From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Rowing (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Rowing, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of rowing on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.

Scuba term?[edit]

By my instructor, the action of rotating your fins to slowly propel yourself is also called "sculling." I can't find that on the internet. Does anyone know this? (talk) 06:47, 25 February 2008 (UTC)

Scull tennis? Really?[edit] it possible that "scull tennis" is not a real activity but is someone's idea of a joke? Personally it doesn't seem very notable as an activity, even if it is true. The phrasing of this section also leads me to this conclusion. "St. Swithin's morn", indeed. I think a serious reference is needed here or the section should be removed. —Preceding unsigned comment added by SuW (talkcontribs) 03:37, 4 August 2008 (UTC)

Chinese name for a sculling oar is a yuloh[edit]

This is a long oar curving downwards into the water over the stern, and is moved back and forth by the operator.

The yuloh is pivoted at about a midpoint of it's length and held in place, so that the operator can move it back and forth and at the same time change the angle of attack of the blade in the water to give the most forward thrust.

The advantage of the yuloh is that the human input used on each foreward and backward stroke of the yuloh provides a 100% input vs. rowing, where only half of the stroke provides useful propulsion. The return stroke is work - lifting the oar out of the water and bringing it back to the starting point for the next power stroke - but provides no propulsion to the boat. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 18:35, 7 November 2008 (UTC)

Synonymous with "Chug"[edit]

I don't know about other countries, but in New Zealand, you'll frequently hear "SCULL SCULL SCULL" at a bar. Well, a student bar anyway. Can't find too many references though... Potassium-39 (talk) 10:03, 11 May 2010 (UTC)

What you hear them saying is not "scull" but the scandinavian "skål", which is the word used in Danish, Swedish and Norwegian for bringing out a toast. --Himbeerkuchen (talk) 07:30, 8 July 2011 (UTC)