Talk:Surf's Up (film)
|This page was nominated for deletion on 6 Feb 2006. The result of the discussion was keep.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
There should be some mention of the movie North Shore http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093648/ because the plot is basically North Shore told through an interview perspective
Does anyone know why the subtitle is "A True Story"? Not that I don't believe in penguins or anything. Is it based on a famous surfer's story? Beagley 01:40, 29 September 2006 (UTC) Thats a joke!
As a joke, does it warrant being in the "Trivia" section of the article?--PigManDan 20:57, 24 October 2006 (UTC)
- Actually, the movie really is pretty much a remake of North Shore (film), but with penguins (and a chicken) :-). (My wife and I couldn't remember the name of the movie, and I told her I'm sure Wikipedia would have it, but it didn't). Adding it in now (be bold, 22.214.171.124!). --SB_Johnny | talk 23:49, 2 January 2009 (UTC)
Knockoff of Happy Feet
Isn't this just a knockoff of Happy Feet?
- Happy Feet is about tap-dancing penguins, Surf's Up is about surfing penguins... other than both films being about penguins, I don't see either as being a "knock-off" (My grammar seems a bit skewed in this reply because I'm half-asleep).--PigManDan 01:59, 3 November 2006 (UTC)
- It's a definite knock-off. Hollywood is riding the "Hey, they had a good idea about making a documentary about penguins so we should make more penguin movies" band wagon, and following the success of Happy Feet, someone else thought it'd be a good idea to make another penguin-based film. It happens all the time, and it makes me cry. Daramane 19:14, 3 April 2007 (UTC)
- Guys, that is insanely stupid logic. Calling it a rip off because penguins are the main focus is stupid. So I'd assume if a Dog movie came out in the future, it's automatically a rip off of 101 Dalmatians. I mean hey, they would both have dogs as the main focus.
- After the amazing coincidences of Antz/A bugs life, Shark Tale/Finding Nemo, and Madagascar/The Wild, it's not exactly unreasonable to get suspicious when two penguin themed CGI movies get released on top of each other. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 02:07, 11 December 2007 (UTC)
I can't even remember the last 101 Dalmations movie that anyone watched, but Happy Feet was released only a couple months ago. It seems like a ripoff because hey, there are 'flippin penguins.
7FlushSetzer 01:40, 26 June 2007 (UTC)
Its only two movies, Deep Impact and Armageddon were kind of similar too but both were pretty good, Happy Feet was slightly more reality based just as Deep Impact was; besides, its not as though it'll have a blair-witch-project-effect where you'll have to deal with a new penguin movie every year for 10 years--188.8.131.52 13:11, 2 September 2007 (UTC)
They actually make a reference to Happy Feet i can't remember if it's from the game or the movie but the cameraman asks cody "Do you have any other hobbies other then surfing?" in which Cody replies "What like singing and Dancing and stuff? no" KingRaven (>$.$)> (talk) 23:56, 25 September 2009 (UTC)
Needs a Disambiguation Page
I typed in Surfs Up to get the Beach Boys album and I got this instead. I don't really know how to make a disambiguation page. Does somebody want to do it? --SRSco 04:46, 22 May 2007 (UTC)
I'd like to second that request. I'm kind of annoyed to be honest, to be looking for one of the classic albums of all time and only find this knockoff film and no way of finding said album... 184.108.40.206 (talk) 01:55, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
How much money is this film making?
It would be nice if the article said how much money the film is making. It may not be as epic as Spiderman 3, Shrek the Third, or Pirates (all three articles say how much money the movie has made so far) but it would still be nice to know how successful the film is, considering it is Sony's second animated film attempt.
UPDATE: According to this link, it's made about 62.6 million dollars. Tis' a shame.
7FlushSetzer 01:41, 26 June 2007 (UTC)
Would Pen Gu Island be a reference to Pen Gu the TV show?--220.127.116.11 13:13, 2 September 2007 (UTC)
Species of Rob Machado
Someone keeps changing the species of Rob Machado to Emperor penguin on both the character list pages but isn't providing a reference to why, I think this may require a little research no matter how trivial the subject matter is. —Preceding unsigned comment added by EwanMclean2005 (talk • contribs) 20:44, 2 February 2008 (UTC)
The Film Making Process?
I think the process of how this film was made should be noted.
Things like how they had all the actors improvise all their lines to a loose outline to mimic an un-scripted documentary, to things like having cameramen use an actual camera hooked up to the computer to give that hand-held camera look. (sources could be from the dvd, or either these youtube accounts:   )
The movie has done some different things not usually seen in animation, and I think it should be added.
Featured Animals removal
Personally, I think it should be removed. The information given seems redundant and can easily be worked into the main page, and in particular, it's already on the "characters" page. It's unneeded, and I think the removal will only better the page. Starfig 22:49, 20 February 2008 (UTC)
- You have good point there, someone removed it already without discussing it, but I reverted it back because it had not yet been discussed, and it was only for this reason, should we take out the whole section and merge it into other areas of the article or just remove it altogether.EwanMclean2005 (talk) 21:13, 23 February 2008 (UTC)
There is a blatant discrepancy in the soundtrack section. It says "The following music can be found on Sony's official film soundtrack." and lists Green Day's Holiday on that list. Yet right below the list is the detailed explanation that Green Day's Holiday was omitted from the official soundtrack album. Both statements can not be correct. Can somebody who has access to the official soundtrack album verify and make the appropriate corrections. Wouldn't hurt to properly cite the source too. Thanks. --Fife Club (talk) 18:17, 17 December 2009 (UTC)
futile listing of Merchandise
What's the point of listing every merchandise-nonsense in an article about the film? It's futile and nothing but promotion for some commercial junk. IF ANY, all we need is a SHORT mentioning, that there was some merchandise (without a promotion-listing of every crappy piece)! --18.104.22.168 (talk) 03:54, 5 May 2010 (UTC)
- Every animated movie with a reasonable budget has loads of tie-ins and merch, ~which makes this list seem pointless. Even questionable if it needs to be mentioned at all. --22.214.171.124 (talk) 09:50, 18 June 2011 (UTC)
Hahaha. Who besides me remembers that hoax someone posted sometime in 2008 about a Surf's Up 2? And Lani was to become pregnant in it? I can't believe I actually fell for that.
- I don't think that is the final theatrical poster. The final poster usually contains a release date. Also, the final poster is usually shown at the film's premiere: http://movies.about.com/od/surfsup/ig/Surfs-Up-Premiere-Photos/index.01.htm ---Carniolus (talk) 15:21, 11 March 2013 (UTC)