Talk:Timeline of the presidency of Barack Obama (2012)
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Timeline of the presidency of Barack Obama (2012) article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Timelines 2009, 2010 and 2011
This article is an extension of the Timeline of the Presidency of Barack Obama (2009), (2010) and (2011). Over the past three years the original articles have been edited with brevity and clarity as the guiding precepts. The following (What to include) were some tips from the very beginning that have seemed to work to keep the articles "grounded". --Buster Seven Talk 20:01, 29 December 2010 (UTC)
What to include
During the AfD discussion in 2008 there were worries brought up about the content of the evolving articles. As this should be decided here rather than there, I thought I'd give a quick stab at trying to lay out what is suitable info to add and what is not. Please feel free to add or subtract how you see fit. Joshdboz (talk) 11:50, 28 December 2010 (UTC)
Things NOT to Include
- Routine activities (calls, meetings, weekly addresses, trips to Capitol Hill, etc)
- Unremarkable ceremonies (obscure legislation/executive orders, obscure nominations/speeches/announcements, etc)
- When in doubt, many items can be judged by how much coverage they generate (breadth and depth).
Things TO include
- Firsts (presidential orders, Predator-drone attack, etc) - obviously this means it will be somewhat frontloaded
- Major speeches
- Signings of major pieces of legislation
- Foreign trips/Major diplomatic meetings
- Other major events by administration personnel (resignations, major diplomacy (Cuba/Iran/DPRK...), etc)
Gay marriage endorsement
- Yes, probably. —Diiscool (talk) 00:04, 3 June 2012 (UTC)
The mention of the 104th round of golf implies something. I'm not sure what (probably too busy playing golf instead of running the country) and Im also not sure it is pertinent to the timeline or in keeping with the historic nature of what has been included. In the 3 year history of timeline articles, this quandry is the first. Thoughts? ```Buster Seven Talk 06:32, 5 August 2012 (UTC)
- I have removed this as it has no bearing on his presidency. It is a personal detail. If it had been a political stunt, as the golf game with Boehner was on June 18, 2011, that would be appropriate for addition to the Timeline. —Diiscool (talk) 13:05, 5 August 2012 (UTC)
- There appears to be a consensus of two editors against inclusion of reliably sourced content; it appears that those two editors believe that adding it here would be WP:UNDUEWEIGHT. Although I disagree with that opinion, and hope oneday that consensus changes, there are other places where my efforts on wikipedia can be better utilized.
- Please see WP:NOBLANKING--RightCowLeftCoast (talk) 17:47, 14 August 2012 (UTC)
Move discussion in progress
There is a move discussion in progress on Talk:Timeline of the Presidency of Barack Obama which affects this page. Please participate on that page and not in this talk page section. Thank you. —RMCD bot 17:32, 15 January 2013 (UTC)