Talk:Reverend Gary Davis
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Reverend Gary Davis article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|Reverend Gary Davis was a Music good articles nominee, but did not meet the good article criteria at the time. There are suggestions below for improving the article. Once these issues have been addressed, the article can be renominated. Editors may also seek a reassessment of the decision if they believe there was a mistake.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
I think that there should be an article on the first "world citizen" Gary Davis, bomber pilot during World War II. I'll be looking to add to the page.
- Feel free to make one. I suggest calling it Gary Davis (bomber pilot), and removing the redirect to this page, and making the Gary Davis page a disambiguation page -- TimNelson 05:37, 30 May 2007 (UTC)
Many Great Students, but not Jorma
The Rev. Gary Davis had many famous students, and influenced many more, But Jorma Kaukonen was a member of the latter group, not the former.
It was Jorma's roommate at Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio-- Ian Buchannon -- who actually took the lessons from the Blind Reverend; Kaukonnen, in turn, learned from Buchannon. In Jorma's own words (at least according to a 2000 Cincinatti Enquirer article ):
“Ian was a student of the Rev's (Rev. Gary Davis). We lived in this house together, and it occurred to me much later that my playing was probably so obnoxious that, out of pure self-defense, he just took me under his wing. And I pretty much quit going to classes the next quarter and played eight hours a day.”
For more infromation on other students of The Reverend, see a brief webpage I knocked together one Saturday morning at 
--184.108.40.206 04:41, 2 June 2006 (UTC)
I'm sorry to break this to you, but this article needs alot of work before it can be considered a Good Article.
- The main thing here that immediately makes it fail is its length. This article needs much expansion, as the current article body looks like it could be substituted for the lead. Expand, expand, expand!
- Get some more sources. That will help your expansion work, and make the article more credible.
- Once some expansion is completed, take those sources that you have, and make inline citations.
Music Theory statement
Why the statement, "(such as a root position chord which he informed was an "F sharp diminished 7th", illustrating his knowledge of theory.)"?
It serves no purpose in the article-most guitarists worth their salt know what an "F sharp diminished 7th" is. I've removed it for the time being.
By including "Reverend" in the title, does this article violate the guideline at Wikipedia:Manual of Style (biographies)#Honorific prefixes? --Bejnar (talk) 03:27, 26 March 2010 (UTC)
- In my view, he falls into this category: "In the cases of certain historic persons, an honorific is so commonly attached to their names that it should be included." Most (though I admit not all) of the refs to him are of Reverend (or Rev.) Gary Davis, his website is named http://www.revgarydavis.com/ , and so on. Ghmyrtle (talk) 11:29, 26 March 2010 (UTC)
I've expanded and reformatted the discography, and will add footnotes regarding sources for it. I haven't included the more recent releases and am hoping someone will add those. There are some well-known releases (such as Gospel, Blues and Street Songs) that are not listed separately, but instead as re-release notes under their original titles (in this case, American Street Songs). I debated how to handle this, and if someone feels like it's important to add the re-releases as separate entries, see Pure Religion! as an example. Chuckiesdad/Talk/Contribs 23:09, 28 November 2010 (UTC)
The juxtaposition of, "recorded live in spring 1976" in the discography with a date of death in 1972 is, at best, confusing. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 17:34, 13 January 2014 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Reverend Gary Davis. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110117092320/http://www.fieldrecorder.com/docs/store2010.htm to http://www.fieldrecorder.com/docs/store2010.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.