From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Volcanoes (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Volcanoes, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of volcanoes, volcanology, igneous petrology, and related subjects on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.
WikiProject Geology (Rated Start-class, High-importance)
WikiProject icon Rift is part of WikiProject Geology, an attempt at creating a standardized, informative, comprehensive and easy-to-use geology resource. If you would like to participate, you can choose to edit this article, or visit the project page for more information.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 High  This article has been rated as High-importance on the project's importance scale.

'Rift Valley' Merge[edit]

These two articles should be merged - - 02:42, 1 March 2006

I take it you are proposing to bring the contents of Rift Valley into this 'Rift (geology)' article. They don't mean exactly the same thing, so it's not clear that this merge should take place. A rift valley is a valley created by the formation of a rift.
Do any logged in users want to vote for/support this proposal? If nobody cares either way, we can have a slow discussion here, but in the meantime I suggest we remove the ugly 'merge' proposal message. I've linked to Rift Valley in the text, so that people are aware the other article exists.-- Nojer2 12:49, 12 April 2006 (UTC)
I agree with Nojer in that a geological rift and a rift valley are sufficiently different to warrant separate articles. I am removing the merge proposal because I can't see any pressing reason for a merge, and it's ugly. After all, we can always merge them later if a good reason emerges. -- Pyrofysh 10:44, 6 June 2006 (UTC)


Author may need to refer to passive margin development, extensional tectonics, etc...

To the authors above...a rift valley is more of a term used when discussing depositional environments. A rift system is a collection of rifts (i.e. the Eastern North American rift system..." Also, there is no such thing as a failed rift. Therefore a distinction between active rifting (places like East Africa) and paleo-rift basins( i.e. the Fundy rift basin, the Newark Basin) that were active in the past is important. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 00:42, 21 May 2009 (UTC)


If I made a mistake in the info or forgot to cite, please do it for me Robloxiscoolness (talk) 01:18, 4 May 2010 (UTC)

You expanded it. But no citations :s --Chris.urs-o (talk) 02:23, 4 May 2010 (UTC)

'Graben' Merge[edit]

While not asserting expertise in geology, it appears to me that the graben and this rift articles should be merged, probably to graben. Note similarity of illustrations, explanations, and examples in these articles.

- Leonard G. (talk) 03:03, 23 October 2012 (UTC)

The similarity is probably because this article is so bad and grabens are common in the normal faulting that occurs in extensional regimes that produce rifts. This does not mean that the rift itself is the same as one of the structure that develops as the rift is forming. -Fjozk (talk) 02:17, 24 October 2012 (UTC)
I started to tweak the definition and ended up adding a whole section on post-rift effects - I intend to continue this expansion with sections on 'Rift geometry', 'Mechanisms', Economic importance' at the very least. I removed 'chasm' as an alternative name for a rift, because I'd never heard of it and I could find very little on GoogleBooks of GoogleScholar to support that usage. Mikenorton (talk) 07:09, 26 October 2012 (UTC)

Accommodation zone v. transtension[edit]

Would someone please explain the difference between an "accommodation zone" in rifts and a "trans-extensional zone" in pull apart tectonic blocks? Is it just terminology or is their different structural significance ? Thank you. (talk) 16:07, 18 February 2013 (UTC)

Accommodation zones are formed whenever there is a major change in fault location or polarity (direction of dip) along the rift axis. The structures formed within the zone accommodate these changes as rifting proceed. They form even where the rift opens exactly perpendicular to the rift faults. In transtension, subsidence occurs along releasing bends on strike-slip faults (such as the Dead Sea), forming pull apart basins. Does that help at all? Mikenorton (talk) 23:23, 18 February 2013 (UTC)

Definition of Rift[edit]

The definition of a rift, as explained in this article, is "a linear zone where the Earth's crust and lithosphere are being pulled apart." I'm not terribly knowledgeable about geology, but my understanding from reading the article on the lithosphere is that the crust is contained within this definition, so a separation of the crust and the lithosphere doesn't seem to make too much sense. Perhaps this is intended to indicate a separation between the crust and the upper mantle? Furthermore, looking at the cited source, there is no mention of a separation between the crust and mantle or lithosphere. This needs to be clarified, either to correct the error, to clarify it with a proper citation, or perhaps simply to make the article more comprehensible to the layperson (after all, a trained geologist isn't the one who needs an encyclopedia article on rifts). Arathald (talk) 05:14, 19 August 2013 (UTC)