|Beiste (Glee) has been listed as one of the Media and drama good articles under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do so. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it.|
|WikiProject Television / Glee||(Rated GA-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Fictional characters||(Rated GA-class)|
How to handle the new revelation that Beiste suffers from gender dysphoria
I'm having a lot of trouble with the edits that have been made to the article, simply changing the pronouns from "she" to "he" and "her" to "him".
Up until the sixth season, the character Shannon was written and portrayed as a female. To retroactively take someone who hadn't been identified or diagnosed with gender dysphoria and do a gender pronoun reassignment prior to the actual discovery causes problems with the character arc.
I think this requires more thought and care in how we write about the character in the article; can we discuss how best to accomplish this while honoring both the character's past and present? While we're at it, it probably makes sense to decide what to do in the future, when the character (as seems inevitable) also changes from Shannon to a new name. BlueMoonset (talk) 01:43, 18 January 2015 (UTC)
- Yes, I agree. In real life, we would retroactively change the pronouns, but to do so with a fictional character implies they were always written as trans from the beginning and also that the audience knew this. Instead, the lead needs to make very clear when the character transitioned within the fiction, and use female/male prounouns accordingly, or avoid pronouns unless discussing the character post-transition. Sourced commentary about the character must retain whatever pronouns were used in the original source.Zythe (talk) 23:21, 18 January 2015 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Beiste (Glee). Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20111203011954/http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/11/The-Gay-Guide-to-iGleei-Season-Three-Episode-Seven-I-Kissed-a-Girl to http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/11/The-Gay-Guide-to-iGleei-Season-Three-Episode-Seven-I-Kissed-a-Girl
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110805174432/http://www.goldderby.com/cms/view/87 to http://www.goldderby.com/cms/view/87
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.