Talk:Seven states of randomness

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Statistics (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon

This article is within the scope of the WikiProject Statistics, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of statistics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page or join the discussion.

Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the importance scale.
 
WikiProject Mathematics (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject Mathematics
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Mathematics, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Mathematics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Mathematics rating:
Start Class
Low Importance
 Field:  Probability and statistics

This article never gets around to saying what the seven states of randomness actually are. Could someone add that? Michael Hardy (talk) 03:51, 25 October 2010 (UTC)

The detailed definitions are actually online here. Feel free to summarize them in a section below the current text. I said a section below because they are probably too detailed for most Wikipedia readers, so there is no need to obscure the general ideas with them. The type of description that appeared in the Financial Times article is probably what 95% of Wikipedia readers want, and the other 5% can access the link above. History2007 (talk) 06:54, 31 October 2010 (UTC)

See if the article is clearer nowLbertolotti (talk) 20:58, 12 February 2014 (UTC)

Nice additions to the explanations and to the citations, thanks. --Mark viking (talk) 21:09, 12 February 2014 (UTC)

I was thinking of providing some graphs I've done with the R package, but I'm not sure of what's the proper way o submitting such images to wikipedia.Lbertolotti (talk) 14:53, 13 February 2014 (UTC)

Resolved

Mathematical technical section[edit]

For the mathematically inclined, in "Fractals and Scaling in Finance" (BM 1997) there's a whole chapter on this topic. Things that can be added: concentration in mode, concentration in probability, preGaussian asymptotic properties, stable domain of attraction, localized and delocalized moments, tail preservation criterion.Lbertolotti (talk) 00:18, 15 October 2014 (UTC)