Talk:Tertiary education

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Education (Rated Start-class, High-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Education, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of education and education-related topics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 High  This article has been rated as High-importance on the project's importance scale.


I have seen some inaccurate information on worldwide educational attainment at the tertiary level (the figure in circulation appears to be that 1% of adults worldwide have a college degree -- a figure which is far too low). For those interested in doing research on the subject, reliable data on attainment from 2000, plus historical data, is available at -- (talk) 15:05, 3 June 2008 (UTC)


In the UK, tertiary education refers to the study equivilent to Advanced or Advanced subsidiary Level (i.e. college). University study upto undergraduate level is quaternary. A Quaternary education in the UK, therefore is postgraduate study. In the UK, studying for a doctoral qualification is considered a job, as is postdoctoral work.

This section appears to contradict itself. Is undergrad study considered tertiary or quaternary? (I always thought it was tertiary myself...) ::Supergolden:: 19:32, 19 March 2006 (UTC)

{{copyedit}} {{Disputed}}[edit]

This is all a bit embarrassing; an article on tertiary education is poorly written and inaccurate. For terminology, see Talk:Postgraduate education, where it's pointed out (with evidence) that this use of "tertiary"/"quaternary" is peculiar and rare (at best).The standard usage in the U.K. is that "tertiary" refers to "post-secondary", and that this is divided into non-degree (usually vocational) education, undergraduate education, and postgraduate or graduate education. I'm not an expert on the rest of the world's educational systems, but the term "quaternary education" is extremely rare in general, and when it is used seems to refer to some very specific approach to part of postgraduate education. --Mel Etitis (Μελ Ετητης) 08:58, 3 April 2006 (UTC)

For uses of "tertiary education" to mean all education past secondary – Colleges of F.E., undergraduate courses, graduate courses, etc. – see Australia, Mauritius, new Zealand, Trinidad & Tobago, the [1], theWorld Bank, and this journal). --Mel Etitis (Μελ Ετητης) 10:38, 15 April 2006 (UTC)

Transition from a secondary education into tertiary study[edit]

I propose the entire paragraph / section on "Transition from a secondary education into a tertiary study" be removed or drastically rewritten. The current content in that section is subjective, consisting mostly of the writer's opinion and/or generalizations (I could argue with many of the points presented). The lone citation links to letter from an undergraduate seeking advice (seriously).

I'm new to editing Wikipedia pages and I am by no means an expert in Education (though I can claim a bit of subject matter knowledge, I suppose). I tried simply deleting this paragraph (and citing the reason), but someone reverted it, so I'm posting my thoughts here instead. I'm not going to argue my point, but does anyone have objections to my deleting the paragraph or does anyone see any value in keeping it?

Traci19087 (talk) 09:06, 27 May 2012 (UTC)

I agree, the section should be deleted. Phlar (talk) 23:43, 9 July 2013 (UTC)
Deleting. 8ty3hree (talk) 00:57, 19 December 2014 (UTC)

In the United Kingdom[edit]

An early example of this which expanded in September 1982 as part of a reorganization of education in the Halesowen area which also saw three-tier education axed after just 10 years in force.

Try as I might, I cannot make sense of this sentence. I hope someone who understands the topic of this section will clean it up. Phlar (talk) 23:47, 9 July 2013 (UTC)