Talk:The Power of Madonna
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the The Power of Madonna article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|The Power of Madonna has been listed as one of the Media and drama good articles under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do so. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
In the lead it says that the episode makes covers of 10 of Madonna's songs, but the list of songs in the infobox only lists 7 (8 if you count the mash-up as 2 songs). This is further increased to 9 if you include the bonus track "Burning Up" on the EP. Nevertheless, this does not equal 10.--Coin945 (talk) 08:10, 2 April 2010 (UTC)
- There's a quote from Murphy in the article saying they're doing 10 songs. As it is, the only ones we currently know the titles of are the ones to be released on the EP. Presumably there are a few more minor performances that haven't made the soundtrack, whose titles we'll learn when the episode airs. Frickative 12:19, 2 April 2010 (UTC)
Plot (proposed fixes)
(I propose a better one - I will put it in but I know there are likely to be issues (I'm still learning) so here it is for editing or to help me learn.)
Cheerios coach Sue Sylvester kicks off the episode by praising Madonna's powerful example and asking her Cheerios to emulate Madonna (including by dating younger men and using their first names only). As part of her blackmail of Principal Figgins Madonna tunes blast through the school intercom, except in Emma Pillsbury's office. Will Schuester sees the Cheerios performing (Madonna song title needed) and overhears the girls in the club discussing difficulties they are having in relationships and life. He is inspired to declare a Madonna-only week to restore the girls to equal status.
The girls sing "Express Yourself" while the guys roll their eyes. Rachel and Finn do a mash-up of "Borderline/Open Your Heart" that also recaps issues in their relationship. A music-video cover of "Vogue" starring Sue in the Madonna role and also featuring Kurt and Mercedes is intended as a makeover, but it does not succeed. Rachel admits to Finn that she's still seeing Jesse but asks him to keep that a secret. Three people decide to have sex for the first time and with their chosen partners (Finn+Santana, Rachel+Jesse, and Emma+Will) they sing "Like a Virgin"; the others decide not to go ahead, but Finn and Santana have sex and later he hides this from Rachel because "it meant nothing".
Meanwhile, Jesse surprises Rachel and New Directions by transferring to MKHS so that he and Rachel can be together. There is resistance from the group because this will mean even fewer solos. Kurt and Mercedes also join the Cheerios and perform "4 Minutes" with them; they tell Mr. Schuester that they will be in both groups. The boys sing "What It Feels Like For A Girl" although Puck hopes they won't have to do this in public. They decide to treat the girls better and Artie in particular apologizes to Tina and they kiss for the first time since their fight about Tina's stutter. The episode ends with Finn welcoming Jesse and the entire club singing "Like A Prayer" backed by a gospel choir.
- Actually, per WP:MOSTV, the plot summary is verifiable by watching the episode in question. Only contentious points require citations, and I don't think there are any here. I've added an external link to the Fox episode recap, though.
- Great job on the summary, Juliannechat. I've done a little copy-editing of it in the main article, so I'll just explain my changes here:
- A good rule of thumb for writing plot summaries is to assume your reader has never seen the show before. I often forget to do this myself, but it means just making small changes, such as referring to Sue as a cheerleading coach on first mention, rather than the Cheerios coach. An unfamiliar reader will know what the former is, but the latter could be confusing! You don't have to go overboard with explaining all the backstory, but including little details such as a link back to "Sectionals" when mentioning the blackmail plot, introducing Will as the glee club director, Emma as guidance counsellor etc. can be helpful.
- If a character hasn't already been mentioned in the article, then wikilink their article and include the actor's name in brackets beside them, eg: "Continuing her blackmail of Principal Figgins (Iqbal Theba)..."
- Try to avoid anything that could potentially be a matter of opinion, rather than indisputable fact that anyone watching the episode would observe, for instance saying that the Rachel/Finn mash-up recaps issues in their relationship.
- That's pretty much it everything - good work, and I hope that was helpful! Frickative 13:06, 21 April 2010 (UTC)
The date formatting needs to be consistent in this article. Use the yyyy-mm-dd as this is what is being used in all the Wikiproject Madonna articles. Anyone willing to take the initiative? --Legolas (talk2me) 12:35, 22 April 2010 (UTC)
- Oops, most of the inconsistency at present is my fault, sorry. The cite tool in the toolbox autoformats access dates in the British dmy style, which conflicts with the published dates in the US mdy style. I will format them for consistency, but using ymd format would throw the article out of sync with the other Glee articles, which use mdy. Frickative 13:04, 22 April 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, this seems to happen most weeks for some reason. (I can't pretend to understand why, being from the UK where the overnight/final ratings are usually released a week apart). An initial figure will be released, which will then be adjusted somewhat a few hours later. In this instance it was adjusted down, as noted in the source used in the article . Frickative 19:57, 22 April 2010 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on The Power of Madonna. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
An editor has reviewed this edit and fixed any errors that were found.