- The following discussion is an archived debate of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.
The result of the debate was don't move. —Nightstallion (?) 20:55, 6 March 2006 (UTC)
Move. Is there any good reason for the parenthetical "disambiguation"? I've already changed Severn to redirect to here (it originally redirected to River Severn, but I changed the hatnote there to redirect to Severn River — instead of Severn (disambiguation) — which seems more appropriate).
-,-~R'lyehRising~-,- 00:38, 28 February 2006 (UTC)
- Oppose Yes, there is such a reason: the name Severn should refer; by redirect or otherwise, to its primary meaning: the River Severn. Septentrionalis 04:52, 28 February 2006 (UTC)
- However, it seems that "Severn" has various meanings. What about place names for Severn: (i.e., Severn, Ontario, Severn, North Carolina, etc.). Why should "River Severn" have priority over all the rest? If you live in Severn, Maryland, for example, you may not ever have heard of the River Severn in the UK (in fact, you may not even know about the other Severn's elsewhere).
BTW: I changed the hatnote in "River Servern" to Severn River (a disambiguation page) — the reason being that this seemed like the most logical disambiguation, since the issue is rivers. Restoring it to Severn (disambiguation) would put things back as they were, but it would seem to add a needless step toward finding the proper meaning of "Severn". Again I ask: why must "Severn" refer exclusively to "River Severn"?
-,-~R'lyehRising~-,- 19:18, 28 February 2006 (UTC)
- Something else comes to mind. If Severn is the primary meaning for River Severn, then shouldn't River Severn be moved there? The way things are now, the disambiguation is very sloppy. (BTW, I restored the hatnote in River Severn to direct to the Severn disambiguation page since Severn was recently reverted back to River Severn; otherwise the dab page would be inaccessible.)
-,-~R'lyehRising~-,- 23:56, 1 March 2006 (UTC)
- Oppose per Septentrionalis. River Severn is the primary meaning, so per standards, the disambiguation page is at Severn (disambiguation). I see no reason for it to be moved. └ UkPaolo/talk┐ 20:47, 3 March 2006 (UTC)
Just my two cents: Severn for me refers to Severn, North Carolina from which I named my metalcore band. Everything has multiple meanings, depending on the individual. Vega Lyrah 06:20, 4 April 2007 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the debate. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.