From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Disambiguation
WikiProject icon This page is within the scope of WikiProject Disambiguation, an attempt to structure and organize all disambiguation pages on Wikipedia. If you wish to help, you can edit the page attached to this talk page, or visit the project page, where you can join the project or contribute to the discussion.


"There's no such thing as undertow" [1] heqs 15:01, 24 April 2007 (UTC)

The disambiguation page for "undertow" is a bit ...ambiguous. It says: "Undertow (not to be confused with rip current) is a strong flow of water returning seaward from the shore." (my italics) Yet, the page on "rip current" says "Colloquially a rip current is known simply as a rip, or the misnomer undertow." Although "undertow" may be a misnomer, scientifically speaking, it seems it is nevertheless used as a synonym for "rip current" and the definition is pretty much the same. So it makes no sense for undertow "not to be confused with" rip current. It seems to me the disambiguation page for undertow should instead read something like "(a colloquial term for rip current)". Either that or a definition that distinguishes it from rip current should be given here. Perhaps someone (who knows for sure) can clear this up? Thanks. Pegasuss 15:24, 25 April 2007 (UTC)

I think you are correct. Have a look at the link I posted above. Feel free to make the change. heqs 20:27, 25 April 2007 (UTC)
Done! Pegasuss 17:15, 28 April 2007 (UTC)
They aren't equivalent terms, though. An undertow is a sub-surface current that can, if strong, pull swimmers under the water, and is associated with the backwash from waves. A rip current, meanwhile, is an outward current from shore, which is actually strongest at the surface, and does not normally pull swimmers under (swimmers who drown as a result of rip currents generally do so as a result of exhaustion from trying to swim against the current). --Delirium 21:47, 9 August 2007 (UTC)
This article makes no mention of the undertows (also called under-currents) that sometimes happen at the base of water falls:: —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 17:23, 16 February 2009 (UTC)