|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Extra appearance discovery
I think I see her cuddling a flyboy behind "Shorty" playing the piano in the "Eyes of Texas" USO scene in "Thirty Seconds over Tokyo" (1944). Does anyone else confirm this sighting, which is not listed in IMDB yet? GBS2 (talk) 02:15, 13 February 2014 (UTC)
Year of Passing
While her year of passing is listed just after her name as 2006, the first line of text appears to indicated she died in 1999. Can some one confirm the year of her death and correct the incorrect info? Zanshin (talk) —Preceding undated comment added 03:04, 31 October 2009 (UTC).
See http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182446,00.html for info about deathbed wedding.
Also, IMDB.com lists Gerry DeFord as her husband, 13 January 2006 - 14 January 2006 (her death)
220.127.116.11 04:56, 31 January 2006 (UTC)
"Somebody" keeps removing "legal wedding" and replacing it with "spiritual wedding." Fact: Sally Kirkland is an ordained minister. Fact: Papers where filed with the appropriate authorities. Fact: IMDB lists Gerry DeFord as her husband. Seems pretty clear to me. Jake b 19:35, 23 July 2006 (UTC)
I work with Sally Kirkland who performed the spiritual, not legal ceremony. She asked me to change it because although she IS an ordained minister, this was NOT a legal ceremony. Call Sally Kirkland if you doubt this. 323-650-2215 or see her website: http://www.sallykirkland.com/pages/bio.html
- Statement not supported. Website contains no information to support assertion wedding not legal. Jake b 02:56, 14 November 2006 (UTC)
Realize this is old, but for future reference... from Sally's official website:
Regarding the recent death of Sally's beloved Godmother, Shelley Winters:
Shortly before her death, Winters married long-time companion, Gerry DeFord, with whom she had lived for nineteen years. Sally, an ordained minister, performed a spiritual ... not legal wedding ceremony for the two at Winters's deathbed. Last rites for Winters were performed by a minister of the Movement of Spiritual Inner Awareness.
As well, IMBD is not an acceptable source for... anything. Like Wikipedia, information is edited by users--but, UNLIKE Wikipedia, is not monitored in the same way. --Somnilocus 17:15, 25 October 2007 (UTC)
Year of Birth
We mention sources for the alternative year 1922, but give no sources for 1920. Why is 1920 preferred over 1922? JackofOz 03:40, 27 January 2006 (UTC)
- Katz Encyclopedia, Thomson's Biographical Dictionary, Halliwell's Who's Who all indicate 1922. Only imdb suggests 1920. Will change the article.
- Philip Cross 05:21, 27 January 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks. I removed the POV bit of the footnote about IMDB "persisting" (presumably they have their reasons for saying 1920). I wasn't necessarily asking for this to be changed, I was asking for some evidence of her true birth year. Such as documentary evidence. Just because most other reference works agree on a particular year does not in itself prove that year is correct. Where different years have been published, in the absence of evidence who is to say which of them (if any at all) is correct? Cheers JackofOz 05:44, 27 January 2006 (UTC)
- But most things have to be taken on trust, one assumes that the repute of the sources used to be sufficient most of the time. Three against one (or five counting the previously referenced obituaries) is crude admittedly, but all we are likely to have. Philip Cross 05:53, 27 January 2006 (UTC)
- Fair enough. Thanks. JackofOz 05:57, 27 January 2006 (UTC)
- She celebrated her 85th birthday last August and all obituaries/news reports listed her age at death as 85 (meaning 1920 year of birth). What is so hard to believe, actors lie about their age all the time!!
18.104.22.168 01:09, 3 February 2006 (UTC)
- Oh, that's very easy to believe. The film industry is all about perception, and where that differs from truth, truth suffers. One could write a huge book about the lies perpetrated about ages and dates of birth of actors over the years. It's not so much of a problem these days as people have become more educated about wanting proof of claims, and Wikipedia is here to "keep the bastards honest". But back when Shelley Winters was in her heyday, it was very common for actors' ages to be increased or decreased depending on what kind of image the studio wanted to project. There are also cases of stars having personal reasons for wanting the truth to be covered up - see Merle Oberon for example. Cheers JackofOz 01:44, 3 February 2006 (UTC)
Shelley herself said she became engaged to Paul Mayer at age 16 in 1941 <Shelley II - The Middle of My Century - Audiobook, read by the Author>. In her first autobiography, <Shelley, Also Known As Shirley>, she relates that she was on tour with "Meet the People" in Detroit and was a minor, chaperoned by Peggy Ryan's mother, when she met Mayer. She would have turned 17 that August. She and Mayer were married on January 1 1942. While performing in Rosalinda in 1942, she did a screen test for Harry Cohn at 20th Century Fox and lied about her age, saying she was 21. This is apparently the origin of the 1920 birthdate. Obviously the Fox lawyer checked, though, because when she signed her contract with Fox, she was told to bring her parents with her, and they were told she must be chaperoned when she came to Hollywood because she was a minor. All of this points to a birthdate of 1924. LottieStreeter (talk) 15:45, 15 June 2010 (UTC)
Where are mentions of her autobiographies?
Her initial autobiography, Shelley: Also Known as Shirley (1980), was how I became familiar with her. It was a bestseller. How is it not in here!? Taking suggestions for best placement within the article, at User talk:Lawikitejana ... Lawikitejana 06:45, 15 September 2006 (UTC)
Roommates with Marilyn Monroe in 1947(?)
It's known that Shelley Winters and Marilyn Monroe shared an apartment in Hollywood when they were both starting out as struggling actresses. Many sources refer to them living together in the late 40s, perhaps 1947. Can anyone provide more accurate dates? 22.214.171.124 (talk) 16:48, 28 July 2010 (UTC)Brad Watson, Miami, FL