Talk:Tack piano

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Move to "Honky-tonk piano"?[edit]

Should this be moved to Honky-tonk piano? It seems to me that a tack piano is a subset of honky-tonk pianos. A honky-tonk is basically a piano that is poorly maintained, out of tune, and has old hard hammers, or a piano that has been modified to sound like that. Putting tacks in the hammers is just one (horrible) way of doing that. Also, honky-tonk, in my experience, is the WP:COMMON NAME. (I had never heard of a tack piano before finding this article.) ~Adjwilley (talk) 03:06, 21 May 2013 (UTC)

  • Support --Ilovetopaint (talk) 03:21, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
  • Oppose. Just came to the article for the first time also. I wonder if this issue has got something to do with national traits? I'm English, and I always take "honky-tonk piano" to mean a piano part that's played in the honky-tonk [musical] style, just as "blues guitar" means playing guitar in the blues style (not a guitar that's built for the purpose). This article's about the musical instrument, of course. In that context, "tack piano" is the only term I ever hear or read about, aside from "jangle piano" now and again. JG66 (talk) 05:10, 31 May 2017 (UTC)
  • Oppose. A move would spread confusion instead of useful information. I don't think we can say that the tack piano is a subset of the honky-tonk piano. A tack piano is a piano modified to sound like a honky-tonk piano, not a real one. If someone should create a major article on honky-tonk pianos (and I see there is none; the Wikilink above is a redirect back to Tack piano), then maybe a merge could be considered. Even then, cross-referencing with "See also" would probably be best. --Alan W (talk) 06:00, 31 May 2017 (UTC)
  • Comment – The "old-timey piano" preset on most digital keyboards is usually named "honky-tonk" or "tack piano", and almost always sounds like a mixture of both. --Ilovetopaint (talk) 11:54, 26 April 2018 (UTC)

add mention of mandolin rail?[edit]

It seems like the mandolin rail (or mandolin attachment) should be mentioned here, since it achieves an effect similar to that of a tack piano without actually having to jam tacks into the hammers and damage the piano. Well designed mandolin rails will easily lift in and out of place on an upright piano allowing both styles of play. It's a pretty nifty piece of equipment. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 00:14, 12 July 2018 (UTC)