From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Architecture (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Architecture, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Architecture on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's importance scale.

Pic and Buttlock[edit]

This page could do with a good picture or two. Maybe when I buy a digicam, I'll take some...

Also, does the term "buttlock" deserve its own page, or should it be introduced here?

--Slashme 11:21, 1 June 2006 (UTC)

soffited speakers[edit]

I encountered this term in a termite inspection, and think I understand what it meant in that context, but ran across the term "soffited speaker", apparently referring to mounting a speaker behind a grille in a wall or cabinet. So this article needs a bit of expansion... Andyvphil (talk) 14:36, 27 August 2008 (UTC)

soffited speakers: steradians[edit]

There are 4 Pi steradians in a complete sphere, so a wall should be 2 Pi steradians, and a wall-ceiling boundary should be Pi steradians. DMJ001 (talk) 23:10, 20 March 2013 (UTC)

The following discussion is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section. A summary of the conclusions reached follows.
The result of this discussion was to keep. SBaker43 (talk) 05:09, 6 March 2011 (UTC)

Merger proposal[edit]

I'm not an expert but I wonder if in the woodworking / carpentry domains (eg furniture making), soffit has taken on specific meanings that are not quite the same as the true architectural origin? If this is the case it might be better to keep the two separate? Just a thought. Anyone know? Geoff Riley —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 10:13, 22 December 2009 (UTC)

Is there a difference between a soffit and an eave? Since this page is longer, it would make sense to merge Eaves here. —Toby Bartels (talk) 09:16, 6 February 2009 (UTC)

See my comment below about an interior soffitt. Eave should be a separate article, and the exterior aspects should be over in that article. --DThomsen8 (talk) 13:39, 24 July 2009 (UTC)

Eaves and soffits are different. In carpentry there are a lot of very specific terms that may seem similar to people uninvolved in the profession. I would keep them separate. My only claim to expertise is I used to be a carpenter. When learning about all the specialized terms and parts of a structure these pages being merged would have made gaining the knowledge harder.Templeofreason —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 23:13, 1 September 2010 (UTC)


From a layman's perspective, merging the two would make sense. I know what an eave is and I had heard the term soffit a few times but even the dictionary here doesn't recognize it as a general term. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 23:26, 30 May 2009 (UTC)

I disagree. Soffit and Eaves are different things, and the difference is important. For example some HSE legislation refers to eaves height - this can be different to soffit height. However, I do think a link between the two definitions is useful. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Scoop55 (talkcontribs) 17:46, 29 June 2009 (UTC)

Soffitt inside[edit]

In the United States, the term soffitt is used for the filler above kitchen cabinets to the ceiling. Perhaps I will supply a photo. Also, is this spelled with one t or two?--DThomsen8 (talk) 13:37, 24 July 2009 (UTC)

I vote against merging soffit with eaves. I think they are different things and that soffits are the horizontal cover of an open eave. Eaves can be finished in a variety of ways or just left open. no tilde, sorry. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 21:27, 29 December 2010 (UTC)


Without having Support or Oppose labels, I understand the positions to be:

The discussion, while not strongly conclusive supports keep.
SBaker43 (talk) 05:09, 6 March 2011 (UTC)

The above discussion is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section.

Soffit of a pipe[edit]

In civil engineering, the soffit refers to the underside of a culvert or pipe (as opposed to an invert). I think it should be mentioned in the text, but I cannot find any useful links to this definition derivative. Robdb2 (talk) 19:53, 3 August 2009 (UTC)


There needs to be a discussion of the impact of soffits on biodiversity through reducing nesting habitats &c. Diomedea Exulans (talk) 09:57, 23 September 2010 (UTC)

Wider architectural use[edit]

Certainly in Australia, soffit is widely used by builders and architects to describe whatever is above, the underside of the roof, floor, ceiling, but not a false ceiling - the soffit is above it. I've never come across its use to describe the underside of eaves specifically.

Norm Crothers NormCrothers (talk) 02:55, 31 May 2012 (UTC)

Outdoor ceilings?[edit]

The article describes a soffit as a term for the "underside of any construction element". Does this include something as extensive as, say, the ceiling of an exposed porch? If not, there should be more delineation. -- Phyzome is Tim McCormack 02:42, 4 January 2015 (UTC)