Talk:Stark Raving Dad
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Stark Raving Dad article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|Stark Raving Dad is a featured article; it (or a previous version of it) has been identified as one of the best articles produced by the Wikipedia community. Even so, if you can update or improve it, please do so.|
|Stark Raving Dad is part of the The Simpsons (season 3) series, a good topic. This is identified as among the best series of articles produced by the Wikipedia community. If you can update or improve it, please do so.|
|This article appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page as Today's featured article on September 19, 2011.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
copied birthday song from snpp Linguisticsstud 10:05, 24 August 2006 (UTC)linguisticsstud 8/24/06 Is this 7F24 or 8F24?
"Mr. Burns calling Homer a "Free thinking anarchist" due to his wearing of a pink shirt, instead of a white shirt like everyone else, is an obvious reference to McCarthyism."
- We try to catch these things, but so many IPs add so much crap to the episode pages that one loses track. Some of these older episodes have ridiculous cultural references that make the silliest of connections. My favourite is one that said Bart of Darkness was based on Disturbia. -- Scorpion0422 03:39, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
It should be mentioned that The Simpson's appeared at the end of Michael Jackson's Black or White music video. Since the music video and this episode debuted very close to one another...maybe there was a contractual agreement that the Simpson's would appear in BoW if Jackson appeared in an episode. — Realist2 23:38, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
The article states that the actor is Michael Jackson. It explains why he wasn't credited, but I can't find any sources for this info. I put a CN and it was removed, with the explanation that it is explained - am I missing something? Luminifer (talk) 16:29, 18 April 2009 (UTC)
I don't get this either. The singing was done by Kipp Lennon and the talking by Hank Azaria, according to the article. Exactly what did Michael Jackson do? The Simpsons page also states Jackson did the voice. Which is it?
- It's quite simple. Kipp Lennon voiced Leon Kompowsky when he sang. Hank Azaria voiced him at the end when the character explained that he was actually a builder only pretending to be Michael Jackson. Every other line he speaks in the episode was performed by Michael Jackson. As for Luminifer's question, all of the information is reliably sourced to the DVD commentary and other articles which you can find at the bottom of the page in the "References" section. Gran2 21:22, 1 August 2009 (UTC)
Airs on Fox 07/05/2009
This episode is being reaired on Fox tonight (Sunday, July 05, 2009) to pay tribute to Michael Jackson's death. Worth a mention in the main article.
Edit: Nevermind. You people are quick. lol But a continuity question: Lisa wakes Bart up in bed and says it's 2 days away from her 8th birthday. That makes her 7. But I thought she was *always* 8 (and Bart 10) when the show preimiered. That means she de-aged for this episode. If anything, she should be coming up on her 9th birthday and then after the episode is over, goes back to being perpetually 8 again. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Macshill (talk • contribs) 00:18, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
Is Bart's song "Lisa, her teeth are big and green. Lisa, she smells like gas-o-line." a reference to the theme song of "The Bride on the River Kwai"? It could be added under "Cultural References" 18.104.22.168 (talk) 01:03, 11 April 2010 (UTC)
- It's to the tune of "Colonel Bogey March", a song made famous in Bridge on the River Kwai. I'd add it, but I can't find a reliable source for it. -- Scorpion0422 18:55, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
MJ not singing
I know Michael Jackson said his use of an impersonator to sing his lines was to fool his brothers, but I'm pretty sure the real reason is because of his record contract, which would have limited the circumstances under which he could sing commercially. -- Mwalcoff (talk) 00:43, 19 September 2011 (UTC)
- I'm not disagreeing with you. But, there isn't a source that says this. -- Scorpion0422 01:31, 19 September 2011 (UTC)
- At least a couple of characters in the episode do refer to him as "white". ("Put him in with the big white guy who thinks he's the little black guy.") The plain yellow characters in the show are supposed to be white. Zagalejo^^^ 04:18, 19 September 2011 (UTC)
- Probably a bit. Don't know if you've noticed, but white people aren't white.
Why no mention of plot's two core conceits?
Why no mention of the plot's two principal conceits? And whether MJ was hip to them, or they sailed straight over his head? To wit,
1. Michael Jackson was in fact a black man pretending to be a white man (hence the conceit of Leon Kompowsky seeking the "reverse"), and
2. Michael Jackson was in fact severely deluded with respect to his own identity (as is Leon Kompowsky).
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Stark Raving Dad. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Remembering%2BSimpsons%2Bdalliance%2Bwith%2BMichael%2BJackson/2024660/story.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090109220212/http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=20070726_180440_10392 to http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=20070726_180440_10392
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.