|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Roy Boehm article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Meeting with Kennedy
"Prior to the Bay of Pigs invasion, Boehm infiltrated Cuba on an intelligence-gathering mission and later helped train a cadre of Cuban ex-patriates in amphibious assaults to carry out the invasion. Afterward, he publicly criticized President John F Kennedy for losing his nerve in the Bay of Pigs disaster and calling off US air strikes, thereby exposing the Cuban insurgents to death and capture. Called into President Kennedy's office to explain his behavior, Boehm persuaded Kennedy to give him authority to create an elite Naval special forces unit."
- The above paragraph is so tainted that I am calling bullshit on the whole thing, except the part about infiltrating Cuba. "publicly criticized President.." wouldn't that be an Article 88 violation? "Boehm persuaded Kennedy..." Wrong. He was tasked by the naval chain of command, and met Kennedy AFTER the unit was formed. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 16:42, 9 July 2008 (UTC)
I no longer have my copy of Rogue Warrior, but have read it more times than I care to admit, and don't remember this part. This account also contradict's Boehm's own account in his autobiography. Boehm tells of a mission to Cuban waters where he was forbidden to set foot on Cuban soil. When the Wiki writer says "infiltrated" he may be thinking of Boehm's CIA sponsored assassination mission to the Dominican Republic. Boehm presents the meeting with Kennedy as taking place well after the formation of the unit had started, and includes Kennedy's cryptic remark "You'll make your number" which Boehm professes never to have figured out. The Wiki writer may be thinking of the change from a Presidential Priority Two to a Presidential Priority One, perhaps? I am calling "Poorly Cited." —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 19:57, 7 March 2008 (UTC)
He was never court martialed. Please stop reverting, substituting false for true. I'm not calling you a dumbass, simply saying you are wrong. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk)
- Full date of birth
- What is a "Presidential One Priority"
- Not 100% sure, listed in his Bio and it sounds damn important, I'd expect some sort of mandate to keep the admin types out of his way when building the unit
- What ships besides the Duncan did he serve on
- Worchester is the only other one I found.
- What did he do to earn the Air Medal, article says nothing about aviation duty
- Pure speculation on my part, but I'm assuming it might have had something to do with parachuting.--Mike - Μολὼν λαβέ 05:23, 24 January 2009 (UTC)
Presidential One Priority
- Sorry, didn't see it asked about above. I hate to say this because in my opinion, Google searches are given way too much weight here, but I don't see a lot mentioned except in specific reference to Roy Boehm. I'm sure he had very high priority with the President, but is it a made-up term? If so it should be removed out of respect for LCDR Boehm Proxy User (talk) 03:47, 8 March 2009 (UTC)