Talk:Relative articulation

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Is there a way to signify "protruding" roundedness versus "compressed" roundedness? For the "compressed /w/", Im using [βˠ] as the close transcription. Is there a better way, so can keep the ‹w› letter for better visual recognition? Haldrik (talk) 07:05, 16 March 2011 (UTC)

AFAIK no, only a bunch of ad hoc remedies like yours. — kwami (talk) 08:09, 16 March 2011 (UTC)


Should this sentence be in the article? "In General American English, the /t/ in the word eighth is farther front than normal, due to assimilation with the interdental consonant /θ/, and may be transcribed as [eɪt̟θ]." I ask because I'm a speaker of General American English, living in an urban area in the middle-Atlantic United States, and I've never noticed anyone having a /t/ in "eighth". I see that Merriam Webster provides pronunciations both with and without, but I'm looking for verification. I figure that if it was there in some people's speech, I might have noticed it at least since the time I noticed that some people do have a /ð/ in "clothes". —Largo Plazo (talk) 19:49, 22 May 2015 (UTC)