Talk:Trauma plate

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Trauma pad[edit]

Trauma Pads are soft material pads placed behind the SAP (soft armor plates) to lower the trauma (impatct) of the bullet being stopped by the SAP. The article calls the ceramic plates 'trauma plates'- incorrectly. Common parlance for these inserts is HAP (Hard Armor Plates) -Asim Arun —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talkcontribs) on 11:47, 25 March 2007 (UTC)

While you are correct I'd like to point out that the mis-use of the word is widespread, it's a catch-all phrase. A more correct general usage of the term might be simply "insert plate", since not all insert plates are made from composite materials (such as "ceramic plates", but rather steel or combinations of steel and composite example). 12:35, 28 March 2007 (UTC)


Disagree. SAPI inserts are type of ceramic plate, but they are not the same. 01:28, 19 May 2007 (UTC)

I agree with the mergeFlubeca (t) 19:51, 29 May 2007 (UTC)

Sounds like a good idea Adoggz 19:37, 28 October 2007 (UTC)

Disagree with merge. Not the same thing. Tmaull 02:27, 12 November 2007 (UTC)

y NOT? most of 'Ceramic plate ' is about SAPI or ESAPI, no mention of earlier armor plates like Vietnam's aircrew or variable armor, police armor or of materials like AL2O3, SiC, B4C. article basically sucks —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 00:44, 27 July 2008 (UTC)

SAPI should not be merged wholesale with this article—Modular Tactical Vest shouldn't be merged with ballistic vest, or M16 rifle merged with assault rifle, after all—but some of its content should be merged or added here, like the info on the mechanism of effect and the composition of the plates themselves. I think the name of the article should be changed, too. Is "ceramic plate" a term used by the industry? "Hard ballistic insert" or "ballistic vest insert" or something like that would be more descriptive, though, of course, it isn't the place of Wikipedians to invent our own terms. (talk) 16:23, 13 December 2009 (UTC)

I was redirected here from HELP, after my page, which addresses this very conversation, was rejected, repeatedly. I have yet to have any of the editors reference my page in a manor that shows that they have even read it. I reference this page in mine and am fine with it standing as its own entity, as a lot more detail can be covered on the subject of ceramic plates, as a type of trauma plate/ballistic panel. Wikipedia_talk:Articles_for_creation/Trauma_Plate — Preceding unsigned comment added by Mtotin (talkcontribs) 01:14, 3 May 2012 (UTC)

Level III what?[edit]

"Most ceramic plates used in the body armor industry can protect against a NIJ level III and IV with a IIIA vest supporting."

I can perhaps guess what this is referring to but since this is an encyclopedia for "general readers", not specialists, it could be more specific IMO.

Is it supposed to mean something like this:

"When supported by a IIIA vest, most ceramic plates used in the body armor industry can protect against a NIJ level III or IV bullet impact."  ?? CBHA (talk) 13:25, 4 November 2008 (UTC)


The article fails to explain what the plates are made of, or how they are made. 'Ceramic' really isn't specific enough; it's not like one could use kitchen stoneware to equal results. ThuranX (talk) 16:14, 22 February 2009 (UTC) bende - bende mu nie

Can someone please do something here?[edit]

The ceramic plate page is very incomplete and even miss-informative. The page "trauma plate" redirects to this page leading people to think that the summary plates that are described, are all that exists as trauma plates, which is wrong. Ceramic plates are just one of many types of trauma plates. Ceramic plates can also serve as ballistic panels, as in the SAPI vest, also featured on this page. I have written a page for trauma plates, which not only takes care of this miss-information, but also references this ceramic plate page as it should be, or if anything the ceramic plate page should be merged with mine. However, my page keeps getting rejected by people who are obviously to "time crunched" to take the time to figure out what is going on and fix it. Any recommendations for who to contact to get this straightened out, would be greatly appreciated. Mtotin (talk) 03:07, 10 May 2012 (UTC)

You can write an article about trauma plates in general, and link to Ceramic plate as an example of it. It won't do to cut out the whole article and redirect it, because the history of the edits will not be maintained. If all of the information in Ceramic plate should be under Trauma plate then you have to move the whole thing using the correct procedure. ... discospinster talk 03:31, 14 May 2012 (UTC)

That is what I did at first, but my page got deleted. So I overwrote the ceramic plate page, hoping I could move my article to the proper name. That's where it is stuck now. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Mtotin (talkcontribs) 16:57, 17 May 2012 (UTC)

Requested move[edit]

The following discussion is an archived discussion of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

The result of the move request was: page moved -- JHunterJ (talk) 11:14, 24 May 2012 (UTC)

Ceramic plateTrauma plate – The ceramic plate article has been edited and expanded to encompass all forms and types of trauma plates. Given this, the page should be renamed. If further detail is needed, specifically about ceramic plates, it can be added to the ceramic sub-section of the materials section of the new article. Mtotin (talk) 02:51, 17 May 2012 (UTC)

The above discussion is preserved as an archive of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.


Quoting this article: "Metal trauma plates are typically considered the best for reducing blunt trauma, thanks to the conductive traits of the material."

Does conductive refer to electrical conductivity or something else?

Thanks, CBHA (talk) 20:28, 1 December 2012 (UTC)

Conductive, more specifically,physical/kinetic conduction, the transfer of kinetic energy from a high energy portion of a solid to low energy portions. The same as thermal and electrical conduction. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Mtotin (talkcontribs) 09:47, 4 December 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for the reply.
This is remarkable. Since copper for example is highly conductive of electricity but quite malleable, whereas (some) ceramics are very strong but do not conduct electricity, I find it hard to believe that kinetic and electric conductivity are the same. CBHA (talk) 01:58, 5 December 2012 (UTC)