Talk:Vertical draft

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Severe weather (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Severe weather, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of severe weather on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.

Merge proposal[edit]

The direction of the proposed merge may be a point of contention. I am aware of the fact that in other languages the word Thermik (or related expressions) is used for this phenomenon. On the basis of analogy with other languages one could argue that the resulting article should be called "Thermal". The problem I have with that is that the expression "Thermal" is very ambiguous; a problem that does not exist in other languages since "Thermik" is clearly different from "Thermal". JdH 10:15, 28 June 2006 (UTC)

I have been a glider pilot for 24 years and never heard the term 'vertical draft' or even 'vertical draught'. (Draft is an American spelling incidentally). The vertical draft article deals with both updraughts and downdraughts from all causes. Thermals are a special instance and deserve specific treatment in a separate article. The relevance of other languages escapes me. What matters in en.wikipedia is what English-speaking people understand. JMcC 17:15, 30 August 2006 (UTC)

While I agree thermals are a specialized case, the issue is whether or not there is enough information to warrent a seperate article, or merely a section in the vertical draft article. -Runningonbrains 18:24, 27 October 2006 (UTC)
I agree that the thermal article should stay as a stand-alone article documenting the special case. Dhaluza 05:30, 13 December 2006 (UTC)
I have recategorized Thermal in aviation terminology. Thermal is the aviation term, vertical draft is not. I'm pulling the proposed merge tag since there is no support for it.Dhaluza 11:47, 29 January 2007 (UTC)

A thermal is to most glider pilots a vertically rising column of air, or simply an area where you can climb. if you said vertical draft i would know what you were talking about, however being an english speaker i would say, "oh you mean a thermal".

Air pocket[edit]

Currently 'air pocket' redirects here. But there is also an article on Clear-air turbulence. Should 'air pocket' continue to redirect here or instead redirect to there? Feline Hymnic (talk) 13:44, 16 August 2010 (UTC)

Air Movement?[edit]

In taking a look at this part: "A low pressure region will attract air from the surrounding area, which will move towards the center and then rise, creating an updraft. A high pressure region will then attract air from the surrounding area, which will move towards the center and sink, creating a downdraft.", it doesn't seem right to describe a low pressure region attracting air from the surrounding area, and then describing a high pressure region also attracting air from the surrounding region. But I'm no expert, so not sure how to clarify this. Jeffhoy (talk) 15:06, 4 October 2012 (UTC)

External links modified[edit]

Hello fellow Wikipedians,

I have just modified one external link on Vertical draft. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:

When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at {{Sourcecheck}}).

You may set the |checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting |needhelp= to your help request.

  • If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
  • If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.

If you are unable to use these tools, you may set |needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.

Cheers.—InternetArchiveBot (Report bug) 21:24, 20 July 2016 (UTC)