- The following discussion is an archived discussion of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.
The result of the move request was no consensus to move. –Juliancolton | Talk 02:25, 12 September 2009 (UTC)
Red-fronted Parrot → Jardine's Parrot — To the popular name of this parrot. The species has a very popular name of "Jardine's Parrot", which has been the stable name of this article since the page was started in 2006. If there is no consensus supporting the new name, then the page move should be reverted.Snowman (talk) 12:11, 4 September 2009 (UTC)
- Note: After a long discussion at Wikiproject birds a motion was passed 10 to 2 that the IOC name "should be the default position, and that in the cases of no consensus, the name should be at IOC name (that is, for a species to remain at a non-IOC name, there has to be a clear consensus)". This is in line with Wikipedia:Naming conventions (fauna)#Article title that "If the article is about an animal belonging to a group where Wikipedia editors have agreed on a standard for choosing among two or more common names, follow that standard". -- Kim van der Linde at venus 14:19, 4 September 2009 (UTC)
- The above motion was passed after the discussion about exceptions was derailing the whole process, and therefore supersedes the contested discussion. The motion specifically statetd to move first, and see after wards if tehre is a consensius to deviate from the IOC name. -- Kim van der Linde at venus 15:07, 4 September 2009 (UTC)
- To me this general strategy is not in line with wiki conventions of changing page name only when there is a consensus. This was a controversial page move and specifically contested and I think that it should have been discussed on this page first. Snowman (talk) 15:50, 4 September 2009 (UTC)
- Then I suggest that you take action to overturn the WP:BIRD motion by filing a RFC on that, as the consensus by wikiprojects on this are explicitly mentioned as the norm for naming within wikiprojects at Wikipedia:Naming conventions (fauna)#Article title. -- Kim van der Linde at venus 15:58, 4 September 2009 (UTC)
- IOC-names.-- Kim van der Linde at venus 14:19, 4 September 2009 (UTC)
- no. usual reasons. Sabine's Sunbird talk 19:20, 4 September 2009 (UTC)
- happy with IOC name. Maias (talk) 00:00, 5 September 2009 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.