Talk:Tourism in Italy
Compared to similar pages for Croatia and France, this article is a real letdown. I've done some work replacing some poor pictures, for example the 'Lungomare di Livorno' image slot is now taken up by the Duomo of Florence. To think that the caption for the Livorno picture mentioned that the Lungomare was built between 1800 and 1900, as if that were some sort of historic achievement for Italy.
In my opinion, this is what needs to be done:
1. Divide article by region. Some of the smaller ones do not need their own but the fact that Venice, Verona, Naples all have one line is quite embarrassing.
2. Better images. There are far too many neoclassical representations of tourist locations. With such a wealth of imagery, why settle for these? Let's see some shots of Venice, Roman sunsets, Umbrian villages, etc.
3. The tone is too informal and not helpful for someone who is planning a trip.
==Weak article==This article is crap
This is a very weak article, and probably should be deleted! The only way to improve it would be to write an essay on the sources of tourism in Italy, and the tourism industry: hotels, the APT, the Pro Loco's, government incentives, the training of tourism professionals, the rôle of the Assessorati alla Cultura in the various comuni, the central government's rôle, etc. Since no one wants to do this, the article has, so far, been essentially dead.
The article is not improved by links to Wikipedia articles about the various regions, nor, even less so, to external sites: among the things Wikipedia is not (see that page), is a link directory; and if links were to be inserted, it should be to the 20 regions. Bill 16:08, 3 August 2005 (UTC)
MrDolomite 22:05, 19 June 2006 (UTC) - Agreed, very weak article, and as such, has been proposed for deletion.
- Delete - odd, an anonymous IP, which only made a single edit, delisted this proposal for deletion. Being new, I don't want to start an edit war, but is it appropriate to repropose deletion? -- MrDolomite 04:27, 4 July 2006 (UTC)
I think that there should be a comparision of the tourist industries in the North and South of Italy and how they vary throughout the year depending on the weather and what resources are available. User:FredBloggs/FredBloggs 09:76, 6 September 2006 (UTC)
Take it easy, all it needs is a bit of adjusting!
I’ve removed these, none of which seemed close to passing WP:EL for this article:
- Point of Interest in Italy in mapper.it
- Italian agritourism
- Birdwatching in Italy: A Birdwatcher's guide to Italy [dead link]
- Italy Lifestyle project
It's not good
Reviving the Article
I think this article could be of interest to readers at large. If no one objects, I will begin revision. I intend to divide Italy by region and address the tourist highlights in each, supported by links to the official regional tourism pages. I am new to Wikipedia and open to advice and/or abuse. — Preceding unsigned comment added by P-Twist (talk • contribs) 03:00, 5 October 2011 (UTC)
There was a section on transport which I had added from Wikitravelsome time ago; nevertheless, I've removed it. Its tone was too informal (often direct, with 'you') and, in many ways, it didn't comply to Wikipedia's policies. It's tourist-like information, fit for a website such as Wikitravel, and catered to people interested in visiting the country; yet, in no way does that make it encyclopaedic. Unless anyone objects, I've taken it away.--&レア (talk) 21:30, 13 April 2012 (UTC)