Talk:Undergraduate education

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Universities (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Universities, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of universities and colleges on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
WikiProject Education (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Education, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of education and education-related topics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's importance scale.

Header per country[edit]

May I vouch for adding an individual header for European countries that have more extensive explanation? Examples are The Dutch, German and French systems which differ too much to responsably have them under the same header. European systems that don't really have an elaborate description yet can stay under the 'Other European systems' header. Lrjohnst (talk) 22:24, 29 October 2012 (UTC)


Nothing of this page but the very first sentence sounds like anything I've ever heard of before - the distinction of "colleges" that offer "lower-level courses" while only universites offer "upper-level courses"; the "Alma Mater" society - it means nothing to me. At the very least I think a lot of the "usually"s and so forth should be replaces with "sometimes"; it might be better to start this page over from scratch. -AJD

As of March 18 or 19, 2010, the introductory sentence consists of one, long (5-line) "run-on" sentence. Does anybody have the ambition to break it up into smaller sentences ? H Padleckas (talk) 03:28, 19 March 2010 (UTC)

For that gender neutral alternative to "freshman", where I am, University of Toronto, we use frosher. I'm not going to edit the article because I don't know how popular the term "frosher" is. - AK-999 (Dec 7th, 2005)


The equivalent at German universities might be de:Vordiplom (there are also Bachelor's and Master's degrees, which are planned to substitute the Diplom as given in the text), but there's no article about this topic at the moment (see Akademischer Grad). -- Amtiss, SNAFU ? 21:12, 4 January 2006 (UTC)

Shouldn't the alternative definition of 'Undergraduate' as the name of a blog poster be on a disambiguation page (if at all), rather than within this article which is about an 'undergraduate' in the educational sense?? Mazzy 12:38, 22 March 2006 (UTC)


Would it be incorrect to refer to someone as an undergraduate if they haven't yet started a bachelor's degree? Njál 12:42, 28 April 2006 (UTC)

Yes, an undergraduate is someone involved in pre-graduate studies at university level. MartinDK 14:44, 26 August 2006 (UTC)

British Universities[edit]

While it is true that 3-year Bachelor's degrees are the norm in England for humanities and social sciences courses, that is not the case in engineering, where 4-year degrees now predominate, especially in the top schools. Interestingly, a 4-year engineering degree in England is labeled an MEng (Master of Engineering) giving the incorret impression that it is a postgraduate degree when, in reality, it is not. 01:04, 26 August 2006 (UTC)

3-year courses are also predominant for most sciences too, those that do offer 4 year courses do give the equivalent of a Masters,even though it is technically an undergraduate degree and usually there is also the chance of doing the 3 year course instead. Gemnoire 14:52, 4 July 2007 (UTC)

Doesn't education in the rest of the UK end at 16? --Jonnylinuxnerd (talk) 11:21, 3 April 2008 (UTC)

Compulsory education ends at 16 across the whole of the UK (GCSEs in England or Standards in Scotland) but the more academic pupils stay on until 18 (A-levels)in England and Wales and 17 (Highers) or 18 (Advanced Highers) in Scotland. (talk) 13:29, 26 October 2008 (UTC)

Other European Countries[edit]

The article states that the old degrees awarded roughly correspond to a Masters Degree. This is inaccurate. In Denmark the old degrees correspond exactly to a Masters Degree. Bachelor Degrees were introduced to provide a shorter education within a specific field. If anything it is the Bachelor Degrees that cannot be directly compared to a US Bachelor Degree since a US Bachelor Degree is less specialized within a specific science. Interestingly, most Danish students in their final year of their undergraduate studies usually use books aimed at US graduate courses. MartinDK 14:40, 26 August 2006 (UTC)

Whereas in France, the old degrees would correspond to a bachelors, in Belgium to a masters (though they have certificates indicating effective bachelor level), I don't have enough information to comment on other nations. But the fact is, in most of europe there is a wide number of different 'degree-level' qualifications which all take different times, and correspond to different levels when you compare to the anglo-saxon system, and which often also depend considerably on the subject being studied and where it is being studied. Hence the Bologna process to sort it out somewhat. Of course even between the UK and the US, despite using the same terms, there are distinct differences, the predomient being that UK students do specialize significantly and will generally only complete modules directly relating to their particular subject (with maybe one or two electives). Gemnoire 14:49, 4 July 2007 (UTC)

"Unlike in the US, where students engage in general studies during the first years of tertiary education and only specialize in a "major" during the last years of college"

While this could be true in some programs, from my experience this is far from a universal practice. In most engineering or science programs I've seen, for example, major specific classes are done pretty much from the start. In addition, a major is usually declared from the start at schools I've seen, although an "Undeclared" major is often a possibility. Anyways, unless anyone has any objections, this statement should probably be removed due to inaccuracies. 19:50, 2 October 2006 (UTC)

Also what's with the comparison to American universities? The idea of a system where you pick your specialisation first is pretty popular throughout the world. Surely there should just be a separate section for yanks. -- 22:42, 23 March 2007 (UTC)


1. Is it really necessary to have a separate heading for Ireland where it basically says "Ditto above"? I think this looks quite silly. 2. "Other European Systems". Why is this section mainly focused on comparing continental European system to the US one? The English-language Wikipedia is not the "American Wikipedia". 3. Why is the said US system not explained at all? Or are we expected to know this already? HJV

graduate vs. undergraduate[edit]

what is the difference between a graduate and an undergraduate? —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 20:04, 7 September 2007 (UTC)

American system?[edit]

Where is the American system described? It is referenced multiple times in the article but it is never described. --Eduardo Habkost 19:59, 6 November 2007 (UTC)

Undergraduate Vs. Graduate[edit]

What is the difference between UG and G??? —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 02:27, 25 March 2008 (UTC)

Wheres Canada??[edit]

someone do it up72.137.10.46 (talk) 11:52, 22 October 2008 (UTC)

# of students in college[edit]

There has been only over 37,406 students in this college.

Associate's degree[edit]

The rackets in the first sentence are ad odds with the text at the link: "Undergraduate education is an education level taken prior to gaining a first degree (except for an associate's degree)," would indicate an associate'd degree doesn't involve undergraduate education. At the link, though it says: "An associate's degree is an undergraduate academic degree" If you keep that exclusion in brackets you should explain how it's excluded right there in the next phrase. I don't want to mess things up, but this needs fixing by an expert. The text about only community colleges in the US awarding associate's degrees is way outdated, if it ever applied. Quite a few four year colleges offer associate's degrees. Particularly online universities offer this as a degree to people who wish to take a break and continue working towards a bachelor's or higher later on. (talk) 18:01, 20 July 2010 (UTC)

Alphabetical order?[edit]

Curious as to why this article isn't in alphabetical order. Is there a reason why the order is done in a sloppy fashion?

Additionally, wouldn't "Other" land at the bottom of the article? — Preceding unsigned comment added by Kyanwan (talkcontribs) 18:52, 30 August 2015 (UTC)