From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Metalworking (Rated C-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Metalworking, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Metalworking on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.

Old discussions[edit]

Wow, I had no idea the request would be fulfilled so quickly. Good job guys, not I'll have to come up with a picture :) Dori | Talk 23:09, Mar 31, 2004 (UTC)

I took a picture of the cleanest pair I had, but it's still not that good so if someone can find a better pic please do so. Dori | Talk 23:19, Mar 31, 2004 (UTC)

Not sure why theres a pic of needle nose pliers on the pliers page and not on the needle nose pliers page. I'll just copy it over. KeepOnTruckin 15:13, 6 July 2006 (UTC)

I am considering adding a listing here for "wrench Pliers", which have been recently introduced. I personally own a pair and can post a picture if necessary. Basically, they are built like a standard pair of adjustable pliers, similar to Channel locks or the Knipex brand Cobra pliers, but instead of having rough jaws for gripping, they have smooth jaws made specifically for turning nuts and bolts without marring them. If anyone feels this should not be included please let me know, and I will not add it. Otherwise, I will check back in a few days and add the information. --Antjon1 15:06, 8 August 2006 (UTC)

Why not? I've never heard of this kind, but pliers specifically made for turing bolts would be great for me. KeepOnTruckin 00:38, 9 August 2006 (UTC)高手

Long-nose pliers[edit]

Finally found a page I could link to: shows the actual difference between needle-nose and long-nose pliers. Because it's a commercial site, I can't use it as a reference in the article. I will however refer to it in this discussion about the article, since people have been continuously fighting against the expansion of knowledge in the article.Tom strom (talk) 10:22, 29 January 2010 (UTC)

Oh the irony, found another link that explains the difference and the site is blacklisted. Google this comment to find the source "Lineman's pliers are great for pulling and twisting wires; long-nose and their smaller cousin needle-nose pliers are ideal for working in confined spaces, jewelry making, and electrical work."Tom strom (talk) 10:18, 29 January 2010 (UTC)

Someone keeps removing my edits, INCLUDING reference sources, which show the actual difference between "real" needle nose pliers and the sturdier long-nose pliers. This appears to be an attempt to "dumb down" the language by making things more generic, to the point that eventually nobody will know the difference between any specialized tools. The problem appears to be that the meaning of "needle nose" was lost to ignorance prior to the invention of the internet. My reference source was from 1999, how far would you like me to go back?Tom strom (talk) 10:07, 29 January 2010 (UTC) —Preceding unsigned comment added by Tom strom (talkcontribs) 10:00, 29 January 2010 (UTC)

I've been undoing your edits because you haven't been supplying reliable sources. It has nothing to do with how old or new the reference is. Please use a book, newspaper, journal, or reliable website to reference your information. It has nothing to do with "dumbing down" the page. Wizard191 (talk) 14:16, 29 January 2010 (UTC)

what have you done with crimping pliers i mean come on what kind of unmentionable will remove crimping pliers? the whole section? — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 07:49, 17 July 2012 (UTC)

Reverse action pliers i.e. circlip pliers.[edit]

This is a good article. In the DESIGN section, a short descriptive addition needs to be made about reverse action pliers, which are the kind where the jaws spread apart instead of coming together when the handles are squeezed. They are a required standard tool used for removing the snap rings (circlips) and roller chain master link retaining clips encountered in a great variety of modern machines, including most automobile engines and transmission gear boxes, motorcycle drive chains, and automotive differential gear axle assemblies. Something like: "Some applications require pliers of a reverse design where the jaws move apart instead of coming together when the handles are squeezed in the normal fashion. Applications where this kind of reverse plier are needed are those where a great deal of force is needed to push things apart, such as opening circular snap rings to remove them from the annular grooves they rest in on shafts, spreading piston rings to remove them from automobile engine pistons, and removing roller chain master link retaining clips, to name just a few." Linstrum (talk) 08:23, 26 November 2013 (UTC)