Talk:Tropical cyclone naming
|Tropical cyclone naming is a featured list, which means it has been identified as one of the best lists produced by the Wikipedia community. If you can update or improve it, please do so.|
|This article appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page as Today's featured list on March 27, 2017.|
|Current status: Featured list|
|WikiProject Anthroponymy||(Rated FL-class, High-importance)|
|WikiProject Tropical cyclones / Meteorology||(Rated FL-class, High-importance)|
|Archives: 1 2.|
The next name is....
Earlier today @Jared: came along and removed information on what name is due to be used next in the North Atlantic. His reasons were that in his opinion: "the next storm's name isn't encyclopedic and leads to outdated info if not kept up to date" and that the "information can be gleaned elsewhere." I personally welcome and sort of agree with Jared's reasonings, especially since for a while have not been a fan off seeing the WPAC list updated two or three times a week at the height of the season. I also note that we can not include The next name is.... for all basins since we have no idea what PNG's next name will be. However, I know that @Typhoon2013 and Dustin V. S.: had a brief discussion about this earlier this year and as a result i am pinging them as a curtsey in order for them to express their views here.Jason Rees (talk) 17:48, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- Thanks @Jason Rees:, didn't realize this had been discussed before. Came off as a bit crass in the edit summary-- I don't edit often anymore, but this just struck me as a little absurd. In the meantime it looks like you reverted me, no problem, but so if the outcome of this discussion ends up being that the sentence isn't necessary, I'll let you all take care of removing it again. I'll monitor this in case you're looking for more input! Jared (t) 20:33, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- @Jared: I put these sentences because 1.) when I first visited that page, the same sentence was only mentioned in one of the sections (I think it was either the N Atl. or the EPac idk) and 2.) I feel like something like this will help people understand what is the next name for storms. Otherwise we put in the start of each section, See also: 2015 article (2015 PTS, PHS, etc). Typhoon2013 (talk) 05:52, 1 October 2015 (UTC)
- Jared, it seems like you are not responding for 22 days now. IMO we should keep this because I always update this. Typhoon2013 (talk) 06:00, 22 October 2015 (UTC)
- I have personally only just seen your message Typhoon2013, but just because you constantly update it does not mean we should keep something that is not easily verified by sources and that applies to both this article and the season articles.
Orphaned references in Tropical cyclone naming
I check pages listed in Category:Pages with incorrect ref formatting to try to fix reference errors. One of the things I do is look for content for orphaned references in wikilinked articles. I have found content for some of Tropical cyclone naming's orphans, the problem is that I found more than one version. I can't determine which (if any) is correct for this article, so I am asking for a sentient editor to look it over and copy the correct ref content into this article.
Reference named "PAGASA Nona":
- From 2015 Pacific typhoon season: "PHL ends 2015 with less typhoons; to decommission 2 killer cyclones" (Press release). Manila Bulletin. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- From Typhoon Melor (2015): "PHL ends 2015 with less typhoons; to decommission 2 killer cyclones". Philstar.com (Press release). The Philippine Star. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
I apologize if any of the above are effectively identical; I am just a simple computer program, so I can't determine whether minor differences are significant or not. AnomieBOT⚡ 07:42, 3 January 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 11 external links on Tropical cyclone naming. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/tcp/documents/TCP-23EDITION2015.pdf
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.imd.gov.in/section/nhac/dynamic/RSMC-2009.pdf
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/tcp/documents/OperationalPlan_TCP-12_WMO-1178_2016_En.pdf
- Corrected formatting/usage for https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/tcp/documents/RAV_OpPlan_TCP-24_WMO-1181_2016_Final.pdf
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.mar.mil.br/dhn/dhn/downloads/normam/normam_19.pdf
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/about/names.shtml
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://pagasa.dost.gov.ph/index.php/news/92-press-release/682-pagasa-replaces-names-of-2014-destructive-typhoons
- Corrected formatting/usage for https://web.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/index.php/news/92-press-release/682-pagasa-replaces-names-of-2014-destructive-typhoons
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.rsmcnewdelhi.imd.gov.in/images/pdf/cyclone-awareness/tc-names/tc-names.pdf
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.meteo.fr/temps/domtom/La_Reunion/webcmrs9.0/anglais/activiteope/liste_noms.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070330212754/http://www.meteo.fr/temps/domtom/La_Reunion/ to http://www.meteo.fr/temps/domtom/La_Reunion/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.