From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
WikiProject Agriculture (Rated Stub-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject iconThis article is within the scope of WikiProject Agriculture, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of agriculture on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Stub-Class article Stub  This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.


Surprisingly Wikipedia lacks an article for shocks of grain, etc. Instead, I came across this article for stook, a term which I've never even heard of. Shocking differs in that it was an earlier manual operation. An article describing the harvesting technique in the Ozarks can be found at The page should probably be expanded to include it. Red Harvest (talk) 06:06, 23 March 2015 (UTC)

Looking at the dictionary definition of "stook" it appears to be a British term. I'm not sure how widespread it is in North America or elsewhere. Shock seems to have wider currency on this side of the pond, even used for referring to a person's hair. But perhaps I am mistaken. Red Harvest (talk) 06:40, 23 March 2015 (UTC)
Re "perhaps mistaken", no, you are indeed correct. The words are synonymous, but "stook" is rarely used in the US. But in the UK and Canada, however, it has been more common. Quercus solaris (talk) 17:32, 12 June 2016 (UTC)