagonists' skulls, and PLUGGING the other ends into the JACKS on their network interfaces. This is a colloquial and/or figurative use (or, perhaps more accurately, "abuse"), a form of slang which, IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER, "...tends to make "jack" and "plug" equivalent." It's called literary license, which is, again, NOT RELEVANT here, in a technical, "Stagecraft Project" article.

Next, "...what people manipulate..." and what, in your estimation, "...they don't concern themselves with..." is, once more, IRRELEVANT in a technical article, except as a notation of the various INCORRECT usages to which a term may be subjected. That's one of the many reasons people come to Wiki'pages - to find and learn the CORRECT usage of technical terms!

Now, to give you your (extremely limited) due, you ARE quite right about the general proportion of plugs vs. jacks soldered in a career. (I've been "...involved in pro audio..." for well past thirty years, now, and have soldered more plugs AND jacks, of more different types, than any ten average people are likely to SEE in their lifetimes.)

As for the remainder of your so-called "arguments", I won't even dignify them by directly responding to your preposterous assertions that the etymology of the term "jack" is all wrong, because a "feminine" receptacle can't be given a "masculine" name like "Jack", that the subject under discussion bears ANY relationship to hydraulic lifting devices, or that "jacking off" (other than the "verbal masturbation" you've demonstrated here) even counts as an "argument"....

The Doctor Is On (talk) 21:03, 1 September 2012 (UTC)

To the IP - a simple question: What do you use to fill up a hole? A plug, of course. Not a jack. Any questions? Jeh (talk) 23:24, 2 October 2012 (UTC)

2 Mono and stereo compatibility[edit]

The results of this physical compatibility are:

"If a two-conductor plug of the same size is connected to a three-conductor socket, the result is that the ring (right channel) of the socket is grounded. This property is deliberately used in several applications, see "tip ring sleeve", below. However, grounding one channel may also be dangerous to the equipment if the result is to short circuit the output of the right channel amplifier. In any case, any signal from the right channel is naturally lost."

This is actually not true. There is a workaround for mono plugs plugged in a stereo socket: If the plug is not plugged in fully, but just that the grounding contact of the stereo socket is covering the grounding cotact of the mono plug, both (the left and right channel) contacts of the socket touch the the contact of the plug. This results in both stereo channels combined to a mono channel. (e.g., both speakers of mono headphones would play the same, mixed audio of the left and right channel.) This also eliminates the threat of grounding the right channel.

Just a remark that the signal from the right channel is not lost and a tip how to prevent damage because of grounding a channel. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 01:26, 23 June 2011 (UTC)

Not quite...

When a 2-conductor (TS) plug is "half-jacked" into a 3-conductor (TRS) receptacle, the Tip & Shell of the "mono" plug will contact the Ring & Shell of the "stereo" jack. While this does avoid shorting the "unused" contact to ground, it only picks up the RIGHT channel of the "stereo" jack, unless both Tip and Ring of said jack have internal "Double-Throw" switching capability, and have been wired such that the "Normally-Closed" switching pin of the Tip is "normalled-through" to the "Normally-Open" switching pin of the Ring. (...pretty easy to see in schematic form, kinda difficult to "get" when only described verbally, and I'm nowhere NEAR conversant enough with Wikipedia to attach a drawing here, yet, if that's even possible on a Talk page....)

The Doctor Is On (talk) 21:26, 1 September 2012 (UTC)

2.5 mm and 3.5mm AUDIO JACK[edit]

why is this called TRS connector? that is not a commonly used name. Try to ask salesman if that phone has TRS connector..... (talk) 09:21, 8 November 2011 (UTC)

(Audio) jack is neither the proper name nor specific enough. Similarly, If you asked A TV salesman whether a TV had a D-sub 15 port, you are also likely to get blank looks, whereas if you were to ask if it had VGA or a PC input you would probably get an answer. The type of connection in that case is VGA (or, more properly RGBHV) but the actual connector used is a 15 pin D-subminiature connector. Besides, Audio jack redirects here.
Also, you might want to read the 4th paragraph of the lead, and see where Jack (connector) goes to.
As a side note, it has always bugged me a little that the Article is labelled TRS connector but also refers to TS and TRRS connectors. If anyone can think of a way to remedy this (without splitting the article) then I'm all ears.
Alphathon /'æɫfə.θɒn/ (talk) 14:44, 8 November 2011 (UTC)


{{frac}} looks awful. The only Customary size that needs to be discussed more than once is the ¼-inch version (the others can be described, after the introduction, simply as 2.5 mm and 3.5 mm) so use of {{frac}} should be avoided. (The "¼" character is available from the "Symbols" section of "Special characters"; you don't have to be able to type it directly.) 121a0012 (talk) 19:05, 19 February 2012 (UTC)

The frac template displays well enough for me. I don't have a problem with it. I am viewing it within Mozilla Firefox 7.0 on a PC running Windows XP. Binksternet (talk) 19:19, 19 February 2012 (UTC)
If there's something wrong with the template, perhaps it should be discussed at Template_talk:Frac. --Kvng (talk) 13:35, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
This is for the record more than anything else (since the actual discussion took place 6 months ago), but the Wikipedia Manual of Style specifically discourages the use of Unicode fraction characters (and super/sub-script numbers). See MOS:FRAC. Alphathon /'æɫ.fə.θɒn/ (talk) 04:10, 2 September 2012 (UTC)

Incorrectly cited material.[edit]

The statement "The connector's name is an initialism derived from the names of three conducting parts of the plug: Tip, Ring, and Sleeve[1] – hence, TRS." is not backed by the source cited. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 11:48, 27 February 2012 (UTC)

More unusual types[edit]

As well as the 1/4" B-type with the small tip (of which there is a photograph but no mention in the text), there is also a "long" variant of the 3.5mm plug, about 5mm longer, which was used by GEC and GPO telephones.

Also used for telephone (and occasionally other audio) purposes in the UK is the multi-way (up to eight contacts I think) connector, about 8mm in diameter and of variable length depending on the number of contacts. See [1]. They were used for headset connections in exchanges and for plug-in telephone extensions in homes and offices before the plastic mudular 600-series connectors (BS6312) were introduced. G7mzh (talk) 21:15, 25 March 2012 (UTC)

Mobile phones[edit]

Page mentions iphone and nokia would share the same pins for mic and ground. At least nokia n9 has it different from iphone. Adapter is required. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Jmalmari (talkcontribs) 16:28, 23 July 2012 (UTC)

TRRS configuration[edit]

I see in various discussions of cellphones comments regarding the pinouts/configuration for TRRS and if there are differences (Left Audio, Right Audio, Mic in, Ground, or Left Audio, Ground, Mic in). It would be helpful if a subject matter expert could add this to the article. patsw (talk) 16:37, 28 August 2012 (UTC)

"The second, which reverses these contacts, is used by older Nokia mobiles" Sure, the older standard is the second one and reverses the contacts. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 09:18, 25 August 2013 (UTC)

Actually, "Phone plug" redirects to "Telephone plug"[edit]

The note at the top of page "Phone plug" redirects here. For the plugs used to connect landline telephones, see telephone plug.

is incorrect. "Phone plug" actually redirects to "Telephone plug".

(I don't know how redirection issues are meant to be handled.) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Jokemill (talkcontribs) 06:10, 8 June 2013 (UTC)

its not Phone plug ...[edit]

its called Aux cable / Aux plug i dont knoww why and when it called like it now but search phone plug and aux cable and see what you get in the results — Preceding unsigned comment added by Maorosh11 (talkcontribs) 16:56, 9 April 2014 (UTC)

Do you have any citations that you can back your statement up with? Cables that look the same but have different names usually serve a different purpose, if I remember correctly. --k6ka (talk | contribs) 17:00, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
i try to look for sources ... :-) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Maorosh11 (talkcontribs) 17:03, 9 April 2014 (UTC) (talk) 17:08, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
after some thinking at least change the name to audio ???? instead of phone jack (talk) 17:36, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
Your "source" is laughable. "AUX is an asynchronous serial port with an interface that allows the auxiliary input of audio signals for MP3 players, headphones, portable music players, amplifiers and speakers." They're talking about a serial port! That would have utterly nothing to do with the connectors described here.
Anyway, yes, these connectors are called "phone plugs" (at least, the pointy type are called that, the ones with holes are "phone jacks"). The article has ample references.
"Aux cable" would be one specific application, if the devices being connected happen to have jacks labeled "aux" and if those jacks happen to be phone jacks (as opposed to "RCA jacks", XLR, etc.). Too, the word "cable" would refer to the entire cable assembly, not just the plugs on the ends, which is what we're talking about here.
And no, we're not changing it to "audio" because there are a very large number of connector types used for audio; phone plugs and jacks are just one type of audio connector. Jeh (talk) 18:07, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
I see you have again attempted to put your changes into the page. Please note that per WP:BRD, once your changes have been reverted you should then go to the article talk page to discuss what you want - you should not insist on your changes until they are supported by consensus. You don't get to insist on your changes just because you think they are correct.
Regarding the terminology: On the back of my home theater gear the "Aux" connectors are RCA phono, not phone jacks. On the pro side, I have two mixers with "aux" outputs and inputs ("aux send", "aux return") on XLR jacks. Yes, phone plugs are used for aux inputs but so are many other connector types. It is therefore a mistake to say the phone plugs are "also known as" aux connectors. The latter term describes a role, not any one specific type of connector. It's only an "aux" because it's labeled that way. There's a phone plug on the end of nearly every consumer-market set of headphones made in the last several decades; is that an "aux cable"? Is the jack it plugs into an "aux jack"? Nonsense. Jeh (talk) 19:19, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
Maorosh11 is incorrect here. The auxiliary input or output is a functional routing method, not a shape of connector. I have seen aux inputs and outputs of a great many variety of physical shapes and sizes, from terminal strips to Phoenix blocks to XLR connectors and beyond. Binksternet (talk) 19:49, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
To be clear, it is true that if you look on Amazon or eBay for an "aux cable," some of the cables you find will have 3.5mm phone plugs on both ends. Maybe even many of them. This is because many cars now include a 3.5mm jack labeled "aux", an input for their stereo; some home theater receivers also have 3.5mm "aux" input jacks on their front panels; and what most people connect to those jacks are things like portable MP3 players, mobile phones, and tablets, which also have 3.5mm phone jacks.
BUT! There are many, many other connector types that are also used for "aux" inputs and outputs, and there are many, many other uses of phone connectors (not just 3.5mm, but other sizes too). (As this very article makes clear!) If you are unaware of these, Maorosh11, I can only conclude that your experience is extremely limited.
Case in point - I will say again - is the 3.5mm plug on the end of headphone cords, and also on headset cords. Those are in no way called "aux connectors" and the cables they are attached to are not called "aux cables". Ever. Jeh (talk) 21:43, 9 April 2014 (UTC)



I replaced the first photo with the second one because I thought the first one was so bad. Then I got to thinking that it would be nice to show a plug up there, so I took the third one. (I really need to get out my close-up lens so it won't be so pixilated.) I'm wondering about using the third one, but my daughter says stick with the second one. What do you think? Bubba73 You talkin' to me? 04:36, 4 May 2014 (UTC)

First, there is no question whatsoever about your replacement being better than the original black-on-black!
Offhand I would prefer something showing a little more contrast, perhaps the light green color that is now standard.
Adding the phone plug to the picture does add context. I would suggest using one that does not have the threaded retainer for the quarter inch adapter. Perhaps adding a measurement scale to the picture would help also. Jeh (talk) 04:55, 4 May 2014 (UTC)
The others I have have a black background with a green ring. Maybe I'll try one of them. Bubba73 You talkin' to me? 03:15, 5 May 2014 (UTC)

1/4 Inch TRRS[edit]

Anybody ever see one of these? Stereo aeronautics use? xnamkcor (talk) 04:47, 22 June 2015 (UTC)

That would have to be stereo with a mic. Never seen one. Neither Digi-Key nor Mouser have such a thing available, though they do have them in 7.5mm (0.295 inches)! Jeh (talk) 06:09, 23 June 2015 (UTC)

Claims of distinction between 3.5mm and 1/8 inch connectors[edit]

There are several completely un-sourced sentences in the first section arguing that 1/8" and 3.5mm jacks are different connectors. I have never heard of such a thing as a truly 1/8" audio jack, nor of anyone having compatibility issues with these two differently-named connectors. As I understand it '1/8 inch' is a nominal size used in nations on the Inch-Pound system to represent a connector which is actually 3.5mm.

I will be removing these claims from the article; please do not re-include them without some citation. Walkersam (talk) 15:15, 25 June 2015 (UTC)

Edit: I should add that the section I am removing makes the claim "The common jack in things like portable music players and computer sound interfaces is the 1/8 inch size." While I may be willing to believe that actual 1/8" diameter connectors have been used in some place and time for some niche purpose, this claim here is demonstrably false. Walkersam (talk) 15:19, 25 June 2015 (UTC)

Thank you. 3.5 mm and 1/8 inch are the same jack. Binksternet (talk) 15:25, 25 June 2015 (UTC)
Concur. For example, Mouser Electronics' parts selector makes no distinction between 3.5mm and 1/8 inch. Perhaps the OP is thinking of 2.5mm, formerly commonly used for headsets on mobile phones. Jeh (talk) 06:55, 26 June 2015 (UTC)

6.3 mm or 6.35 mm (1⁄4 inch)[edit]

I read that "the outside diameter of the "sleeve" conductor is 1⁄4 inch (exactly 6.35 mm)". But I often see the jack diameter referred to as "6.3 mm" (e.g. on the German and Dutch articles of this very same subject). How come? And should this article provide some historical context, if any? MCEmperor (talk) 11:43, 8 July 2015 (UTC)

Legacy Post Answers Dimensional Questions[edit]

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it".

                                   — Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797

Who would have thought there was anything else to say about the venerable TRS connector? But it seems we are destined to re-plow old ground.

I believe my legacy post in the 2008 - 2010 section answers the above question. See:

The table at its bottom contains the diameter dimensions in both inches and MMs, for both U.S./European and Asian types.

KathectedBob (talk) 12:10, 24 July 2015 (UTC)

External links modified[edit]

Hello fellow Wikipedians,

I have just added archive links to one external link on Phone connector (audio). Please take a moment to review my edit. If necessary, add {{cbignore}} after the link to keep me from modifying it. Alternatively, you can add {{nobots|deny=InternetArchiveBot}} to keep me off the page altogether. I made the following changes:

When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true to let others know.

N Archived sources still need to be checked

Cheers. —cyberbot IITalk to my owner:Online 18:18, 17 October 2015 (UTC)