|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Place Vendôme article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
"gang of Communards" is not NPOV. I replaced it with other intent, we shall find a Wiki-consensus soon!!!
It's unclear from the article as to whose statue is on the column today. Dr. Dan 02:46, 10 March 2006 (UTC)
- Someone has substituted for "Bourbon-Condé family", "Chateauroux family". I believe this is incorrect: duc de Chateauroux is indeed a Bourbon-Condé title, needless to say. Would someone knowledgeable see to this? --Wetman 23:48, 7 October 2006 (UTC)
- The statements pertaining to the Bourbon-Conde family as still owning property in the Place Vendome and wishing to build a palace there are fictitous; the Conde family no longer exists, dying out in the early 19th Century, as several articles in Wikipedia will attest.Lorzu (talk) 05:26, 30 September 2010 (UTC)
Colonne mentioned too early in "History"
Something is not right in the part of article under "History". The second paragraph jumps into the 19th century with the history of the colonne, then we have to wait until the fourth paragraph for the origin of the square three centuries earlier. For proper continuity, paragraphs 2 & 3 need to go after 4; however, because of the pictures, I am afraid I will do something wrong if I touch it, thus becoming a vandal against my will! Someone please help. Frania W. (talk) 19:33, 28 January 2008 (UTC)
In fact, the first paragraph of "History" is itself out of place - the fourth should be the beginning of "History", then it should go on following chronological order. Frania W. (talk) 19:38, 28 January 2008 (UTC)
- Good points. I've shifted paragraphs for more logical progression and to give the Column its own section. Is that better now? It seems so to me.--Wetman (talk) 23:34, 28 January 2008 (UTC)
Bougre de canaille
Dr Dan thinks a more idiomatic translation of bougre de canaille is "fellow rabble", rather than "lowlife scum". Apparently bougre will not pass Mrs Grundy's inspection!--Wetman (talk) 08:10, 14 March 2010 (UTC)
I find "low life scum" more idiomatic and closer to the original. "Fellow" seems inappropriate. See here (in French). "Rabble" is needlessly obsolete. "Low life scum" conveys the intended vulgarity. Racconish Tk 08:57, 14 March 2010 (UTC)
Bougre de canaille
"So fellow rabble!" is lame translationese and inaccurate to boot: there is nothing to suggest "fellow" (copain or some such). I have once more rendered it "So, you low-life bugger. You is the common English signifier of a descriptive salutation, and bougre just is plain bugger, and just as coarse.--Wetman (talk) 17:27, 15 August 2010 (UTC)
As some of you are probably aware, there was a fire yesterday in the parking garage beneath the Place Vendome. Can we add information about it to this page, or should we wait for further details? Thanks. Alphateam7911 (talk) 13:05, 9 March 2012 (UTC)
- Except if this fire destroyed large parts of the Place Vendome or killed a lot of people, I don't think this kind of information has any kind of relevance WP:EVENT. DITWIN GRIM (talk) 13:36, 9 March 2012 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Place Vendôme. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20041204211941/http://www.oldandsold.com/articles03/paris2.shtml to http://www.oldandsold.com/articles03/paris2.shtml
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.