Talk:Thermal fluids

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Physics / Fluid Dynamics  (Rated Stub-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Physics, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Physics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Stub-Class article Stub  This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.
This article is supported by Fluid Dynamics Taskforce.

Hello Wikingers

I became interested in the subject Thermofluid after I took my first Thermography in Frankfurt University. Thermography is basically the same as a XRay of picture is taken. And the difference is that It is not with thermo (heat-cold) related.

Thermography is taken after you drink a fluid mixture to bring contrast to your inner organs so that it is better to see and analization is better. The drink covers basically the first layers of your organs.

The second part of taking a Thermography is when you become a injection of a Thermofluid which is injected a few seconds into your body (like getting a vaccine) before the actualle pictures are taken. This enjection is to bring out contrast in the artery areas of the inner organs. You can even feel at the momment of injection how your body becomes for a few seconds temperator change. Mostly Hot. Then the graphic would at these momments be taken.

Thermography is used in some cases of Stomach, Liver, Nieren, Intestence, problems were they can not be analized in a more conventional way.

--Blues Penguin 10:27, 26 Mar 2005 (UTC)

Liquids are incompressible[edit]

Deleted this sentence:

Generally fluids are incompressible and so thermofluids is the study of fluids when they are being applied in applications.

Fluids includes gases, which are quite compressible.

This seems redundant to me: "being applied in applications".

It seems to me that the word is a contraction of "thermodynamics and fluid mechanics", the latter of which encompasses fluid dynamics and fluid statics.

Added mention that phase-change, etc., can be important, too. -- Ac44ck 22:35, 19 September 2007 (UTC)

Name change needed discussion[edit]

About the name of the article being changed from "Thermofluids" to "Thermal Fluids:"

  • The change was made without discussion. There was no consensus for the name change.
  • No substantiation was given for the claim that "thermofluids" is an outdated term. A Google search reveals that the term is still in use.
  • The term "thermal fluids" is ambiguous. When I hear the term, my first thought is "heat transfer fluid," not an area of science.
  • "Thermal fluid" and "heat transfer fluid" are often synonyms according to this Google search:
  • The syntax places the "heat" aspects of the discipline in a adjectival, secondary role; "fluids" appears to be the only noun. The term "thermofluids" is a noun.
  • "Thermal," with an 'a', is less allusory to the "thermo," with an 'o', in "thermodynamics."
  • Other results from Google:
Seven of the first ten results are for the scientific discipline.
Seven of the first ten results are for heat transfer fluids.

Please restore the name of the article to "Thermofluids" unless and until there is a consensus to change it. - Ac44ck (talk) 09:27, 15 January 2011 (UTC)

Regarding the name of the article and alternate spellings[edit]

I think it should be considered adding the alternate spelling (which is used at least in Canadian Universities) of 'Thermofluids'.

Thermal Fluids just sounds strange. It implies (to me) that there are fluids that are 'thermal' and those that are not. We dont say "thermal dynamics" and likewise this wording just sounds off.

There is also no references regarding the name or its origin; its simply stated that thats what it is.

I have a graduate degree in 'Thermofluids' and I personally have never seen the term 'thermal fluids' and even after googling its hard to find the expression written as such. Either the 'alternate' name should be added or switched completely.

Dazalc (talk) 21:34, 12 August 2014 (UTC)