Talk:Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Since Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Do You Know Where You're Going To? (Theme from Mahogany) (Mariah Carey song) ended in "no consensus", I've performed a "test" merge of the two pages at Talk:Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)/temp, to see what the resulting article would look like if Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To) and Do You Know Where You're Going To? (Theme from Mahogany) (Mariah Carey recording) were to be merged. Extraordinary Machine 02:06, 6 November 2005 (UTC)
- Not sure about the double-infobox thing. Agree that the articles should be merged. Jkelly 02:32, 6 November 2005 (UTC)
- Did a revision of the article. We might have to start killing those band templates (meaning all of them, including the one I made for The Jackson 5), because this is a prime example of how they can be a problem. The article is a bout a Diana Ross song that Carey almost covered as full-release single...but it's got that Big Bertha Mariah Carey template sitting at the bottom. The same problem exists at Michael Jackson as well, and at I'll Be There. --FuriousFreddy 03:18, 6 November 2005 (UTC)
- Agree with you about the band templates. They should either be condensed to mention only the artists' most well-known songs, or removed entirely (I'd lean towards the latter, as they're so bulky). They could just be replaced by links to the artists' discography articles in a "See also" section. You're also right (about what you said on my talk page) in that if all the encyclopedic information on a number-one song for two artists can fit into one article (at I'll Be There and others), then there's no use having a separate article on a cover of the song that wasn't even given a full release. Extraordinary Machine 13:08, 6 November 2005 (UTC)
- Okay, I've now performed the merge. Extraordinary Machine 23:19, 25 November 2005 (UTC)
These need sourcing.
The chorus of "Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)" is sung by Slick Rick at the end of his song "Teenage Love" from the album The Great Adventures of Slick Rick. The single went to #8 on the Billboard Hot Rap Singles Chart in 1988. The chorus is also used in the songs "Life" by Chubb Rock, "Do You Know" by Erick Sermon, and "Do You Know" by Puff Daddy. In the 1993 episode "Rosebud" of the animated series The Simpsons the chorus is played during a slide show of scenes from Mr. Burns's life. In an episode of Everybody Hates Chris when Chris lies to his mother about having a good math grade, she shows up at his math class. Fearing his death, his life flashes before his eyes; the song plays during this sequence. The song also features heavily in the Bobcat Goldthwait film God Bless America, being the song sung very poorly by an American Idol contestant who attempts suicide as a publicity stunt - part of the unraveling social commentary of the film.
Dutch singer Patricia Paay recorded the song in 1995 for her movie song album, Time Of My Life.
French singer Nicole Rieu recorded the song with French lyrics in 1976 ("En courant").
Christian singer tobyMac recorded the chorus of the song called "Do You Know" from his 2001 album Momentum.
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To). Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20160304073424/http://22.214.171.124/archives/70s_files/1976.html to http://126.96.36.199/archives/70s_files/1976.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20141021102718/http://188.8.131.52/archives/70s_files/1976YESP.html to http://184.108.40.206/archives/70s_files/1976YESP.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.