Talk:St John Philby
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
I removed the sentence
The Philby's helped create the climate of chaos necessary to suppress the Hungarian uprising.
This may or may not be a fair assessment of the impact of the information that they passed to the Soviet Union, but appears to this largely uninformed reader to claim too much. Even though the sentence uses elastic terms such as "helped" and "climate", it still conveys the impression that there was a straight line of cause and effect from one event to the other. In addition, was a "climate of chaos" really "necessary" for Khruschev to send tanks into Hungary? Rather than try to fix it, I deleted it. Perhaps someone else might want to rework it to state "the Soviet Union took advantage of the international climate of chaos produced by this failed seizure to suppress the Hungarian uprising", but I don't have enough confidence in that statement to make it myself.
- This article is far from complete; I intend to rewrite the entire Kim Philby page to show the relationship between father and son. As of now, little is known of Jack Philby's activities in his later years of life, and that sentence (which true is directed more toward Kim, is really lifted from John Loftus's book chapter entitled Revenge of the Philby's). Only in recent years have efforts been made to write about activities of both father & son which appear to have some common parellal and purpose. Thx for input. Nobs 03:07, 7 May 2005 (UTC)
Several small additions
Having read the Monroe book and noted her sources, I have added a few brief comments but notably changed the nature of Philby's second "marital" relationship. As his "first" wife remained a practising Christian throughout her life and they were not divorced, the status is not clear, however under Islamic law, Rozy, the girl presented to him as a gift by Ibn Saud, became his wife when she gave birth to a son. This son, and the next, both died of illness early in their lives. Rozy had a third son, who survived and knew Kim Philby quite well.
What is not clear from the article is that Philby was regarded as a person unable to grasp the bigger picture throughout his career, whether in the English civil service, or when advising Ibn Saud. His refusal to accept the views of others was acknowledged by all, as was his fearful temper and bullying nature. I have used this background to reflect the transition to US influence in Saudi Arabia. It is a particularly narrow view as Ibn Saud really just went where the money was and the British had run out of money. This need for money sat behind Philby's idea of $20 million for settlement of Jews into Palestine.
His real fame (which he sought so desperately) was as an explorer and the article would be enhanced by a map showing his trips criss-crossing the region.
- St. John Philby is an interesting character; I would question the insertion of "unintentionally" undermined British influence, etc.; that insertion may radically alter the entire text, and may need proper sourcing. That he did undermine British influence there is no doubt, "unintentionally" is a more subjective motive assigned to him, that changes his whole life story. It is definitley debateable. Good edits! Thank you. nobs 16:43, 19 October 2005 (UTC)
The image Image:190523ar.gif, used in this article, is high resolution and not really appropriate for fair use. It is a map, and it seems possible to create a replacement using our own blank maps. Would anyone watching this article be interested in creating such an image? You would be praised in song and story forever, etc. I have no plans to delete the current image, but it could be deleted at some point in the future. Thanks. Chick Bowen 21:41, 15 February 2006 (UTC)
"...religion was simple and fundamental, and the law of the gun prevailed..."
This is a nice little quote, but where did it come from? Just curious.
Fair use rationale for Image:51EYG0NBPDL SS500 .jpg
Image:51EYG0NBPDL SS500 .jpg is being used on this article. I notice the image page specifies that the image is being used under fair use but there is no explanation or rationale as to why its use in this Wikipedia article constitutes fair use. In addition to the boilerplate fair use template, you must also write out on the image description page a specific explanation or rationale for why using this image in each article is consistent with fair use.
Please go to the image description page and edit it to include a fair use rationale. Using one of the templates at Wikipedia:Fair use rationale guideline is an easy way to insure that your image is in compliance with Wikipedia policy, but remember that you must complete the template. Do not simply insert a blank template on an image page.
If there is other fair use media, consider checking that you have specified the fair use rationale on the other images used on this page. Note that any fair use images uploaded after 4 May, 2006, and lacking such an explanation will be deleted one week after they have been uploaded, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you.
BetacommandBot 04:32, 27 October 2007 (UTC)
Please tell me nothing
I can imagine that if he lived through the 1950s, he would easily learn the wrongdoings of his son. Did it wear on his health, or did it make him feel a small sence of pride? If things were different, could he live longer?--126.96.36.199 (talk) 21:53, 19 September 2010 (UTC)
- Cheers for that. What the article did not but now does make clear is that Kim was exposed in 1963, and therefore he knew nothing about it. ♫ RichardWeiss talk contribs 18:45, 16 November 2015 (UTC)
We either call him a spy and ref that or we just link directly to intelligence officer. WE do not dab intelligence officer to spy. Seems clear enough to me. What is the problem? ♫ RichardWeiss talk contribs 16:34, 16 November 2015 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on St John Philby. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110927221002/http://www.rgs.org/NR/rdonlyres/C5962519-882A-4C67-803D-0037308C756D/0/GoldMedallists18322011.pdf to http://www.rgs.org/NR/rdonlyres/C5962519-882A-4C67-803D-0037308C756D/0/GoldMedallists18322011.pdf
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130819164113/http://www.rgs.org/HomePage.htm to http://www.rgs.org/HomePage.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.